2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm Washington Nationals def. Houston Astros 4-3 to win the 2019 MLB World Series. It's the first title in the history of the Nationals' franchise, which began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. Pitcher Stephen Strasburg was named series MVP.

This is also the first time in North American pro sports history that the road team won every game of a best-of-seven series.

Congrats to any Nats fans out there. I did not see this coming.
just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor
yeah he should probably change to the "big 3 pro north american sports leagues"
Big 3 wouldn’t be good wording, not considering the NFL as a big 3 ?

nfl does not use a series format for their playoffs...that is why i didnt say big 4...i guess if you want to be anal you can go with "big 3 pro north american sports leagues that use a series based playoff format"

Don't know why I expected you to know the difference between anal and correct here, but that's on me

Really, in the real world, not in your head, go ask anyone about the "Big 3" sports leagues in North America and see what questions you get for clarification as there are generally considered to be 4 major leagues, with a 5th one slowly becoming considered major (MLS).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In the category of presidential distinctions, the current office-holder may be the first to change his state domicile during his term. Which could make him the only presidential candidate who ran "from" one state for a first term and "from" a different state for a second term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/p ... dence.html
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm In the category of presidential distinctions, the current office-holder may be the first to change his state domicile during his term. Which could make him the only presidential candidate who ran "from" one state for a first term and "from" a different state for a second term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/p ... dence.html
Not quite the same, but Nixon was a resident of New York in 1968 after running as a Californian in 1960.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:20 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am

just to clarify "pro" sports, it is top level pro sports. The AHL had a 7 game series won by every visitor

nfl does not use a series format for their playoffs...that is why i didnt say big 4...i guess if you want to be anal you can go with "big 3 pro north american sports leagues that use a series based playoff format"

Don't know why I expected you to know the difference between anal and correct here, but that's on me

Really, in the real world, not in your head, go ask anyone about the "Big 3" sports leagues in North America and see what questions you get for clarification as there are generally considered to be 4 major leagues, with a 5th one slowly becoming considered major (MLS).
i am aware of what the big 4 are...i said big 3 here because within the context it is understood (well should be anyway) that the ones in question are those that use a series format to decide their champion
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:57 pm

i am aware of what the big 4 are...i said big 3 here because within the context it is understood (well should be anyway) that the ones in question are those that use a series format to decide their champion
You keep telling yourself that
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Okay, okay, move along...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 pm

i plan on it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

south africa wins the 2019 rugby world cup...beating england...this is their third title and tied for most all time with new zealand
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

James Dean, the iconic star of Rebel Without a Cause who died in a 1955 car crash, will posthumously star in an upcoming film through the use of CGI technology. The film, Finding Jack, is based on a novel about canine units serving in the Vietnam War. Dean’s character will have a secondary starring role. The producers say they have obtained the rights to use Dean’s image from his family and have their support.
davey

Post by davey »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm James Dean, the iconic star of Rebel Without a Cause who died in a 1955 car crash, will posthumously star in an upcoming film through the use of CGI technology. The film, Finding Jack, is based on a novel about canine units serving in the Vietnam War. Dean’s character will have a secondary starring role. The producers say they have obtained the rights to use Dean’s image from his family and have their support.
I was struck by the comment from one of the producers-
Barton added: "Now that we have closed with this iconic figure, we look forward to rapidly closing our remaining actors."

It took a moment's reflection to understand that he meant closing deals with other actors for the film...ones planning to remain alive through the filming, presumably...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ma-1252703
davey

Post by davey »

This controversy could make it onto the show, but in any case I was stirred by this article, invoking a certain Hitchcock film that has been the recent object of attention...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opin ... arvel.html
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2019 Toy Hall of Fame: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/us/2019- ... index.html

Matchbox Cars, coloring book, Magic: The Gathering
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:56 pm 2019 Toy Hall of Fame: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/us/2019- ... index.html

Matchbox Cars, coloring book, Magic: The Gathering
matchbox cars and coloring book go in the same year as magic the gathering? the latter is been around for less than 30 years and the former have been perennial "toys" for a long time
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

university of utah men's basketball team sets a record for margin of victory against a division 1 opponent by beat mississippi valley state 143-49...the 93 points eclipsed the record by 2, which was previously held by university of tulsa when they beat prairie view a&m by 91 in 1995..141-50
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

"Ok, boomer".

Watch for this retort/insult to show up in some form in a future clue. Two possible points of entry in order of likeliness.

1. William Shatner (b. 1931, Silent Generation) responds to a Twit who used the dismissive reply on him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... d-20833450

2. Chlöe Swarbrick (New Zealand MP, b. 1994) uses the reply on an older MP.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/world/ ... oomer-jibe
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am 2. Chlöe Swarbrick (New Zealand MP, b. 1994) uses the reply on an older MP.
And before anyone says anything, yes, she writes it with two dots above the O rather than over the E. It's a mistake she made as a child that she simply stuck with.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am "Ok, boomer".

Watch for this retort/insult to show up in some form in a future clue. Two possible points of entry in order of likeliness.

1. William Shatner (b. 1931, Silent Generation) responds to a Twit who used the dismissive reply on him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... d-20833450

2. Chlöe Swarbrick (New Zealand MP, b. 1994) uses the reply on an older MP.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/world/ ... oomer-jibe
an australian site used it on jane fonda today...she is not a baby boomer and she is for protesting climate change

the first use of this lame saying was on some lame tik tok video
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am 2. Chlöe Swarbrick (New Zealand MP, b. 1994) uses the reply on an older MP.
And before anyone says anything, yes, she writes it with two dots above the O rather than over the E. It's a mistake she made as a child that she simply stuck with.
didn't even realise that name was supposed to have 2 dots over the e..not really needed as everyone knows how to pronounce it these days
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Just going to blockquote most of this...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indi ... SKBN1XJ034
India’s Supreme Court on Saturday awarded a bitterly contested religious site to Hindus, dealing a defeat to Muslims who also claim the land that has sparked some of the country’s bloodiest riots since independence.

The ruling in the dispute between Hindu and Muslim groups paves the way for the construction of a Hindu temple on the site in the northern town of Ayodhya [Faizabad district, Uttar Pradesh state], a proposal long supported by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu-nationalist party.
In 1992, a Hindu mob destroyed the 16th-century Babri Mosque on the site, triggering riots in which about 2,000 people, most of them Muslims, were killed across the country.
Hindus believe the site is the birthplace of Lord Ram, a physical incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu, and say the site was holy for Hindus long before the Muslim Mughals, India’s most prominent Islamic rulers, built the Babri mosque there in 1528.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:07 am Just going to blockquote most of this...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indi ... SKBN1XJ034
India’s Supreme Court on Saturday awarded a bitterly contested religious site to Hindus, dealing a defeat to Muslims who also claim the land that has sparked some of the country’s bloodiest riots since independence.

The ruling in the dispute between Hindu and Muslim groups paves the way for the construction of a Hindu temple on the site in the northern town of Ayodhya [Faizabad district, Uttar Pradesh state], a proposal long supported by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu-nationalist party.
In 1992, a Hindu mob destroyed the 16th-century Babri Mosque on the site, triggering riots in which about 2,000 people, most of them Muslims, were killed across the country.
Hindus believe the site is the birthplace of Lord Ram, a physical incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu, and say the site was holy for Hindus long before the Muslim Mughals, India’s most prominent Islamic rulers, built the Babri mosque there in 1528.
This is going to get ugly.