Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7899, 2019-01-03

CONTESTANTS
Cade Varnado, an English instructor from Richmond, Virginia
Chrissy Bellizzi, a librarian from St. Louis, Missouri
Jonathan Dinerstein, a composer from Los Angeles, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $40,501)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hello, my friends. In his second appearance on our program yesterday, Jonathan started to build some positive momentum. He went into the final round with a commanding, though not uncatchable, lead. The game was not a runaway. So let's see what happens today with Chrissy and Cade. Good luck, players. Here we go. Now the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOW TO PLAY QUIDDITCH (4/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CROSSWORD CLUES "D" (5/5)
GETTING SQUIRRELLY (5/5)
MONDAY NIGHT NON-FOOTBALL TV (4/5)
WHAT'S THAT SMELL? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Chrissy: 10 R, 1 W
Cade: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cade found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Jonathan had $1,800, Chrissy had $1,400, and Cade was at $400. Cade wagered $1,000.

AMERICAN HISTORY $600: Alexander Hamilton Jr. got justice for his dad with Eliza Jumel hired him to handle her divorce from this man

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $4,600
Cade: $2,400
Chrissy: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Cade Varnado is from Richmond, Virginia. Cade, I wanna talk to you about Halloween and your costume of choice.

Cade: Well, my go-to costume for the past couple years has been Gillian Anderson's character from The X-Files, Agent Scully. There's just not a lot of long-haired ginger men in popular culture for me to choose from, so it was either that or Leif Erikson. So I did the whole gender-bent thing. It's pretty fun.

Alex: But you have the beard, which...

Cade: You know, I shaved it one year, and then I didn't the next year. Got--it's fun to experiment, yeah.

Alex: Same reaction from the crowds.

Cade: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Chrissy Bellizzi from St. Louis, Missouri. What's this about your cat locking you out of your apartment?

Chrissy: Yes.

Alex: How is that possible?

Chrissy: So one of our cats, he is very mischievous. And we used to live in an apartment that had one of those swing latches on the doors. One day, after we had both left for work, he must have jumped up high enough to bat it closed on us. And by the time we both got off work, the apartment management had gone home for the day. We couldn't get a hold of the emergency supervisor. So what we ended up doing was running to the store, buying a ladder, climbing in the window.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jonathan Dinerstein is our champion. He is a composer. What kind of music are we talking about? You mentioned you're a big music fan for films. Is that the kind of music you compose?

Jonathan: Yes, it is. I write music for film and television.

Alex: Obviously you enjoy it. Is it a good-paying job?

Jonathan: It can be.

Alex: That's good enough.

Jonathan: Sometimes.

Alex: As is the case with all jobs. They can be good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HOW TO PLAY QUIDDITCH $800: For a Bludger, which eliminates other players by contact, you can use this ball; just ask Patches O'Houlihan
(Chrissy: What is a Quaffle?)
(Cade: What is a soccer ball?)

MONDAY NIGHT NON-FOOTBALL TV $800: On this game show Howie Mandel asked a simple question that often elicited a difficult answer

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $8,200
Chrissy: $3,600
Cade: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CITY FLAGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THAT BOOK IS MAKING ME SICK (5/5)
ACRONYMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ARCHITECTURE (2/3)
EXTRAORDINARY RENDITIONS (5/5)
BRAND OF "BROTHERS" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chrissy: 9 R, 1 W
Jonathan: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Cade: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cade snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jonathan had $8,200, Chrissy had $5,200, and Cade was at $5,000. Cade wagered $2,000.

CITY FLAGS $1200: The wavy lines symbolize the convergence of the Missouri & Mississippi Rivers on the flag of this large city
(Alex: You noticed the fleur-de-lis.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jonathan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Jonathan had $12,600, Chrissy had $7,600, and Cade was at $9,800. Jonathan wagered $3,000.

ACRONYMS $1600: TED talks began in 1984 at a conference on this, entertainment & design

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARCHITECTURE $1600: A fanlight isn't a fixture with rotating blades--it's one of these

BRAND OF "BROTHERS" $1600: In 1878 Austin & R.W. began selling coffee in San Francisco, becoming this brand

CITY FLAGS $800: Remember the flag of this U.S. city?
(Jonathan: What is the Alamo?)
(Cade: What is Austin, Texas?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $21,600
Chrissy: $11,200
Cade: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1940s HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Jonathan: Wager $801 to cover Chrissy, but no more than $1,199 so as not to fall behind Cade's doubled score.
Chrissy: You have the hope of surpassing Jonathan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,401 to force Jonathan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Cade.
Cade: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Air Force pilot Gail Halvorson earned the nickname "Candy Bomber" for his actions during this 1948-49 event

FINAL SCORES
Cade: $10,200 + $10,000 = $20,200 (What is the Berlin air drop?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Chrissy: $11,200 - $5,000 = $6,200 (What is the Blitzkrieg?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jonathan: $21,600 + $801 = $22,401 (What is the Berlin air lift?) (3-day champion: $62,902)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $20,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Chrissy: $11,200, 19 R, 2 W
Cade: $9,000, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 21/59 = .356
Chrissy: 19/58 = .328
Cade: 15/60 = .250
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AMERICAN HISTORY $1000: This Michigan businessman once fired all his accounting staff, leaving others to figure income by weighing invoices

HOW TO PLAY QUIDDITCH $600: Sounding like a drink served with another drink, this player scores points throwing the Quaffle ball
(Cade: What is a Bludger?)

GETTING SQUIRRELLY $800: The Siberian is the only non-North American type of this, a small, striped creature in the squirrel family
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

GETTING SQUIRRELLY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a squirrel and a rattlesnake on the monitor.) Certain ground squirrels fend off rattlesnakes by shaking their tails & creating heat, & since the snakes detect the heat via this type of light, they go defensive & leave their prey be
(Cade: What is ultraviolet light?)

CITY FLAGS $1600: The four stars on this Midwest city's flag represent a fort, a fire & two expositions

CITY FLAGS $2000: The two City Hall towers combine to make the letter "T" on the flag of this metropolis

ARCHITECTURE $2000: A synonym for "merciless" or "cruel", followed by "-ism", gets you this style that emphasizes austerity

ACRONYMS $2000: They're the 3 groups that form the CAP in ASCAP
(Chrissy: What are artists--or artists, songwriters and composers?)

EXTRAORDINARY RENDITIONS $2000: "Let freedom ring", Marian Anderson sang, opening her 1939 concert at the Lincoln Memorial with this patriotic tune
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CITY FLAGS $400: Residents of this Italian city can shroud themselves in its flag

ACRONYMS $800: They're the YUP in yuppies
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Aaron Burr
a dodgeball
Deal or No Deal
St. Louis
technology
a window
Hills Bros.
San Antonio
the Berlin airlift (or Berlin air drop)
(Henry) Ford
a Chaser
a chipmunk
infrared
Chicago
Toronto
Brutalism
composers, authors and publishers
"My Country, 'Tis Of Thee"
Turin
young urban professionals
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1940s HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Air Force pilot Gail Halvorsen earned the nickname “Candy Bomber” for his actions during this 1948-49 event

Jonathan Dinerstein: 21600+801=22401 (3x = $62,902)
Chrissy Bellizzi: 11200-5000=6200
Cade Varnado: 10200+10000=20200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Berlin Airlift (Chrissy – Blitzkrieg) (Cade – Berlin air drop)
Daily Doubles
Cade: 400+1000
Cade: 5000+2000
Jonathan: 12600+3000

Coryats
Jonathan: 20200
Chrissy: 11200
Cade: 9000

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 8200
Chrissy: 3600
Cade: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The stumper for the phrase on Howie Mandel’s show had me laugh since I heard it last night watching the new episodes on the reboot on CNBC. It’s the only time I watch that channel when it’s not the Olympics airing. The players being allowed a counteroffer is an interesting twist.

If Jonathan is having a viewing party he may want to duck out on the clue in CITY FLAGS for the one that wanted a Texas city. It was hilarious when he gave the landmark instead. Austin and then TS was even worse by the challengers.

Alex shows 1940s HISTORY as the category. What does he do next? Of course it’s, “You’re all too young.”

I’m too young as well although I wrote the correct response immediately and kept it to two words unlike the gentlemen. Whatever works. FJ! responses do not have to be pefect.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

That quidditch category is going to get a lot of viewer feedback from people who have only read the Harry Potter books and are unaware that the rules to wizard quidditch (as played in the book) are slightly different from Muggle quidditch (as played in real life).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am The stumper for the phrase on Howie Mandel’s show had me laugh since I heard it last night watching the new episodes on the reboot on CNBC. It’s the only time I watch that channel when it’s not the Olympics airing. The players being allowed a counteroffer is an interesting twist.

If Jonathan is having a viewing party he may want to duck out on the clue in CITY FLAGS for the one that wanted a Texas city. It was hilarious when he gave the landmark instead. Austin and then TS was even worse by the challengers.

Alex shows 1940s HISTORY as the category. What does he do next? Of course it’s, “You’re all too young.”

I’m too young as well although I wrote the correct response immediately and kept it to two words unlike the gentlemen. Whatever works. FJ! responses do not have to be pefect.
Maybe they didn't have history classes when Alex was a kid? Because yes, he seems completely befuddled at how anyone would be able to respond to a clue about a time before they were born.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Jonathan on the third win. It's been a while since we've had someone win exactly two. Adriana Ciccone to be exact.

No clue on FJ.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Another "nice to be here, I don't even want to try to win wager". We can assume Vermonter is still drinking when this occurs.

There was such a big reaction when she got over 50% of first on the last clue before the buzzer. She had to know.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am The stumper for the phrase on Howie Mandel’s show had me laugh since I heard it last night watching the new episodes on the reboot on CNBC. It’s the only time I watch that channel when it’s not the Olympics airing. The players being allowed a counteroffer is an interesting twist.

Maybe they didn't have history classes when Alex was a kid? Because yes, he seems completely befuddled at how anyone would be able to respond to a clue about a time before they were born.
This game also contained a clue about the Lincoln assassination, which many of us are too young to remember.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Couldn't think of anything else but the Berlin Airlift for FJ, but thought it was in the ’50s.
LOL for the game:. answered skunk for chipmunk in the squirrel category, so guess what comes up later in 'What's that smell?' :lol:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Lach Trash: dodgeball, Deal or No Deal, San Antonio

Instaget FJ.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I expected a reversal after Cade's response of "immunodeficiency" for the "two words" represented by the ID in AIDS, but nope

HIV: human immunodeficiency virus
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome

Obviously, he knows what the letters stand for, but the judging on Jeopardy! is all over the place

I did love his Gillian Anderson / Agent Scully gender-bending cosplay story
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 pm Couldn't think of anything else but the Berlin Airlift for FJ, but thought it was in the ’50s.
LOL for the game:. answered skunk for chipmunk in the squirrel category, so guess what comes up later in 'What's that smell?' :lol:
My response to the Camus novel was The Plague...and what came next?

I was trying to decide between 'air drop' and 'air lift' (settled on air drop) because...well...technically they were dropping supplies into, not lifting them out of, Berlin...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Halvorsen is still alive, incidentally. I've heard the story, but completely forgot about it during the FJ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am If Jonathan is having a viewing party he may want to duck out on the clue in CITY FLAGS for the one that wanted a Texas city.
O'Brien's people came to the pub early to watch his second game last night, and though he participated in the quiz, he didn't show up till the game was over; he had no interest in watching himself, so it sounds like he's allergic to viewing parties altogether.
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 pm My response to the Camus novel was The Plague...and what came next?
That clue asked for a Sartre novel. (I thought The Plague too.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So I’m the first boardie to notice this?
682F2335-2710-4653-909F-60B36A7A7CD5.jpeg
682F2335-2710-4653-909F-60B36A7A7CD5.jpeg (144.75 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:42 pm So I’m the first boardie to notice this?682F2335-2710-4653-909F-60B36A7A7CD5.jpeg
I noticed it also.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

...for so long, it's not true

Ruling on "mulch" instead of "compost"?

Thought we'd get a Monday Night Football category in DJ.

One of these days someone needs to follow up "What is Istanbul?" with "not Constantinople."

Is anyone else able to predict a DD a half-second before because of the pause after when Alex says "Answer"?

Kinda disappointing how "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has shadowed Israel Kamakawiwoʻole anti-colonial politics. But that's hegemony for you...

Did anyone else collect those California Raisins figurines you used to be able to get at Hardee's in the early 90s?

THEY'RE FORMING IN A STRAIGHT LINE, THEY'RE GOING THROUGH A TIGHT WIND, THE KIDS ARE LOSING THEIR MINDS!

Coryat: $44,600. My best regular-play game since I've been keeping track.

J: 27R3P. Got DD. 5/5 in Crossword, Squirrelly, and TV. 4/5 in American History (not knowing, I said "Carolina" since it was named for Charles I), Smell, and Quidditch (didn't realize on the one clue that they were going for the adaptation of quidditch to the constraints of real life, which I am familiar with).

DJ: 23R4P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Acronyms (Initially said "Youth International Party" before I corrected myself in time), City Flags, and Renditions. 3/3 on Architecture. 4/5 on Brand (never heard of that coffee company). 1/5 on Book (figured out "Plague" from the years)

FJ: Instaget.

LT: Deal or No Deal, window, San Antonio
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Why does a Colombian get his named lisped?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pm Ruling on "mulch" instead of "compost"?
Was that one that had to start with C (or Co)? I forget.
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 pm I was trying to decide between 'air drop' and 'air lift' (settled on air drop) because...well...technically they were dropping supplies into, not lifting them out of, Berlin...
True, but the process of dropping them is called an airlift.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 pm [

I was trying to decide between 'air drop' and 'air lift' (settled on air drop) because...well...technically they were dropping supplies into, not lifting them out of, Berlin...
More technically, it's never really been called anything else but an Airlift...At least, 699,000 times on Google to less than 800 (depending on how you spell it).
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, on the other hand, has almost as many hits as the 4-word version - and the clue didn't ask for 2 words...
I've always thought of mulch as grass and leaves, and compost as stuff you collect in your kitchen. That may not be accurate, but I still can't see any reason not to accept mulch. (My own response.)
To be fair to Alex relying on a favorite cliche tonight, it's one I've heard young people use as an excuse for themselves, and Alex followed up with ..."but you're probably well read"... I'd be shocked if a young adult I cared about had not heard of the Berlin Wall...the Berlin Airlift, I'd be somewhat disappointed... :)