Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

And here I thought this was an instaget. Not that I knew knew it, but to me these were pretty obviously cat names, and it was a short hop from cats to Eliot.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm WTF with a category about a Broadway play entitled "Poets". Why didn't they call it "Playwrights"? Since when do poets write screenplays? No actual complaint here, I don't get the solve if you name the play.
T. S. Eliot did write several plays, most notably Murder in the Cathedral, but he is known more as a poet than as a playwright. Some of his poems, mostly from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, were turned into a West End (London's version of Broadway) musical by Andrew Lloyd-Webber. The musical later opened on Broadway. T. S. Eliot had no hand in turning those poems into a play or musical.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm What was the TOM for Jackie Robinson on Sports for $200? I didn't know he did anything else besides baseball.

Can't say I've heard of the Preakness or anything else in that category.

Also recognized nothing except GDP in that Economics category.

Not even "shut your gob" got me to "goblet" in time.

I've heard of Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath, but never managed to pair them mentally.

Ran the Two Meanings category, got all but Rosemary's Baby in Horror.

Seven Veils was my only miss in Seven, and Point Udall my only miss in Point.

I couldn't make the shift to "salamander" in time since I had "amphibian" lodge into my head, and couldn't dislodge it in time. Didn't help since I thought axolotls were completely different animals. Even worse, my only miss in that category.

Daredevil was my only miss in the Eisner category.

No guess on FJ! I didn't see a TOM anywhere in sight.
you didn't know that, but are versed in musical acts that 99.9999 percent of the world have never heard of before?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 pm
you didn't know that, but are versed in musical acts that 99.9999 percent of the world have never heard of before?
Yes, absolutely nobody has heard of Garth Brooks.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm What was the TOM for Jackie Robinson on Sports for $200? I didn't know he did anything else besides baseball.

Can't say I've heard of the Preakness or anything else in that category.

Also recognized nothing except GDP in that Economics category.

Not even "shut your gob" got me to "goblet" in time.

I've heard of Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath, but never managed to pair them mentally.

Ran the Two Meanings category, got all but Rosemary's Baby in Horror.

Seven Veils was my only miss in Seven, and Point Udall my only miss in Point.

I couldn't make the shift to "salamander" in time since I had "amphibian" lodge into my head, and couldn't dislodge it in time. Didn't help since I thought axolotls were completely different animals. Even worse, my only miss in that category.

Daredevil was my only miss in the Eisner category.

No guess on FJ! I didn't see a TOM anywhere in sight.
there was a glitch with the audio for that clue when i played it back...all i needed was the statue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm
not talking about him...talking about the majority of the people you tweet about on your twitter page
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm
luke combs, thomas rhett, kane brown, craig morgan, carolina rain...and the list goes on
davey

Post by davey »

Yes, this was more of a theater clue than a poetry clue - when I think T.S.Eliot, poet, the last thing I think about is Cats. I veered from Carroll, to Nash, to Edward Lear (I though Seuss was a great guess, except they'd never call him a poet!), but the Old Possum never entered my mind...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

at least i am not the only one here that went with the jabberwocky dude...those names seemed like gibberish that could be found within jabberwocky
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm How do you ask for a 10-letter word and then allow an 11-letter word? Weak.
I was ok with that. It did look like there was an edit, so I'm guessing they paused the game to make a ruling. Maybe Eric rememberes?
What clue was this? I'm blanking...
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

The instaget of instagets for me - TS Eliot in under two seconds from the clue reveal.

On the other extreme, I would like to Have Words about the wording of the clue for goblet. If it had referenced an Irish slang term, that would have been simple. But "Irish word for" led me to béal, which is the Irish word for mouth, and left me stumbling in the dark :? Clue writers, remember that Irish is a language as well as a nationality/culture!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 pm The instaget of instagets for me - TS Eliot in under two seconds from the clue reveal.
!
pretty hardcore...i have never heard of that dude before
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm How do you ask for a 10-letter word and then allow an 11-letter word? Weak.
I was ok with that. It did look like there was an edit, so I'm guessing they paused the game to make a ruling. Maybe Eric rememberes?
What clue was this? I'm blanking...
Paraphrasing, it was: (Some name I don't remember) and mud-puppies are types of this 10-letter amphibian. Eric responded with "What are salamanders?"
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 pm The instaget of instagets for me - TS Eliot in under two seconds from the clue reveal.
!
I would never have thought of Eliot as obscure. Was formally introduced to him in secondary (high) school in Ireland - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. Have seen Cats in the West End, but I vaguely remember Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats from primary school, even if I didn't at the time know the author's name. Have been aware, through popular culture, of some of his other works for decades, such as The Waste Land and The Hollow Men:

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

And by the way, Eliot was American, though he moved to Britain in his 20s and later renounced US citizenship in favour of British.

/tldr - not obscure!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 pm
!
I would never have thought of Eliot as obscure. Was formally introduced to him in secondary (high) school in Ireland - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. Have seen Cats in the West End, but I vaguely remember Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats from primary school, even if I didn't at the time know the author's name. Have been aware, through popular culture, of some of his other works for decades, such as The Waste Land and The Hollow Men:

Not with a bang but a whimper.

And by the way, Eliot was American, though he moved to Britain in his 20s and later renounced US citizenship in favour of British.

/tldr - not obscure!
probably not obscure...i just know nothing about literature

wish it were that easy these days...would love a british passport over a usa passport so i could travel and play online poker
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm No clue on FJ. Guessed Lewis Carroll, thinking maybe he threw that word into Jabberwocky.
Same reasoning for me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Nearly instant final for me, made more hilarious by a theatre advert I received three hours before J! alerting me to the upcoming run of Cats in April (which I already have tickets for...)

Though it came down to a combination of "whiskers" and "paws" making me think cats and then realized all the names felt particular, peculiar, dignified, which made me think Cats rather than actually knowing it out right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 pm Since I'm hearing lots of misses, I will add to the straw poll and say it was an instaget for me. Saw Cats a long, long time ago, and those names sounded just like Eliot.
Instaget for me and I was very surprised it was a triple stumper. I don't like poetry or musicals. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

!
Don't make us start an official CasketRomance education thread!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 am

Instaget for me and I was very surprised it was a triple stumper. I don't like poetry or musicals. :D
That's why it's good when they come together. Lets you kill two birds with one stone.
I'm smart and I want respect.