Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

I didn't like how Alex was talking about the All-Star games as something never done before in J's 35 year history, as though the Art Fleming era never happened.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

They frequently like to ignore the Fleming era.

As far as I know, Fleming didn't have any team play, either, though they did do weird things with tournament formats.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:05 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am The game should come with a warning for the board member who does not like things such as ad libs and a movie character impression. Others will find it refreshing that the players are relaxed enough to have fun even in an event with big stakes in play.
There's only one?
Like!

It seemed to me Colby elided the phrasing on one response similar to the Labour-Tory-same old story of yesterday's program.
That poor horse...

I had a devil of a time keeping up on scoring...even when they didn't bounce they'd still have the next clue going while I'm trying to click in my result for the previous. Also burned two wrong early on as I wasn't expecting that speed. (Bosnia and Herzegovina!... :roll: no, that doesn't border Romania...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

So does the "two-day affair" for each match mean one game split into two days? I thought it was going to be two full games like Tournament finals.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm So does the "two-day affair" for each match mean one game split into two days? I thought it was going to be two full games like Tournament finals.
Thursday with DJ! and FJ! will complete one game. Friday will be a full game of J!, DJ! and FJ! to make it a second game. At that point the total from game 1 will be combined with the total from game 2 to have a winner of the 2-game match. That 2-game match will have needed 3 days worth of airing to complete.

The pattern will repeat on Monday - Wednesday.

At that point the winner of Match 1 & Match 2 will be waiting to see the third team in the finals. Of the four teams that do not win the 2-game match the three high-scoring teams will be be in a 2-day (and 2-game) wildcard match to determine the third finalist. The low-scoring of the four non-winning teams are out and done after their only match.

Clear as mud?
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

hey there MB -

Thanks for your effort - but yeah, the rules are real clear...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm what a waste of en episode...too much jibber jabbering...did they really need to go to a break, come back and interview and then go to another break? about as bad as an american football game...pure dull crap without much action
[sarcasm] Look at the bright side: they got all 30 clues in. [/sarcasm]
OCSam
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm what a waste of en episode...too much jibber jabbering...did they really need to go to a break, come back and interview and then go to another break? about as bad as an american football game...pure dull crap without much action
Although I wouldn't use quite the phrasing above, I did find the format slow and frustrating . One big reason I watch Jeopardy is to ATTEMPT to keep my brain a bit active, so I really love to "follow the clues." Still, it was nice to hear Colby speak of his Mom and Alex about how much he loves the game.

I don't really have another format I'd suggest right now; one thing I was curious about was how a team format might work. I would definitely advocate though, if they were to do another tournament involving teams in the future, that they revise the format. I myself would like something a bit snappier. Anyone have any "creative ideas" about this?
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

jwatcher16 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:05 am
Although I wouldn't use quite the phrasing above, I did find the format slow and frustrating . One big reason I watch Jeopardy is to ATTEMPT to keep my brain a bit active, so I really love to "follow the clues." Still, it was nice to hear Colby speak of his Mom and Alex about how much he loves the game.

I don't really have another format I'd suggest right now; one thing I was curious about was how a team format might work. I would definitely advocate though, if they were to do another tournament involving teams in the future, that they revise the format. I myself would like something a bit snappier. Anyone have any "creative ideas" about this?
P. S. to CR - Oh, I just saw your reply about youtube in another thread (was in my notifications) - thanks, I will remember that :-)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This tournament is going to be a lot of fun.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:12 am This tournament is going to be a lot of fun.
I've been kind of "meh" about the whole thing, mainly because I can't see the general audience even noticing the format change or remembering the contestants well. My intuition is always wrong, so it's probably a raging ratings success. Some viewers may lose interest due to the elevated clue difficulty, but hopefully they will just be impressed. They buzz sawed up the geography category and I probably would have missed all but Belgium in FJ time. Well, buzz sat and watched AJ do the lifting anyway.

It's quite watchable, and I don't miss 30 clues that much. It beats the handful you get on every other quiz show. I don't think I'll get invested with rooting interests. Maybe I'll be surprised. What, one miss and one TS? This ain't bean bag.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I got 27 right missing Nurse, Dannemora, and Armstrong.
DD: 1/1
LT: Greek Peak Week, Gibraltar Altar Vaulter
Douglas Squasoni
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Elevated clue difficulty? Outside of that Triple Rhyme Time category I thought it was a mundane game. I’m rooting for Brad & Larissa the most. I just wish they had some other people from the past up there instead of some of the folks up there.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:12 am I just wish they had some other people from the past up there instead of some of the folks up there.
So do I. ;)

If it's a success, they can always do another All-Stars Tournament with people from the first 17 years of J!. Then pit the winners of each Tournament against each other in a final showdown.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:01 pm DJ in this game is Buzzy vs Larissa vs Alan... My suspicion is Larissa has the deepest knowledge of just about anyone in this tourney, and we'll see if she is fast enough to show it.
I know Team Buzzy prepared a ton, but Larissa is blazing fast on the buzzer too, or at least, she was in her original run. I imagine her knowledge will give her an edge. Although I wouldn't be surprised if both teams prepared buzzer skills more than anything else.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Ok. For some reason I thought each of the first round matches was only going to last two days, which is why I was confused. About the first round only. The rest I get.

ETA: While I can appreciate Mark clearing up something for me that I may have somehow missed, this post:
jwatcher16 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:48 pm hey there MB -

Thanks for your effort - but yeah, the rules are real clear...
I find a bit unnecessary.
Last edited by JayK33 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I had forgotten about the draft order. I guess in this field, it doesn’t matter too much - but Brad getting the last pick in the first round being able to secure Larissa? Yikes.

It was enjoyable to me. I liked the banter between the team captains. I also like how they all went after Ken as the “old man” among the captains when he is a whole three years older than Brad.

Brad is so good and he always seems to catch the big break - in this case, the fact that they hid the DD in the $400 space where he was able to overtake Alex...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I don't have any complaints about the format nor the extended chat time with the contestants but boy, that episode really ended with a whimper. There was absolutely no sense of buildup or crescendo for the next day's game. I would have liked to have seen a brief wrap-up commentary or snippets from the next contestants about how they feel about the scores coming into their turn. Anything to provide a sense of continuity and suspense.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Pretty much my impression as well. One third of an episode playing J! One third of an episode explaining how the rules will be different. One third of an episode listening to players talk about how great it is to be playing the game again and how much they respect all the other great players around them.

Kind of like going to a movie theater, and expecting to see a movie, and instead listening to a whole bunch of Oscar acceptance speeches.

Bleeeaaahhhhhh!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Actual game didn't start until 13 minutes into the episode. Thank you DVR fast forward.