Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7917, 2019-01-29

CONTESTANTS
Niño Yosinao, a development assistant and data analyst from San Francisco, California
Chris Whalen, an editor from Austin, Texas
Jill Regan, an auditor from Dedham, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $31,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone. Gosh, I had fun on the program yesterday. There were very few incorrect responses, and we wound up at the end of the show with two players having amassed more than $30,000. $31,601 for our new champion, Jill. Chris and Niño, you have something to aim for then today. Here we go. The six categories you get to deal with in this first round are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN QUOTATIONS (3/5)
TV WORKPLACE SETTINGS (4/5) (Alex: In which you have to identify the type of workplace central to each television program.)
A THIN CATEGORY (4/5)
GOVERNMENT (5/5)
HAMBURGERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FRIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jill: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 9 R, 0 W
Niño: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chris: $2,800
Jill: $2,600
Niño: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Niño Yosinao from San Francisco, California, is a big fan of escape rooms.

Niño: Yes.

Alex: How did that come about?

Niño: Well, let's see. I just--I had some friends who were telling me about these escape rooms, and I decided to try one myself. And I'll tell you my record is 3 out of 12 currently, so I'm still working on a few things here.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Chris Whalen, editor from Austin, Texas. Makes perfumes--

Chris: Yes.

Alex: Using essential oils.

Chris: Mm-hm.

Alex: I'm familiar with those because my wife is a big fan of essential oils.

Chris: Oh, cool.

Alex: What's your favorite scent?

Chris: I think vetiver. It's a really nice, woodsy scent.

Alex: Of course. I have never heard of it.

Alex: Jill Regan is our champion. She's an auditor from Massachusetts who loves baking bread.

Jill: I do.

Alex: Now, are we talking about just your standard French loaf type of bread, or do you get fancy with ryes, pumpernickel, sourdough? Tell me.

Jill: I do have my own homemade sourdough starter.

Alex: Really?

Jill: I make homemade English muffins with it. Sandwich loaves. I make homemade hot dog buns as well.

Alex: Good for you. Count me in if you're ever distributing in this part of America.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jill found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Jill had $4,400, Chris had $4,400, and Niño was at $1,600. Jill wagered $3,000.

HAMBURGERS $1000: This Hamburger was a virtuoso pianist as well as one of the 19th century's great composers
(Jill: Who is Beethoven?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV WORKPLACE SETTINGS $400: "The Larry Sanders Show" & "Nightcap" starring Ali Wentworth

AMERICAN QUOTATIONS $600: Closing the government office that broke these in 1929, Henry Stimson said, "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

AMERICAN QUOTATIONS $800: In an 1862 speech in the Mississippi capitol, he said, "our enemies are a traditionless & a homeless race"
(Alex: President of the Confederacy.)

A THIN CATEGORY $800: This surname of British director David is also a good idea for a health-conscious meat selection

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chris: $5,200
Jill: $3,200
Niño: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BUILDING BIG (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ART & ARTISTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SINGING IN NON-MUSICAL MOVIES (5/5)
RUSSIAN LITERATURE (3/4)
MAKE IT LOOK GOOD (5/5)
YOU DO KNOW JACKALOPE (4/5) (Alex: And in that weird-sounding category, each correct response will be made up of some or all of the letters in "jackalope".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jill: 9 R, 0 W
Chris: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Niño: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jill had $9,200, Chris had $8,000, and Niño was at $5,000. Chris wagered $3,000.

ART & ARTISTS $1200: It was the married name of sculptor Gertrude Vanderbilt, who founded a museum of American art in New York City
(Chris: What is Frick?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Chris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Jill had $11,600, Chris had $11,000, and Niño was at $5,000. Chris wagered $1,000.

BUILDING BIG $800: With the Burj Kahlifa, the world's tallest building is in the Mideast for the 1st time since this was surpassed in 1311
(Alex: Chris?)
(Chris: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YOU DO KNOW JACKALOPE $2000: 6-letter word meaning to persuade with gentle encouragement

ART & ARTISTS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) Long identified as St. Catherine of Alexandria holding a spiked wheel, a 1930s restoration revealed that underneath was a lady holding a unicorn by this Renaissance master from Urbino

BUILDING BIG $1600: Almost 2,000 feet tall, the Makkah Royal Clock Tower in this country is right next to the Great Mosque

BUILDING BIG $2000: At China's Tianze Hotel, you can stay inside 14-story replicas of 3 traditional gods from this dynasty that ended in 1644
(Alex: Four clues left with less than a minute to go.)

RUSSIAN LITERATURE $1200: Dr. Zhivago falls in love with this woman, but oops! They're both married

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jill: $14,400
Chris: $10,000
Niño: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY DISASTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jill: Wager $5,601 to cover Chris.
Chris: You ought to wager to cover Niño, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $10,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $1,600 (to shut out Niño) or less than $1,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Niño). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jill.
Niño: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $3,000), you might try betting $4,201, playing for a win if Chris tries to two-thirds Jill (though, from this position, a wager of all $5,800 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Chris to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the radio in 1937 this 3-word exclamation came after "the smoke and the flames now...not quite to the mooring mast"

FINAL SCORES
Niño: $5,800 - $4,201 = $1,599 (What is Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Tora! Tora! Tora) (3rd place: $1,000)
Chris: $10,000 + $4,401 = $14,401 (What is oh the humanity?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jill: $14,400 + $5,601 = $20,001 (What is Oh the humanity) (2-day champion: $51,602)
(Alex: Herbert Morrison was the on-air announcer, announcing the arrival of the Hindenburg in New Jersey.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jill: $17,400, 20 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: $14,000, 19 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Niño: $5,800, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jill: 21/59 = .356
Chris: 20/60 = .333
Niño: 8/58 = .138
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV WORKPLACE SETTINGS $1000: "Lou Grant"
(Chris: [Selecting next clue] What is GOVERNMENT, for $400? I'm sorry. GOVERNMENT, for $600. Wow.)

HAMBURGERS $800: Karl Lagerfeld has designed at Chanel, with its double "C" symbol, & for five decades at this Italian house, using a double "F"

FRIES $400: Who puts a stick in a frankfurter & deep fries it? Back in 1942 it was Neil & Carl Fletcher, who gave state fairs this favorite
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

YOU DO KNOW JACKALOPE $400: House for a queen
(Niño: What is a...)

MAKE IT LOOK GOOD $2000: An impressive facade was the goal of the Old West architecture style called this alliterative type of phony front

BUILDING BIG $400: New York City's Twin Towers were briefly the tallest in the world until this U.S. building surpassed them in 1973

BUILDING BIG $1200: L.A.'s oldest jazz festival is held annually near these 100-foot towers bearing the name of an L.A. area

RUSSIAN LITERATURE $1600: This 1973 work is an account of prisons & labor camps scattered across Russia like islands in a sea
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Johannes Brahms
a late-night talk show
code breaking
Jefferson Davis
David Lean
Gertrude Whitney
the Great Pyramid
to cajole
Raphael
Saudi Arabia
the Ming dynasty
Lara
"Oh, the humanity!"
a newsroom (or newspaper)
Fendi
corn dogs
a palace
a false front
the Sears Tower
the Watts Towers
The Gulag Archipelago
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY DISASTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the radio in 1937 this 3-word exclamation came after “The smoke and the flames now…not quite to the mooring mast”

Jill Regan: 14400+5601=20001 (2x = $51,602)
Chris Whalen: 10000+4401=14401
Niño Yosinao: 5800-4201=1599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Oh, the humanity! (Niño – Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Tora! Tora! Tora)

Daily Doubles
Jill: 4400-3000
Chris: 8000-3000
Chris: 11000-1000

Coryats
Jill: 17400
Chris: 14000
Niño: 5800

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jill: 3200
Chris: 5200
Niño: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the old days there used to be Audio DDs all the time. Now, not so much. And what was played? Something from the 1800s. The players in the 1980s used to bet on the low side fearful of the wide range of things that could be heard while Jill went for 3000. It did not work for her although she had the lead for the FJ! round aided by Chris going 0/2 on her DDs.

The FJ! clue had me spot 1937 and I had "Hinden" on my paper when I heard Alex say "this 3-word exclamation." Oops, my crossout to the correct response was immediate as I was able to join Jill & Chris for knowing what to write.

My precall game was off as I had Boston/molasses, the nuclear disasters here & abroad, and Bhopal/Union Carbide.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Thin category, which is ironic for a fat guy like me.

0/5 in TV Workplace Settings. I knew Flintstones but couldn't dig up the word. No clue on the rest.

Didn't know falafel or Monte Cristo (can't say I've heard of the latter at all, in fact), but I knew empanadas.

NHO "peak" as a synonym for "be at your best", nor before "too soon".

Art for $2000 had a dangling modifier.

NHO "Three sisters".

I got FJ! entirely off "3 word exclamation" before Alex was even close to being done reading the clue.

Lach Trash: Lean
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I thought of the Hindenburg, but couldn't think of the three-word phrase to put down.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm Didn't know falafel or Monte Cristo (can't say I've heard of the latter at all, in fact), but I knew empanadas.
I was hoping to get here first. Here's a link to a lengthy discussion in your thread from a little over 13 months ago, the last time you didn't know Monte Cristo.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2473&p=268494#p268488

A couple of us even recommended trying the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland, the very restaurant mentioned in today's clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought it was "Oh the Huge Manatee", but that's four words. :D
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Made an accurate precall today, not only of the disaster but the phrase. Couldn't believe it when he read the clue!
If you plan to visit the Hindenburg crash site, you'll need permission (and have to be a US citizen) because it's on a military base. However, you can drive past it on CR 547 and see a small blimp marker. The site is not actually in Lakehurst, but in Manchester Township, which completely surrounds Lakehurst. The hangars are visible from miles away because that part of New Jersey is extremely flat.
Hoping for a third lap
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Lach Trash: Jefferson Davis, David Lean, cajole, Ming dynasty, Lara

Instaget FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm Didn't know falafel or Monte Cristo (can't say I've heard of the latter at all, in fact), but I knew empanadas.
I was hoping to get here first. Here's a link to a lengthy discussion in your thread from a little over 13 months ago, the last time you didn't know Monte Cristo.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2473&p=268494#p268488

A couple of us even recommended trying the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland, the very restaurant mentioned in today's clue.
That's one of my bucket list items but you've got to make a reservation plus a one day Disneyland ticket itself is now ~$140. So there's that on TOP of $29 for the sandwich (which is the cheapest lunch entree!) and whatever ever else I care to shove down my gullet...
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining ... nus/lunch/

Not exactly high priority

SO PISSED at myself for missing Basquiat. One of his paintings makes for a plot point in the Luke Cage series and I even made special effort to look it up.

Instafinal...after first writing Hinden of course
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

There is some sort of flaw in today's game and the same awesome player will play again in fifteen minutes tomorrow. Oh the humanity!

I don't like this FJ clue because it is purely a YEKIOYD, and zero TOM to get you there. Give Nino credit for some game guesses. How did he resist putting up WTF, both as a guess and an emotion ;). I think the writers were throwing a bone to the nursing home demographic, who probably haven't got an FJ this year. This phrase is no longer iconic, and belongs with "23 Skidoo Street" and "the cats' pajamas" in the recycle bin. :lol:

Maybe Jill can make another 3 days.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 pm There is some sort of flaw in today's game and the same awesome player will play again in fifteen minutes tomorrow. Oh the humanity!

I don't like this FJ clue because it is purely a YEKIOYD, and zero TOM to get you there. Give Nino credit for some game guesses. How did he resist putting up WTF, both as a guess and an emotion ;). I think the writers were throwing a bone to the nursing home demographic, who probably haven't got an FJ this year. This phrase is no longer iconic, and belongs with "23 Skidoo Street" and "the cats' pajamas" in the recycle bin. :lol:

Maybe Jill can make another 3 days.
Jill is only 31 (not that she could not fool the carnival age guesser going too high) and she got it right. Read through the thread and see who else got it right. It's a variety of age ranges and not just those who like to eat dinner (I'd like to exercise my 5th Amendment privilege) at 5:00.

I thought the clue was the bee's knees.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm going to throw a flag on the clue for "empanada". References seem to agree that the term is derived from the verb "empanar", to (encase in) bread. I had always assumed that that was the etymology, though I had never looked it up. So I thought a clue mentioning rolling/frying had to be referring to something else.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got 2 of the 3 words correct for the final jeopardy clue...went with....oh the horror
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

For some reason I thought the three word phrase was supposed to have the Hindenburg, or the name of whatever tragedy the clue was referring to. So that didn't help me.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Impeachment...topical

As often as *Lawrence of Arabia* comes up, ya gotta know David Lean.

If we don't get to all five clues on Russian Literature I'm going to be rather peeved

Yay for Blazing Saddles

Is there a rule that all responses must be given in English?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coryat: $32,800.

J: 22R7P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Thin Category and Government. 4/5 on Hamburgers. 3/5 on Quotations and TV Settings. 2/5 on Fries (club instead of monte cristo...never heard of that)

DJ: 20R9P. Ugh. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Building and Make It Look Good. 4/4 on Russian Literature. 2/5 on all the rest. Ugh.

FJ: Instaget.

LT: David Lean, Saudi Arabia, Ming Dynasty, Larisa Fyodorovna Antipova
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm That's one of my bucket list items but you've got to make a reservation plus a one day Disneyland ticket itself is now ~$140. So there's that on TOP of $29 for the sandwich (which is the cheapest lunch entree!) and whatever ever else I care to shove down my gullet...
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining ... nus/lunch/

Not exactly high priority
That Monte Cristo (at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland) would be on my bucket list (and perhaps enough to bury me) if I hadn't scored a ways back a ticket to both Disneyland resorts which included lunch at Club 33. Shh.

As you said, that sandwich is no longer a high priority.
OCSam
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This was not my first exposure to the scene, but a little reinforcement never hurts. The first time would have been when I saw that film with George C. Scott back in the 70s, and don't read ahead if your heart is still intact but
Spoiler
that dog didn't actually survive. It was just a fake Hollywood happy ending.
I'm smart and I want respect.
earendel

Post by earendel »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:24 pmI thought it was "Oh the Huge Manatee", but that's four words. :D
And it wasn't "Oh, the five manatees". :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."