Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7933, 2019-02-20

2019 All-Star Games match 1, game 1, Jeopardy! Round only.

CONTESTANTS
Brad Rutter, an actor and producer from Los Angeles, California
Colby Burnett, a college counselor from Chicago, Illinois
Alex Jacob, a freelance trivia writer from Greensboro, North Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone, to a unique event in the 35-year history of Jeopardy! programming. For the next two weeks, you folks are going to enjoy watching some of our most celebrated champions as well as some of our most popular champion competing in a format that we have never, ever before attempted: a team competition. The Jeopardy! All-Star Games will feature 3 plays on each team. Now, the overall tournament format is fairly straightforward. There will be four matches, each match a 2-game, total-point affair. Now, the winners of the first two matches automatically go on to the finals. Of the remaining four teams, only the three highest-scoring teams get to face off in match #3, and the winner of that match joins the other two in the finals and plays for the grand prize--and our thanks to Consumer Cellular for assisting us with the financing--the grand prize of $1 million.

[Applause]

Alex: Yeah. You can applaud that. So there's gonna be a lot of pressure on the captains. We think they're up to the task. And we'd like to introduce them to you right now.

[Johnny Gilbert introduces the captains.]

Alex: Captains, friends--welcome back to Jeopardy!. Now, Ken, you have served the longest as a contestant on Jeopardy!, and you are the senior member in this group of captains.

Austin: Emphasis on "senior".

Alex: Emphasis on "senior". Thank you for that, Austin.

Ken: Extremely old.

Alex: So tell me about some of the challenges you faced in preparing for this tournament.

Ken: We're all guinea pigs, you know. We're trying a new game for the first time. How do you play Jeopardy! as a team? How do you draft players? How do you practice together? My team was spread out all over the country. It's tricky. We're learning a whole new game.

Alex: What's it going to mean to each one of you to win this particular tournament? Colby.

Colby: It's the feeling that you've outshone the best of the best. So there are no easy games. There are no--there's no rest for the weary.

Alex: Buzzy? How about you?

Buzzy: I'm happy to be here playing the game that I love. My team has worked real hard, and we're gonna win this. And I'm excited to finally put old Ken and Brad out to pasture.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh! Julia?

Julia: Well, it's such a thrill to win even one game in a regular game play.

Alex: And you won 20 of them.

Julia: And I won 20. And every time it was so exciting. But to win with my teammates, who worked so hard and have become such close friends will be extra-special. And just to secure your place in that Jeopardy! legacy. And, you know, dethrone Brad. That's the main thing.

Alex: Ken, are you ready to be put out to pasture?

Ken: I am not, and I don't think Brad is either. It's been one of the great pleasures of my life to be associated with Jeopardy!, which was always my favorite show, even as a kid. But it would be special to win as a team, to feel like I helped these younger players get to the top of the mountain, that'd be great.

Austin: I'm happy that--I look at who's up here, and I look at who's out there, and I literally, except for Buzzy, feel like the weakest person in this whole thing.

[Laughter]

Austin: So I'm just happy to be in this group of--this upper echelon of Jeopardy! players, and, um, hopefully I won't burn the place down.

Alex: All right. Brad.

Brad: The team dynamic, and everybody playing a role and just doing their best and trying to support their teammates--that's what I think is really cool about this. And also, Buzzy's a fraud.

[Laughter]

Buzzy: I believe the phrase is, "They hate me 'cause they ain't me."

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you, Buzzy. So I'm gonna wish you all the best of luck, and I will reveal now the three teams that will be competing in Match #1...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOTORIOUS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RECENT CINEMA (5/5)
OPEN YOUR PIE HOLE (5/5)
"B"ORDER COUNTRIES (5/5)
TRIPLE RHYME TIME (3/5)
IN PERPETUITY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Colby: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alex: $4,600
Brad: $3,600
Colby: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. As everyone knows, Brad Rutter is the biggest money winner in game show history.

[Applause]

Alex: You've been an actor, you've been a producer. I'm sure there are other things you would like to accomplish, things that might be on your bucket list. Tell us about it.

Brad: I would like to get to Australia finally. I've been promising myself I should go there ever since I moved to the West Coast. So I'll finally make that happen, probably, if I win a bunch of money in this tournament.

Alex: Do you have to win the tournament? You don't need a full $333,000 to go to Australia.

Brad: Well, to do it the way I want to you do.

Alex: Oh, oh. All right. Good for you.

Alex: Colby Burnett. I don't wanna know about anything except how your wins affected your mother's life.

Colby: Well, my mother sacrificed everything for me to be here. She is the greatest effect on my life. And so as far as giving back to her, I bought her a place. I'm the best landlord she'll ever have.

[Laughter]

Colby: Rent is a very reasonable zero dollars. And I wanna help ease her into retirement. No older person in my family has gotten to experience that--to just say, "Hey, you're financially secure, you've raised your children, you've done everything right. Do--spend the rest of your days on this place for yourself."

Alex: Good for you, Colby.

[Applause]

Alex Trebek: Alex Jacob had a number of special moments on our program. Let's take a look.

[A clip is shown from the last game of the 2015 Tournament of Champions, #7175.]

Alex Trebek: You got a little emotional when you won that Tournament of Champions. Why?

Alex Jacob: I just love this game so much, and I put so much work into it, into preparing for this, and it just means--it just means a lot.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brad found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Alex had $6,200, Colby had $2,400, and Brad was at $3,200. Brad made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

NOTORIOUS $400: Notorious weapons dealer Adnan Khashoggi was a key figure in this 1986 scandal that saw 1,500 missiles head to Tehran

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRIPLE RHYME TIME $600: Exploring Hellenic mountains for a full 7 days

TRIPLE RHYME TIME $1000: Rocky Mediterranean strait that jumps over the place where ritual sacrifices are made
(Alex Trebek: What is [*]?)
(Brad: Ah!)
(Alex Trebek: Brad, you knew that.)
(Brad: No, I knew two of 'em. It's just the third one that's so tough.)
(Alex Trebek: That's why it's TRIPLE RHYME TIME.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brad: $8,400
Alex: $6,600
Colby: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

(I put this in here, but I don't think it's going to be needed? Can delete later if need be.)
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alex: 6600
Colby: 3200
Brad: 8400

Daily Doubles
Brad: 3200+3200

Coryats
Alex: 6600
Colby: 3200
Brad: 5600

Combined: 15400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Very strange episode with just 30 clues.

The captains were introduced and Alex had envelopes naming the three teams. The team members were introduced and a table huddle was shown for each team deciding round assignments. It was not set ahead of time and the teams knew their opponents.

15 clues were played and there was a break. Chat time was next. Another break and then the conclusion of the J! round as well as the episode.

I counted clues right as:
Brad: 13
Alex: 9
Colby: 6

Brad had the only neg and there were two TS clues as TRIPLE RHYME TIME is not always the easiest to navigate in quick clue time.

The DD was hiding in a $400 box so naturally all of the $600 - $1000 clues had been played before it was uncovered.

Buzzy vs. Alan vs Larissa tomorrow in DJ! with Jennifer, Pam & David handling the FJ! round is what the huddles indicated would happen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game should come with a warning for the board member who does not like things such as ad libs and a movie character impression. Others will find it refreshing that the players are relaxed enough to have fun even in an event with big stakes in play.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am The game should come with a warning for the board member who does not like things such as ad libs and a movie character impression. Others will find it refreshing that the players are relaxed enough to have fun even in an event with big stakes in play.
There's only one?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am The game should come with a warning for the board member who does not like things such as ad libs and a movie character impression. Others will find it refreshing that the players are relaxed enough to have fun even in an event with big stakes in play.
There's only one?
Like!

It seemed to me Colby elided the phrasing on one response similar to the Labour-Tory-same old story of yesterday's program.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

When I saw how much of a preamble there was, I predicted that this would just be a half-game like the Watson tournaments were.

It was interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff, though. Just like the Watson games, an occasional diversion like this is fine.

The J! round pacing reminded me of those 1990s episodes where they did the interviews at the end of the J! round.

Mbclev probably had an aneurysm watching this episode. I, personally, was happy to see the contestants being relaxed and funny.

Lach Trash: Greek peak week
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This may have been answered in that other thread, but why no Roger Craig?

I also thought it curious that Team Buzzy used Alex Jacob for the SJ round. I would have used him for DJ. Or are they saving that strategy for later? I don't really understand the rules.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

On the plus side, nice to see them all again, and they're just as fun as I remember. But the pacing was b-r-u-t-a-l. !$@# me. Not looking forward to the same "one round and a bunch of talk" routine again on Monday.

EDIT:
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm This may have been answered in that other thread, but why no Roger Craig?

I also thought it curious that Team Buzzy used Alex Jacob for the SJ round. I would have used him for DJ. Or are they saving that strategy for later? I don't really understand the rules.
Roger is on Austin's team, they play starting Monday.

They can't play the same round twice in a match. So they probably want whoever is strongest on the buzzer playing DJ in game 2, to close out strong/dig out of a hole.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 pm Mbclev probably had an aneurysm watching this episode. I, personally, was happy to see the contestants being relaxed and funny.
Pet Peeve: having an aneurysm isn't a single event that one notices. It's an ongoing condition that one generally isn't aware of. Anyone reading this might have an aneurysm right now. You might have had it for the last 10 years. It's when the aneurysm RUPTURES that there's a problem.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Haven't been here in a long while! Hello!

I hope Final Jeopardy is not just one episode. haha

two games per team and I expect a strategy/line-up tuning for Friday's taping.

Fun categories today! Surprised I was able to get some.
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 pm On the plus side, nice to see them all again, and they're just as fun as I remember. But the pacing was b-r-u-t-a-l. !$@# me. Not looking forward to the same "one round and a bunch of talk" routine again on Monday.

EDIT:
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm This may have been answered in that other thread, but why no Roger Craig?

Roger is on Austin's team, they play starting Monday.

They can't play the same round twice in a match. So they probably want whoever is strongest on the buzzer playing DJ in game 2, to close out strong/dig out of a hole.
I doubt Roger is playing FJ!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

CyrusChan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:48 pm Haven't been here in a long while! Hello!
I doubt Roger is playing FJ!
Howdy!

Since their team is Austin/Roger/Leonard, my guess would be something like Roger -> Austin -> Leonard in gm1, then Leonard -> Roger -> Austin in gm2. I'd definitely want Roger on the buzzer in both games and in game 2 DJ, then I'd rather have Austin in the remaining DJ than Leonard. I suppose I could be underestimating Leonard.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I feel for Colby: he was against 2 of the fastest buzzers ever. He did well, but that team is in trouble - he'll have to face the same opponents in DJ in day 2.

I like the chats and background strategy. I also like the Sass and trash talk... Team Austin all the way, if only for that.

DJ in this game is Buzzy vs Larissa vs Alan... My suspicion is Larissa has the deepest knowledge of just about anyone in this tourney, and we'll see if she is fast enough to show it.

Got the 2 (? am I remembering correctly) Lach Trash in the wordplay category. Against Brad and Alex that is the category to select.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

what a waste of en episode...too much jibber jabbering...did they really need to go to a break, come back and interview and then go to another break? about as bad as an american football game...pure dull crap without much action
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 pm When I saw how much of a preamble there was, I predicted that this would just be a half-game like the Watson tournaments were.

It was interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff, though. Just like the Watson games, an occasional diversion like this is fine.

The J! round pacing reminded me of those 1990s episodes where they did the interviews at the end of the J! round.

Mbclev probably had an aneurysm watching this episode. I, personally, was happy to see the contestants being relaxed and funny.

Lach Trash: Greek peak week

glad i was living outside of usa during that time and missed those episodes
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 pm
Agreed - strange to deviate from the norm, and I've been a little critical of the tourney, but enjoyed tonight's episode. I for one loved Buzzy's comments in the intro.

Somewhat even first round, should be a great rest of the match.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 pm When I saw how much of a preamble there was, I predicted that this would just be a half-game like the Watson tournaments were.
Not sure you can really predict something that has been fully spelled-out ahead of time.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I predict someone will have a sarcastic reply for this.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I predict some posters will be unhappy with the pace of play, but they'll be very rational and calm about it.