Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

Post by morbeedo »

Have they passed over NYC in other years? Hopefully that means they'll keep my application on file a few more months, until my 12-month game show appearance exclusion window expires (9 months to go!)

I don't understand all the wingeing about the photo requirement. You can use one of my photos if you want:
Spoiler
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

I can't think of any good reason why they would want a photo when you register unless they intend on using it during the selection process. This seems wrong. Okay, it's a TV show and I understand they would like telegenic contestants but it is so very contrary to the J! ethos.

On the bright side, I think a side effect it that it will reduce the number of people taking the test.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am I can't think of any good reason why they would want a photo when you register unless they intend on using it during the selection process. This seems wrong. Okay, it's a TV show and I understand they would like telegenic contestants but it is so very contrary to the J! ethos.

On the bright side, I think a side effect it that it will reduce the number of people taking the test.
https://www.jeopardy.com/contact
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

This is odd. I registered for the test, but when I got the confirmation email it said
Thanks for registering for the Jeopardy! Online Test! We don't have a date for the next test yet, but we will keep you informed via email as soon as it is announced.
Yet the website clearly says that the next test will be on April 9th, 10th, and 11th.

I wasn't thrilled about uploading a photo. I considered uploading a "joke" photo, but I don't want to spoil my chances in the event that they *are* paying attention to pictures. (I rather doubt they are.) In the end I uploaded my head shot, which is the only decent picture of me ever taken. The bad news is that it was taken about 24 years ago.

I suspect that the picture requirement is mostly a ploy to get people to beef up their profiles. I suppose it may also be used to check that the individual who shows up to an in-person interview matches the face that was uploaded. I don't really see how that benefits the selection process, though. Maybe they want to stop the practice of taking pictures during the in-person interviews?
Teems with quiet fun.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am I suspect that the picture requirement is mostly a ploy to get people to beef up their profiles. I suppose it may also be used to check that the individual who shows up to an in-person interview matches the face that was uploaded.
I suppose it could be an attempt to keep people from having someone else take the test for them. But if you can't get your proxy test-taker to upload YOUR photo instead of their own, maybe this scam is too complicated for you anyway.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 am
immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am I suspect that the picture requirement is mostly a ploy to get people to beef up their profiles. I suppose it may also be used to check that the individual who shows up to an in-person interview matches the face that was uploaded.
I suppose it could be an attempt to keep people from having someone else take the test for them. But if you can't get your proxy test-taker to upload YOUR photo instead of their own, maybe this scam is too complicated for you anyway.
Plus, the person who shows up to an in-person interview has to take another 50-question test anyway, so what's the point?

Most likely, TPTB don't realize how paranoid some of us are.
Teems with quiet fun.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 pm Most likely, TPTB don't realize how paranoid some of us are.
Right, it's not like Sony has even been hacked before...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 pm
immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 pm Most likely, TPTB don't realize how paranoid some of us are.
Right, it's not like Sony has even been hacked before...
Except now we're friends with the North Koreans and we have nothing to fear from them. Kim Jong Eun is a good friend of our president.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm Lots of good Midwest options: Milwaukee/Chicago/Nashville/Columbus, generally we've been lucky to get more than one of those for most recent tests.
I've given up trying to figure out if any one location would be more advantageous. Now I just choose whatever place is easiest to get to.10 years and counting without an audition...
#ThisIsYourTime

I'm at a loss on how to pick my audition city
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm Lots of good Midwest options: Milwaukee/Chicago/Nashville/Columbus, generally we've been lucky to get more than one of those for most recent tests.
I've given up trying to figure out if any one location would be more advantageous. Now I just choose whatever place is easiest to get to.10 years and counting without an audition...
#ThisIsYourTime

I'm at a loss on how to pick my audition city
simple, choose one from the list... :P
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Just curious regarding those who do not want to post a picture:

1. Is your picture anywhere else on the internet?

If no...interesting, but you have your reasons.

If yes, then I just want to ask why not when applying for Jeopardy?

I understand if all you want to do is take the test and have no desire to be on the show, but if you want to be on, then why not? I've gone to many auditions, have been on two shows, and every time, they take/want your picture to go with the application. Saying no to putting up a picture is a sure way to ruin your chances of getting on the show.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 am Have they passed over NYC in other years? Hopefully that means they'll keep my application on file a few more months, until my 12-month game show appearance window expires (9 months to go!)

I don't understand all the wingeing about the photo requirement. You can use one of my photos if you want:
Spoiler
Or the marathon-running clown.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm I understand if all you want to do is take the test and have no desire to be on the show, but if you want to be on, then why not? I've gone to many auditions, have been on two shows, and every time, they take/want your picture to go with the application. Saying no to putting up a picture is a sure way to ruin your chances of getting on the show.
If they actually invite me to an audition then sure, they can have one. If not, then they don't need one.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm I understand if all you want to do is take the test and have no desire to be on the show, but if you want to be on, then why not? I've gone to many auditions, have been on two shows, and every time, they take/want your picture to go with the application. Saying no to putting up a picture is a sure way to ruin your chances of getting on the show.
If they actually invite me to an audition then sure, they can have one. If not, then they don't need one.
And there are going to be tens of thousands of applicants who will follow the show's directions without question. And, considering, "being able to follow instructions" is important for them...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Magna wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 amI don't understand all the wingeing about the photo requirement. You can use one of my photos if you want:
Or the marathon-running clown.
Did you ever get your photo in the mail? You didn’t give me your last name, understandable given my criminal record
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Care to answer the “why” part?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm
Care to answer the “why” part?
Because I don't want to. Nothing more than that.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Guys leave econgator alone, if he doesn't want to be on, more room for the rest of us. Certainly his right.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm
And there are going to be tens of thousands of applicants who will follow the show's directions without question. And, considering, "being able to follow instructions" is important for them...

I ddin't see anywhere where he implied he was trying to get around their requirements or not follow the rules. The site literally won't allow you to register for the test without a picture, so he's simply opting out. Fair enough.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

If I can actually get an in-person audition this time around, I very well may be able to walk/run to my audition.