Fun with GSN's "Common Knowledge"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Fun with GSN's "Common Knowledge"

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is a new show on GSN. Each team member picks an answer and they get a bonus when all three are correct. No bonus on this one:
Spoiler

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Fun with GSN's "Common Knowledge"

Post by Volante »

Oh...oh my...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Tuesday's episode:
Question: Which author sets his works in Castle Rock, Maine.
Team's Answer: k. d. lang :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Sounds more painful than fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So it's basically Trivia Trap lite.
LucarioSnooperVixey

I eat smoke salmon practically every day. My intelligence explained.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm I eat smoke salmon practically every day. My intelligence explained.
apparently you aren't as smart as you thought you were...smoked salmon..not smoke salmon
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:35 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm I eat smoke salmon practically every day. My intelligence explained.
apparently you aren't as smart as you thought you were...smoked salmon..not smoke salmon
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm we aren't writing a fukkking dissertation on here...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm we aren't writing a fukkking dissertation on here...

ironic, huh? this dude is always trying to come across as the all knowing, so i had to break it down for him
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 am

ironic, huh? this dude is always trying to come across as the all knowing, so i had to break it down for him
Yeah, ironic that someone who got all defensive about a mention of non-capitalization would himself go correct someone's usage error.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:51 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 am
Yeah, ironic that someone who got all defensive about a mention of non-capitalization would himself go correct someone's usage error.
Grammar nazis Nazis always say more about themselves themselfs theirselves than whoever whomever they are calling out :).
Anyway, I'm pretty sure LSV meant to say he eats AND smokes salmon every day. Damn that auto-incorrect!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm Anyway, I'm pretty sure LSV meant to say he eats AND smokes salmon every day.
Had an uncle who heard that salmon was good for you, so he tried to smoke one. Too hard to keep it lit, so he went back to cigars.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey

They had an Amuse-Bouche question this week for those who remember that we were talking about Amuse-Bouche on J!Board about a year ago.

I knew the Levi Jeans question on Thursday's episode straight away. Phonograph-1877, Telephone-1876, Levi Jeans-1873.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ep. 18 - Softball Crew vs. Book Worms

It is a great episode and worth watching. GSN should be replaying it later tonight or early a.m. tomorrow.

Why?
Spoiler
The winning team knew the spread made with capers, anchovies & olives after the other team missed with hummus. I would have lost a side bet on that one getting a correct response. The winning team completed their victory by knowing the holiday with the most flowers sold.

The bonus round was even better with the first player getting two correct before missing. The second player missed her only question. That left the closer needing to take it off the sheet with five right for the money. Not all of the questions were gimmes.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm Ep. 18 - Softball Crew vs. Book Worms

It is a great episode and worth watching. GSN should be replaying it later tonight or early a.m. tomorrow.

Why?
Spoiler
The winning team knew the spread made with capers, anchovies & olives after the other team missed with hummus. I would have lost a side bet on that one getting a correct response. The winning team completed their victory by knowing the holiday with the most flowers sold.

The bonus round was even better with the first player getting two correct before missing. The second player missed her only question. That left the closer needing to take it off the sheet with five right for the money. Not all of the questions were gimmes.
I certainly agree that this was a great episode. I am so happy that the Book Worms won. It definitely makes up for the Classical Musicians' loss who I think were robbed(If only you were there with them. :lol: ).

Both teams missing the Karaoke question was I thought unexpected. Opera is Latin for works. Acapella is Italian for "Without Instruments".
The flowers question is also in the Battle of the Brains topic of QuizUp, so no way I was missing that.
Two questions about New Jersey in the Final. I got them both.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:08 am Both teams missing the Karaoke question was I thought unexpected. Opera is Latin for works. Acapella is Italian for "Without Instruments".
A cappella (two words, double p) is Italian for "in the manner of the chapel."
LucarioSnooperVixey

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:08 am Both teams missing the Karaoke question was I thought unexpected. Opera is Latin for works. Acapella is Italian for "Without Instruments".
Yep, that was a big boo-boo on my part. I literally just watched a re-run of a University Challenge episode where they had a question that started, "Literally meaning "in the manner of the chapel"." One of the contenders got it right away.

"Without Instruments" is what I used to think it meant for quite a while. I posted this late at night when my head isn't as straight. But I did recently learn that it meant "the manner of the chapel" but I forgot it. I feel so ashamed. :oops:
But at least I didn't need to know that to get Karaoke. :D
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 am
Yep, that was a big boo-boo on my part. I literally just watched a re-run of a University Challenge episode where they had a question that started, "Literally meaning "in the manner of the chapel"." One of the contenders got it right away.

"Without Instruments" is what I used to think it meant for quite a while. I posted this late at night when my head isn't as straight. But I did recently learn that it meant "the manner of the chapel" but I forgot it. I feel so ashamed. :oops:
But at least I didn't need to know that to get Karaoke. :D
I mean, it does mean that. It's just not Italian for it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 am "Without Instruments" is what I used to think it meant for quite a while. I posted this late at night when my head isn't as straight. But I did recently learn that it meant "the manner of the chapel" but I forgot it. I feel so ashamed. :oops:
"The manner of the chapel" was to sing without instruments, so that's what the phrase means, even in Italian. "Without instruments" just isn't a literal translation of the Italian.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/27 bonus round - :o
Spoiler
The first player got the first six right. He then missed. The second player missed. The third player missed. The pass was not used. Three chances for the $10,000 and they went 0/3. Ouch.
I don't it's been mentioned anywhere so I'll do it now. The host is Joey Fatone of NSYNC fame and more recent unmasked as,
Spoiler
The Rabbit
on Fox's The Masked Singer.