2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am ‘Roma’ and ‘The Favourite’ Lead Oscar Nominations With 10 Each

First Best Picture nomination for streaming-service Netflix for 'Roma'

Will Gaga deny Glenn her elusive first Oscar?!
Your link is not a link. :-!

Here's HuffPo with the full list:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/os ... a693c65d3e

Will Spike Lee finally get that Director win?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am ‘Roma’ and ‘The Favourite’ Lead Oscar Nominations With 10 Each

Ahh, fixed it. Will anyone host, will anyone watch, and will anyone care?? :P
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Ahh, fixed it. Will anyone host, will anyone watch, and will anyone care?? :P
This is Spike Lee's first nomination, which is unbelievable.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm This is Spike Lee's first nomination, which is unbelievable.
:shock:
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

Four players have been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America: closer Mariano Rivera, designated hitter Edgar Martinez, and starting pitchers Roy Halladay and Mike Mussina.

Martinez was elected in his final year on the writers' ballot. Rivera is the first unanimous selection in the Hall of Fame's history.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 pm Four players have been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America: closer Mariano Rivera, designated hitter Edgar Martinez, and starting pitchers Roy Halladay and Mike Mussina.

Martinez was elected in his final year on the writers' ballot.
From where he was four years ago (25%?), I'm shocked he got in. He should've been in years ago, but they've got something against DHs I guess.
Rivera is the first unanimous selection in the Hall of Fame's history.
&#$% YES!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:50 pm
&#$% YES!
He certainly deserves it, but the fact that he's the 1st? That's just moronic.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm
&#$% YES!
Definitely. At least that one writer who admitted he wasn't going to vote for Rivera (because he hates the closer role IIRC) had the decency to not submit a ballot, which preserved the unanimity. Or maybe he just feared the backlash. I'd love to know why anyone left people like Ruth, Williams, Aaron, Griffey etc. off their ballots, though I'm sure the reasons were stupid.
BlueberryPlainsNever
Contributor

Post by BlueberryPlainsNever »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm This is Spike Lee's first nomination, which is unbelievable.
It's his first for Best Director, but he was nominated for Best Documentary for Four Little Girls.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:26 pm
&#$% YES!
Definitely. At least that one writer who admitted he wasn't going to vote for Rivera (because he hates the closer role IIRC) had the decency to not submit a ballot, which preserved the unanimity. Or maybe he just feared the backlash. I'd love to know why anyone left people like Ruth, Williams, Aaron, Griffey etc. off their ballots, though I'm sure the reasons were stupid.
You've probably heard the reasoning - "they're getting in anyway, I'm gonna vote for someone who needs the vote instead."
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm
&#$% YES!
You've probably heard the reasoning - "they're getting in anyway, I'm gonna vote for someone who needs the vote instead."
The other reason often bandied about in the past was "If Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, etc. didn't get in unanimously, then no one should." That attitude was typically held by older voters, though, who have since lost voting privileges due to some reforms on who can vote.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 pm Four players have been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America: closer Mariano Rivera, designated hitter Edgar Martinez, and starting pitchers Roy Halladay and Mike Mussina.

Martinez was elected in his final year on the writers' ballot.
From where he was four years ago (25%?), I'm shocked he got in. He should've been in years ago, but they've got something against DHs I guess.
Rivera is the first unanimous selection in the Hall of Fame's history.
also might be worthwhile to note that Rivera - who was a Yankee fyi - is only the second Panamanian player in the HoF
(the other being Minnesota Twin Rod Carew)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

BlueberryPlainsNever wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm
It's his first for Best Director, but he was nominated for Best Documentary for Four Little Girls.
It may also be worth noting that he received an Honorary Oscar in 2015 and that he also got a nomination for 1989 for writing Do the Right Thing. I feel like the writers could take this information and turn it into a FJ clue.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The Packard Plant Bridge in Detroit has collapsed.
https://jalopnik.com/detroits-famous-pa ... 1831999175

More likely to get brought up, Juan Guaido has declared himself interm president of Venezuela.
The US, Canada, Brazil and Colombia have recognized Guaido.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vene ... SKCN1PH08T
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Debated whether or not to up this now, since it might not happen, but rote is also a way of learning...

Greece and Macedonia might reconcile over the name 'Macedonia'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46971182
If Greek MPs agree, the country that called itself Macedonia with the break-up of the former Yugoslavia will be called the Republic of North Macedonia.
A vote to back the historic deal will mean the new name comes into force, and everyone will have to use it.

The Republic of North Macedonia, or North Macedonia in short, will replace the existing title of Macedonia, which is formally called Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (or Fyrom) at the United Nations.

The language will continue to be known as Macedonian and its people known as Macedonians (citizens of the Republic of North Macedonia). In Macedonian the name will be Severna Makedonija. Greeks will know it as Voria Makedonia.

Greece will be required to back its northern neighbour's application to join Nato and the EU, a bone of contention for years.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ariana Grande's new single "7 Rings" has 10 credited songwriters, including Rodgers and Hammerstein. (It opens with an allusion to "My Favorite Things".)
earendel

Post by earendel »

2019 Caldecott Medal winner - Hello Lighthouse, written & illustrated by Sophie Blackall

2019 Newbery Medal winner - Merci Suarez Changes Gears, by Meg Medina
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

&#$% YES!
He is the best at his role, though being a Yankee probably raised his profile somewhat.

If I were a HOF voter, only some would get my vote the first year. Examples are the ones you listed. I think being a first ballot inductee carries greater weight than others who got in.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 pm If I were a HOF voter, only some would get my vote the first year. Examples are the ones you listed. I think being a first ballot inductee carries greater weight than others who got in.
To me, you're either a HOFer, or you're not. Certainly some require a few years to convince skeptics of their worthiness (it shouldn't have taken 10 years to elect Edgar Martinez), but if I think you deserve it, you get my vote, every year. I can live with the logic of "I only get 10 votes and others need my vote more" (though I don't think there are 10 worthy candidates most years), but IMO the whole 'first ballot' thing is meaningless, and usually only ever amounts to a no-doubt HOFer missing a few percentage points from his vote total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BTW, I will say that the intent of this thread is to make it a handy-dandy guide for people studying up on current events. I will also say that it would be my preference that any discussion beyond stating the facts of the current event should probably be taken to Reretaken Down in order to keep this thread relatively clean. I'm not criticizing anyone specifically, mind you.