Tuesday, December 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1st segment of this was dedicated on July 4, 1930; the next, August 30, 1936; section 3, on September 17, 1937 & the last, on July 2, 1939

Jackie Fuchs: 12400+12200=24600 (3x = $58,689)
Conor McMahon: 12000+12000=24000
Anne Cushman: 9600-9599=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mount Rushmore (Anne – Route 66)

Daily Doubles
Anne: 400-1000
Conor: 8400-3000
Conor: 7000+5000

Coryats
Jackie: 12400
Conor: 11200
Anne: 10600

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jackie: 6400
Conor: 4000
Anne: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good chat segment with Jackie as she got to mention she played bass for the Runaways. Alex brought together playing bass, Malibu Barbie, attorney and writer and asked Jackie about all of the things. Jackie said she gets bored easily. Alex asked Jackie if she is married. She said, “No, happily divorced.” There was laughter and Alex got the capper with, “As you said, you get bored easily.” [More laughter]

On DD2 Conor bet for the lead with a pretty 3000 and missed it. On DD3, even though there were five more clues left, it seemed like it could be the last one. Conor bet a pretty 5000 which only got him to second place. It was a $22K+ mistake.

Off the FJ! category I did not play the precall game other than to think of a few states starting in the west and what would be a landmark. Iolani Palace. Hearst Castle. I stopped there after two as it was not like I could do all the states during the break.

Just before the reveal of the clue I told myself it could be something easy and common like (What turned out to be the correct response.) I laughed when I saw the clue as my last second instinct was on the money.

A nice third win by Jackie to hit the tracker, playing without the aid of any DDs. Conor’s +2000 overall on his DDs did not quite work for him.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Playing for second place on that last DD will often (usually?) result in a second place finish.

And once again - some interesting FJ wagers. :roll:
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

I found the word segment sufficiently distracting that I wasted many seconds pondering linear objects (arches, bridges...) before refocusing on the era and the glaring "four pieces" hint.

It's close, but I'm calling this one an embarrassing miss.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I get the sense that most of Conor's local watch party (assuming he has one) will get this correct.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got FJ right again (2/5 so far this week). This was pretty much an instaget. My logic: Four dates = four faces = Mt. Rushmore.

All three players played well (although I agree Conor should have bet for the lead on that last DD), congrats to Jackie for win # 3.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Malibu Barbie had a great interview today.

Looked forward to the Roald Dahl category. My 2nd grade teacher read most of his books to us (although strangely not "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory").

I almost blanked on "Willy Wonka" too, so I sympathize with Jackie there. Only miss was "Matilda". I got sidetracked by "Amelia Bedelia" which I knew was wrong, and that caused me to momentarily forget that yes, "Matilda" was Roald Dahl and not another author like I thought.

I thought it was "walk a mile in your shoes", so "shoes" being in the clue threw me for a loop. NHO "...in your moccasins".

Those helicopter clues were way too long IMO.

Also whiffed on the "impossible words". Feels like I'm choking on word categories a lot more often of late.

Tim Berners-Lee is just Hawley-Smoot-ish enough to ring a bell, but I couldn't pull it up in time.

Couldn't think of a US landmark that would come in "segments". Had Rushmore come to mind, I would have rejected it as not fitting "segments".

Lach Trash: Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mariah Carey
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Got too caught up on "segment" and couldn't come up with anything that made any sense to me.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm I thought it was "walk a mile in your shoes", so "shoes" being in the clue threw me for a loop. NHO "...in your moccasins".
I've NHO moccasins either.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

horrid final daily double wager...it is pointless to wager the amt he did...all in or nothing...then he did as i expected him to do on the final...go all in there when he should have just wagered enough to cover the 3rd place person's double...guy deserved to lose
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch, Conor! That's going to sting for years to come. His expression at the end of DJ suggests he has already begun to understand what he just did to himself. But that didn't stop him from overwagering on FJ making it impossible for him to win on a triple stumper. That would've been an even rougher way to lose than the way he actually lost.

Like Mark I pre-called the correct response and was surprised to see the clue magically line up.

Alex had a peculiar way of pronouncing Chrysostom--KRISS-oh-stohm or something like that. I liked the 4th CENTURY BOOKSTORE category. Well done, writers!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm Looked forward to the Roald Dahl category. My 2nd grade teacher read most of his books to us (although strangely not "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory").
Did she read Danny, the Champion of the World? That was my precall for the category, even though I knew it was too obscure. I doubt that even a clue spotting contestants "this champion of the world" could get them to cough up the name Danny.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm I've NHO moccasins either.
They're a soft leather shoe originally worn by Native Americans.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm I've NHO moccasins either.
They're a soft leather shoe originally worn by Native Americans.
But that's not important right now!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I knew clearing the DJ board was doomed when Conor went straight to the helecoptor category. I wanted to see that last Number 1 Hit clue. :evil:
Might have had a chance if Jackie hadn't been DD hunting. Speeking of which, she diverted to the top of the board and practically handed DD3 to Conor. :roll:
opusthepenguin wrote: But that didn't stop him from overwagering on FJ making it impossible for him to win on a triple stumper. That would've been an even rougher way to lose than the way he actually lost.
Anne's Final wager was almost as bad. She had the money to put her in the driver's seat on a TS, since she had enough to boost herself over the leader's standing score, with plenty left over to stay above Conor's left over if he just bet (7201) to cover her doubling.
A good shortegy wager for Conor would have been between 2401 and 7000.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*shakes fist* Damn you Billie Holiday!! ( 29R/1W J! round...)

My first thought was four corners before somewhat quickly going, wait, no, they wouldn't do that. But completing stone faces would easily be staggered!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Welp, the FJ streak had to end sometime. Guessed the Empire State Building. Derp.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

No mention of the fact that Joan Jett was in The Runaways?

$33,600 Coryat

J: 5/5 on Bollywood, Bodies of Water, and Likes & Ravers. 4/5 on Roald Dahl (I had never heard of Fantastic Mr. Fox)

DJ: 5/5 on Fourth Century Bookstore, 2/2 on Do You Compute?.

4/5 on Helicopters, only missed John Glenn because I misheard what I now assume is "Friendship 7" (based on the fact that John Glenn was the correct response, it seems the most likely candidate) as "French". Yet another reason to despise video clues. Disappointed at the prevalence of death helicopters, though...there are so many more amazing non-murderous/non-murder-accessory helicopters they could have focused on!

Also 4/5 on trees (said "cypress" instead of "mangrove," which meets the description but they specified the Galapagos and a quick Wikipedia search indicates that cypress trees don't grow that far south otherwise I'd have given myself credit). 2/4 on Impossible Words and 1/4 on No. 1 Songs.

FJ: "Segments" initially had me thinking Pentagon until I realized there were only four, came up with Mt. Rushmore at the last minute.

LT: I said "physical punishment" instead of "beating" but I'm giving myself credit, Temptations of St. Anthony, Limbo, Tim Berners-Lee
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am No mention of the fact that Joan Jett was in The Runaways?
I was waiting for her name to be brought up, but no, not yet.