FJs for the 2/11/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/11/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 pm

"Complications" was a suggested title for this ABC drama that was renewed for a 15th season in 2018
82%
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired "The Tempest"
72%
He gave his pets names like Wiscus, Pettipaws, George Pushdragon & Jellylorum, the last of which he used in a poem
53%
Named for a soldier killed in 1846 at the start of a war, it was in the news again as a port of entry to the U.S. in 2018
35%
He spent his life improving a plant-based substance he described as a “vegetable leather” or “elastic metal”
53%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
EMERALDS $1000: Emerald Downs is a lovely one of these in Auburn, Washington
75%
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD $1000: In 2018 this southern African "land" changed its name to Eswatini
81%
WHAT'S THE POINT? $1200: Steel Vengeance is a roller coaster opened in 2018 at this amusement park on Lake Erie
59%
I have never seen a complete episode of Grey's Anatomy.
66%
Bahamas was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
Lewis Carroll was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
22%
Nash, Lear or Dr. Seuss was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
George Washington Carver was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
23%
Firestone or Goodrich was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
3%

Total votes: 101

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/11/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRIMETIME TV

2/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Complications" was a suggested title for this ABC drama that was renewed for a 15th season in 2018

2/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

2/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired "The Tempest"

2/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

2/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He gave his pets names like Wiscus, Pettipaws, George Pushdragon & Jellylorum, the last of which he used in a poem

2/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLORFUL GEOGRAPHY

2/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named for a soldier killed in 1846 at the start of a war, it was in the news again as a port of entry to the U.S. in 2018

2/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY INVENTORS

2/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He spent his life improving a plant-based substance he described as a “vegetable leather” or “elastic metal”

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Grey's Anatomy
Bermuda
T.S. Eliot
Brownsville
Charles Goodyear
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 3-3-0-1-0 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

EMERALDS $1000: Emerald Downs is a lovely one of these in Auburn, Washington

COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD $1000: In 2018 this southern African "land" changed its name to Eswatini

WHAT'S THE POINT? $1200: Steel Vengeance is a roller coaster opened in 2018 at this amusement park on Lake Erie

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
racetrack
Swaziland
Cedar Point
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/11/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Bahamas
Amarillo
Bessemer
stumped on both the racetrack and the amusement park
Never seen a complete episode of Grey's Anatomy although I've seen parts of many of them either by my TV still being on ABC after Wheel or before Scandal came on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No guesses Tuesday or Thursday. Thursday, I think if I'd tried to come up with colors rather than people who died in the Mexican-American War, I might have connected brown and Brownsville and taken the shot.
Carver Friday

I watched the first few episodes of Grey's Anatomy. I don't remember why.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Never seen a complete episode of Grey’s Anatomy.

Friday, got to rubber immediately, but spent the rest of the time debating between Goodyear, Goodrich and Firestone before settling on the right answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - (gibberish)
Thu - (same)

Haven't even seen part of a Gray's Anatomy episode...maybe a commercial for it at best.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I think I hesitated on the Downs clue, though WECIB?
I came across the Botswanaland-Eswatini fact in a magazine article the very next day... :roll:
Yeah, I sometimes see a bit of Grey's cause my TV is on ABC after J! ER and Chicago Hope gave me enough of medical shows in the 90s...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Absolutely no guesses all around.

I've actually been to Cedar Point twice. The first time, when I was about 7, I was too short to ride almost anything. The second was a senior year trip.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I had no idea Grey's Anatomy was still on the air; Scrubs was the only recentish medical show that occurred to me. Have never caught any of either.

I remembered that there is a reference to "the Bermoothes" in the Tempest.

The most promising material I considered Friday was cellophane, but I had no name* to go with it so I probably would have written something like "Hi, Mom".

My only idea for the amusement park was Steven's Point, though I was pretty sure it was in Wisconsin and probably isn't even an amusement park but I sensed that it is still visited for some reason by people who don't live there.

* Jacques Edwin Brandenberger, I now know. From Switzerland, just like the Velcro guy. Him you'll have to look up for yourselves. What am I, your personal Wikipedia?
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:36 pm My only idea for the amusement park was Steven's Point, though I was pretty sure it was in Wisconsin and probably isn't even an amusement park but I sensed that it is still visited for some reason by people who don't live there.
It's home to the world's largest trivia contest.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

My streak ends at 20. Before Thursday's miss, I hadn't missed one since January 16. No chance on Brownsville and very little on Goodyear.

[x] I didn't realize Grey's Anatomy was still on the air, but I didn't have a better guess so that's what I went with.
[x] Started with Bahamas on Tuesday, moved to Barbados, ended up with Bermuda.
[x] I have seen a production of Cats.

What else would Emerald Downs be? It's a total racetrack name. I doubt I would've rung in, but I sure called it from the couch.

Learned about Swaziland's name change from Sporcle. Good thing they got in this FJ when they had the chance.

I lived in North Olmsted, a suburb of Cleveland, for a year when I was 9. Yet somehow Cedar Point only rings a faint bell while I clearly remember TV ads for Kings Island, way down at the bottom of the state near Cincinnati.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 pm Learned about Swaziland's name change from Sporcle.
Poor teapot... ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4492&p=279156#p279156 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:) :( :(

Wagged Grey's Anatomy as the only drama I can think of that wasn't CSi-ish or Housewives-ish

Picked Bahamas with support of miscalculation of our sailing time and cruise ship speed estimates.

Picked Robert Burns as the Pavlov for British poet from the cat's names.

The "news again" reference is to blame for my failure to just run the border towns instead of trying to back into it from a color/surname short list of red, blue, orange, yellow white?, black? , I would never have gotten to Brown, Silver, Gray, Green... there are many of these... For the boardies unfamiliar with it, Brownsville is better known to a lot of us as the doorstep to Padre Island, a Spring Break mecca.

Instaget Goodyear, no distraction with the Peanut guy.

Never seen Grey's Anatomy. Maybe saw one episode of Marcus Welby in my life, otherwise no hospital operas for me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
Never seen Grey's Anatomy, guessed Ogden Nash & G.W. Carver.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:49 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:36 pm My only idea for the amusement park was Steven's Point, though I was pretty sure it was in Wisconsin and probably isn't even an amusement park but I sensed that it is still visited for some reason by people who don't live there.
It's home to the world's largest trivia contest.
and also the setting for the disney show "liv and maddie"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Eliot was instant based on the family affection for "Cats" -- the soundtrack usually covers about about 100 miles of interstate highway singalong on road trips (favorites are "Macavity," "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer," and "Skimbleshanks." Found enough breadcrumb trail from "plant leather and flexible" to "rubber" to "Goodrich" to make it fairly straightforward. It wasn't an "I know this," but it was a pretty high-confidence, no-hesitation guess.

Couldn't get to either "Brown" or Swaziland in 30 seconds. Might have been able to in 90 seconds. Might not have.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Brownsville was not coming Thursday. Amarillo = yellow was a big distraction for me, but the city is too far from the border to make sense.

Have never seen a complete episode of Grey's.
I would prefer not to.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

[x] I have music directed a high school production of Cats
[x] I have a season pass to Cedar Point
[x] I've never heard anyone describe a racetrack as "lovely" (lovERly maybe, if it's the one in My Fair Lady)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, since people are bumping the threads of the reruns, I figured I might as well bump the FJ thread, since I discovered I never posted in it, and I like to keep a public record of my FJ performance (which doesn't happen now that poll participants aren't public).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Oddly, I was thoroughly stumped this time around on Tuesday's FJ. On the plus side, when I found this thread today, I got Wednesday's right (without remembering missing it before). (I voted on the Nash/Lear/Seuss option, so I assume I said Lear.)