Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Friday, February 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

For what it's worth, Meghan tweeted out some thoughts last night and she made no mention of a "lifting off the throttle" strategy; if that strategy was her intention, I feel as though she would have mentioned that.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:16 am
Elton John is the man whose record Billy Joel broke for most lifetime concert appearances at Madison Square Garden. Before that, it was the Grateful Dead.
And it still blows my mind that he has sold out those MSG shows every single month for the past five years! When was his last original album release? 1993 :shock:

(not counting a classical record in 2001)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Yeah, I heard something like "Isabella La Yende." But there are some Spanish-affiliated languages (if not Spanish dialects) where the double L is more like the "lli" in "William" than a straight Y sound. For example, there was a teacher named Estrella from the Philippines in my elementary school, and to hear her name pronounced you might think it was closer to "Australia" than to the Spanish word for "star." So I think Will was saying something like "Alyende," but turning the awkward consonant cluster of "ly" into a syllable (like some do with "triathlon," for example).
I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.
Yes, I said he made a syllable out of it. They don't neg people for "tri-ath-a-lon" (and have even accepted that spelling minus dashes in FJ).
It’s more than adding a syllable. It’s adding letters; there’s no “la” in Allende. If they ding a 10 year old for it, they should be consistent.

Let’s be real; the judging has been incredibly questionable of late. Maybe someone is out sick or retired but many people have commented in the past week or two.
I don't think you're reading my posts. There's no "tha" in "triathlon" either, but they accept it pronounced that way, with the extra syllable, because "thl" is a weird consonant cluster for some people's mouths. I'm saying "Alyende" would be acceptable, and therefore "Alayende" would, by virtue of "ly" being a difficult consonant cluster for some to say.
Don’t get your back up; I’m reading your posts but your example isn’t a good one. Yes, tri-ath-alon and ath-a-lete are common mispronunciations. (I had an aunt that said pacific for specific). But this would be more like saying George LaLopez or Frederic Cho-chopin. It’s mangling a proper name and at best, they should have had him repeat it. They’ve been very sloppy of late so it got a pass. It could have been outcome determinative here, however.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm
Spoiler
Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm

I definitely heard A-la-yende so he added another syllable. They should have at least had him repeat it.
Yes, I said he made a syllable out of it. They don't neg people for "tri-ath-a-lon" (and have even accepted that spelling minus dashes in FJ).
It’s more than adding a syllable. It’s adding letters; there’s no “la” in Allende. If they ding a 10 year old for it, they should be consistent.

Let’s be real; the judging has been incredibly questionable of late. Maybe someone is out sick or retired but many people have commented in the past week or two.
I don't think you're reading my posts. There's no "tha" in "triathlon" either, but they accept it pronounced that way, with the extra syllable, because "thl" is a weird consonant cluster for some people's mouths. I'm saying "Alyende" would be acceptable, and therefore "Alayende" would, by virtue of "ly" being a difficult consonant cluster for some to say.
Don’t get your back up; I’m reading your posts but your example isn’t a good one. Yes, tri-ath-alon and ath-a-lete are common mispronunciations. (I had an aunt that said pacific for specific). But this would be more like saying George LaLopez or Frederic Cho-chopin. It’s mangling a proper name and at best, they should have had him repeat it. They’ve been very sloppy of late so it got a pass. It could have been outcome determinative here, however.
One issue with your examples is the names don't flow in the middle like Isabel Allende. Not wanting to dig it up, there may have just been a stutter in the middle and the names got blurred together. Say it quickly enough, and "Isabella Ende" counts just as well.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:12 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm
Spoiler

One issue with your examples is the names don't flow in the middle like Isabel Allende. Not wanting to dig it up, there may have just been a stutter in the middle and the names got blurred together. Say it quickly enough, and "Isabella Ende" counts just as well.
According to this page-
https://www.bookbrowse.com/authors/auth ... el-allende

the l sound is not pronounced at all. Sean voiced the l and then added the accurate vowel sound. Seems forgivable to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm But this would be more like saying George LaLopez or Frederic Cho-chopin.
Well, if you want to (mis)characterize his pronunciation that way: stutters don't make a response incorrect.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm But this would be more like saying George LaLopez or Frederic Cho-chopin.
Well, if you want to (mis)characterize his pronunciation that way: stutters don't make a response incorrect.
No need to lie as I didn’t mischaracterise anything (this is all supposed to be in fun, right?) - but this caba-ba-llo has certainly been beaten enough.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm
No need to lie as I didn’t mischaracterise anything (this is all supposed to be in fun, right?) - but this caba-ba-llo has certainly been beaten enough.
You mischaracterized it as a simple syllable repetition (vowel alteration in your Lopez example notwithstanding) (and continue to). I think he was trying to pronounce the digraph ll as (in IPA) [lj], which is how it's pronounced in some languages, and broke up the consonants with another vowel sound, which some English speakers do with consonant clusters.

How I (and, I think, most of us) say it: [aˈjende]
How I think he intended it: [al'jende]
How it came out: [aləˈjende]
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

davey wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 pm
According to this page-
https://www.bookbrowse.com/authors/auth ... el-allende

the l sound is not pronounced at all. Sean voiced the l and then added the accurate vowel sound. Seems forgivable to me.
Ahhh, I hadn't thought of it quite like that - thank you!

I think this makes for an excellent cogent justification for why there was no correction.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sorry to bump an old thread but with the discussion on the reversal I wanted to add one thing.(Trying to catch up on viewings).

In the $800 clue in Cities Through Time, Will said Expos, but the clue was answering for the word that preceded '67, not the name of the team. That shouldn't have been accepted.