Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am The $800 clue made clam as I only knew the 5-letter spelling. Boo to the writers.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure from her response that Joan did what I did: saw "Italian lawn bowling," thought "bocce," then remembered the category.
same for me...what other italian law bowling games are there? only one i knew of, but didn't know there was another spelling
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm I mis-pavloved "scary season" in Disaster Averted for $200 and guessed Halloween. Oops.

Funny how both "llama" and "Lama" were correct responses in the J! round.

Can't say I've heard of a "concierge" before. Clammed on the Italian lawn bowling game because I've only ever seen it spelled "bocce", never "boccie". A quick Google search seems to support my spelling far more highly than theirs.

NHO "merchant copy" either. That seemed very generational. What kind of backward Luddite business is still handing out paper receipts in 2019?!

Got Walk the Line, but not Coal Miner's Daughter. The face and clue were too generic for me to zoom in on Loretta Lynn, though I do know the film enough to pin it to a 1980 release.

All but "go pound sand" in Cliches and screech in owls.

saw that movie at the drive-in with the muppet movie as the double feature

Just like yesterday, today's clue was extremely vague and open-ended. I had nothing except "not Celine Dion". Could've been any of the 847,000 females who were big in the 90s.

saw that movie at the drive-in with the muppet movie as the double feature

i primarily listen to death metal and i got mariah carey...pretty easy imo
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm I

NHO "merchant copy" either. That seemed very generational. What kind of backward Luddite business is still handing out paper receipts in 2019?!
you have never scanned a credit card receipt? it literally says it at the bottom of the receipt...let me know of some places you frequent so i can get a job there and overcharge you, since you apparently don't look at your receipts
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm

All but "go pound sand" in Cliches

was the only one i got correct in that category
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pmJoan got away with it again: the clue was asking for Loretta Lynn, not the name of the film.
"The woman seen here is the subject of this 1980 film about a rise to musical fame." It's asking for the movie.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I had no clue that Mariah Carey is from NY. Couldn't think of anyone.

Oh yeah ... Star Trek???!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I insta got Mariah Carey and pushed skip on my PVR because I didn't want to waste another second thinking about it. If JB had done my recent TD about Kirsten Dunst featuring recording artists from New Jersey, he would have known that Whitney Houston couldn't have been the answer to tonight's clue. And Whitney Houston broke out in the 80s.

Mariah Carey's kind of music isn't exactly my favorite but I bought her first several albums because of her incredible voice on "Vision of Love." My favorite song of hers is "Anytime You Need a Friend." I really like minor keys.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Alicia Keys came to mind but I knew 90s was too early for her.

I didn't even know for sure Mariah was from NY, but I did go with her at the end since I know she was big in the 90s, and didn't think she was around in the 80s (Whitney was).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Had nothing for FJ. Mariah Carey is a blind spot for me in music. Agree about bocce, terrible clue. :roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

My comments have mostly already been made by others, some repeatedly.

Never seen any spelling other than bocce. Would not have buzzed in but might have got the clue as a DD for lack of a better guess.

Chuckled at two different clues looking for (l)lama.

Guessed Mariah Carey, mostly because I remember her film Glitter was set in NYC. (And I only remember that because it was filmed pre-9/11 but came out post. I remember reading about the decision to leave the Twin Towers in the movie and how people cheered when they showed up.) The only other thought I had from that era was Britney but I associated her with Louisiana. Correctly, as it turns out. Born in Mississippi but raised in LA.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm
Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pmJoan got away with it again: the clue was asking for Loretta Lynn, not the name of the film.
"The woman seen here is the subject of this 1980 film about a rise to musical fame." It's asking for the movie.
Additionally, when Alex introduced the category, he said, "You have to identify the movie for a correct response." So even if the clue HAD been worded to request the name of the woman, they really couldn't have negged someone for following those instructions and naming the film.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

If I had the sophistication of an Idahoan, I might have gone for Whitney Houston also. I just WAGed Madonna for possible New York-ness but I might as well have said Patsy Cline or Dinah Shore. I don't see any reason to get butt hurt about the Idaho comment - most us flyover people don't give a crap about who is native to New York. And we don't give a crap about who does give a crap.

I wasn't aware of the number of exceptions to the c-e-i permutation. Of course I know the standby joke of Einstein getting the rule wrong twice. They shouldn't have played the bocce card with the Trumpish spelling.

Meghan won the game outright, but JB damn near pulled an upset. His guesses were ill advised, but it seemed apparent that they were buzzing first and thinking second.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm douche
Is that an expert opinion?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Forgot to mention, I said "California seagull" when they were looking for "California gull". I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear on that one.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I can't believe I precalled a -category-. After "Super Bowl" was used in J, knowing the writers sometimes like to call back to the previous category in DJ, I thought, "Superb Owl" would be hilariously awesome... AND THEY DID IT!! Those magnificent bastards.

And then I go and say Jenny from the Block for FJ. Whatever. They used the SUPERB OWL!!
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/qs3r6w/th ... super-bowl
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got "boccie" because I play Puzzly Words on Facebook and I've seen people spell it that way and get credit. It annoyed me that Joan didn't do the "ring in, realize response is wrong, throw up hands and say it anyway" thing on it, because it would have been fun to see her surprised with credit for her response. Of course, she did it in the DJ round when it couldn't help, when she realized she was looking at a picture of Beethoven and not Mozart.

I probably would have gotten Mariah Carey if the clue hadn't said "New York native." The chart performance fact would have led me straight to her, but I didn't have any geographical association attached to her, so those words steered me far afield, and the only New Yorker pop singer who started in the '90s I could name was Jennifer Lopez.

[edit: one apostrophe too few]
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 pm I probably would have gotten Mariah Carey if the clue hadn't said "New York native." The chart performance fact would have led me straight to her, but I didn't have any geographical association attached to her, so those words steered me far afield, and the only New Yorker pop singer who started in the '90s I could name was Jennifer Lopez.
^
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm douche
Is that an expert opinion?
wow..such the comedienne
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 pm If I had the sophistication of an Idahoan, I might have gone for Whitney Houston also. I just WAGed Madonna for possible New York-ness but I might as well have said Patsy Cline or Dinah Shore. I don't see any reason to get butt hurt about the Idaho comment - most us flyover people don't give a crap about who is native to New York. And we don't give a crap about who does give a crap.

I wasn't aware of the number of exceptions to the c-e-i permutation. Of course I know the standby joke of Einstein getting the rule wrong twice. They shouldn't have played the bocce card with the Trumpish spelling.

Meghan won the game outright, but JB damn near pulled an upset. His guesses were ill advised, but it seemed apparent that they were buzzing first and thinking second.
haven't thought about dinah shore in eons and she comes up 2 times in day...your mentioning of her and i watched the episode of "alice" on which she appeared
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm I had no clue that Mariah Carey is from NY. Couldn't think of anyone.

Oh yeah ... Star Trek???!
I wonder if they were flashing to another Twilight Zone episode, also involving an aircraft, with William Shatner: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".
It wasn't what the question asked for, but I recognized the connection.

bob