Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
A gimme. How many else can you name?
I didn't think it would be so easy in these games, and I went for Fridtjof Nansen instead (but diplomacy was more his thing than exploration by 1906).
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 pm Thought of Anthony, went with Marcus Garvey who was a bit late. Emma Goldman was in the deep dark recesses of my memory, but there was no way I was dredging her up.

Brad seemed off, and despite his performance, so did Alex.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the DD strategy. I really thought he was going big on those.
marcus garvey was a woman?
Asked and answered.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Guessed the same person for FJ that Buzzy did.

But at least I got a triple stumper right!

Congrats to Team Brad on the win. Regarding whether Brad is still the best of all time or not, for me it might depend on whether or not his team wins this tournament.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
Comments like this make me wonder if you actually watched the show.

Can you elucidate more specifically how I am uninformed?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How about Vitus Bering? Obviously earlier, but I could definitely see Bering as a knee-jerk guess.
floridagator wrote:Can you elucidate more specifically how I am uninformed?
Because obviously Alex Jacob knew this one. It was just a brain fart and came to him a second too late.

Mark me down for "never heard of Emma Goldman" at least that I can recall. I put down Anthony, but had a feeling that was probably wrong.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew it was the lady Maureen Stapleton played in "Reds", but I could not for the life of me remember her name. Put this in LL and let me stew on it for a while and I would probably have come up with it.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

All I could think of for FJ was Margaret Sanger. Goldman doesn't ring a bell.

Keep in mind that Brad had one really bad game previously, against Michael Rooney and Steve Chernicoff...that he somehow still won. I think that it will take more than this to take away his GOAT status.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I had a flawed thought process for FJ that I abandoned, but it wouldn't have gotten me anywhere anyway. I knew McKinley was killed in Buffalo, so I thought about women activists who might be associated with NY, thought of the Seneca Falls Convention, and tried to remember who was most strongly associated with that (forgetting that the convention was over fifty years before the assassination). There was a name I tried to remember from that process (it appears I might have been trying to think of Elizabeth Cady Stanton), but I just gave up and said Anthony just to have something.

Can't say I've heard of Emma Goldman, but her name does ring a very faint bell somehow. Definitely not from Ragtime or Assassins, though.

Enough has been said about Larissa, Brad, Alex et al, but I wanna say that I liked Jennifer's performance a lot. I thought that there was a possibly that she'd be a non-factor, but she held her own very well.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

DBear wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:30 pm Said legerdemain for prestidigitation. :(
FJ found a hole in my history knowledge. Coulda given me all day & I wouldn't get Emma Goldman.
I said sleight-of-hand but I don't think I would have actually buzzed in.

I got a little lucky on FJ!--remembered Goldman from the musical of Ragtime.

I'm really enjoying this so far!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I haven't seen her mentioned in this thread but I went with Mother Jones.

Figured it had to be either her or Carrie Nation and I didn't think Leon Czolgoz had anything to do with temperance movement so I said Mother Jones.

I have heard of Emma Goldman and have her remembered as a "female American anarchist of the early 20th century." But not as an "activist."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:39 pm Enough has been said about Larissa, Brad, Alex et al, but I wanna say that I liked Jennifer's performance a lot. I thought that there was a possibly that she'd be a non-factor, but she held her own very well.
I agree. Very nice job by Jennifer tonight.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 pm Wow. I almost felt sorry for Brad. But of course his trademark... skill holds out and he advances anyway.

I got three of the five TS clues in the SJ round. Did not get FJ. Said Elizabeth Cady Stanton, which I maintain is a superior incorrect response to Susan B. Anthony. No way the response is going to be the first suffragist you think of, not in a tournament like this.
Indeed, Emma Goldman was kind of ambivalent to the whole cause of women's suffrage. She felt that if you're going to have elections, then there was no reason to exclude women from participating, but as an anarchist she also believed that focusing on voting rights was kind of beside the point.
Last edited by Euphonium on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Not much sense rooting for team Colby now because it means rooting against someone else. They made a nice recovery and the third wildcard isn't going to be able to just back into the next round. Good solve by Colby for the doubling up (close enuf).

NHO the Emma lady, can't even come up with the last name now from repeated readings to get this far. Must be an interesting backstory, I'll have to wiki it up. I thought the boards were a little easier tonight, but maybe I just improved my lag time.

Did anyone else play J6 today? It was the easiest set I've ever played (11/12). They must have saved top box clues and didn't need them for this group. But there were more misses and TS's, maybe it was just the whole game in normal time that made it seem different.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:13 am
Did anyone else play J6 today? It was the easiest set I've ever played (11/12).
Maybe they figure they need to throw us a bone so we don't feel bad after missing so many while watching the All-Star matches.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 pm

How about Vitus Bering? Obviously earlier, but I could definitely see Bering as a knee-jerk guess.
Bering was a Dane.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:29 pm All I could think of for FJ was Margaret Sanger. Goldman doesn't ring a bell.

Keep in mind that Brad had one really bad game previously, against Michael Rooney and Steve Chernicoff...that he somehow still won. I think that it will take more than this to take away his GOAT status.
Sanger is probably the closest incorrect answer so far. She and Goldman were pretty close for a while. (Part of Goldman's anarchism included sexual freedom, and she was a big supporter of Sanger.)
yclept

Post by yclept »

It can’t happen unless all three teams are in the finals (obviously), but I would give anything for an Alex vs. Roger vs. Larissa round....assuming Roger hasn’t lost anything speed wise since his last appearance on the show.

Brad had some rare misses but it also looked like he was playing a “come and catch us!” strategy rather than being aggressive. That said, it also appeared that Alex and Pam were simply faster at times.

Going up against a recent TOC finalist and a 19-game winner, Jennifer did well enough to give Alex something to build on.

We will see if that impressive FJ get will catapult Colby to the wild card game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 pm
FJ found a hole in my history knowledge. Coulda given me all day & I wouldn't get Emma Goldman.
Good thing! "Sleight-of-hand" was in the clue already.

SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE CALLED SLEIGHT-OF-HAND ARTIST RICKY JAY "A LEADING SCHOLAR OF" THIS "AND ILLUSION"

I thought of legerdemain but clammed because that's just a Frenchy word for sleight-(lit. light)-of-hand. On the other hand (ha!), I'm not sure there's much meaningful distinction between those two words and prestidigitation (a Frenchy-Italiany-Latiny word for nimble-fingeredness). Both legerdemain and prestidigitation have "sleight-of-hand" as part of their basic dictionary definition. So either way it's a synonym going in that blank and no real way to tell which one the Smithsonian writer chose. Good on Pam for picking the right one! It would've been heartbreaking to see her ring in with legerdemain.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 pm
Good thing! "Sleight-of-hand" was in the clue already.

SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE CALLED SLEIGHT-OF-HAND ARTIST RICKY JAY "A LEADING SCHOLAR OF" THIS "AND ILLUSION"

I thought of legerdemain but clammed because that's just a Frenchy word for sleight-(lit. light)-of-hand. On the other hand (ha!), I'm not sure there's much meaningful distinction between those two words and prestidigitation (a Frenchy-Italiany-Latiny word for nimble-fingeredness). Both legerdemain and prestidigitation have "sleight-of-hand" as part of their basic dictionary definition. So either way it's a synonym going in that blank and no real way to tell which one the Smithsonian writer chose. Good on Pam for picking the right one! It would've been heartbreaking to see her ring in with legerdemain.
Don't you think prestidigitation is much more of a "mouthful"? No contest, I'd say...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 pm Congrats to Team Brad on the win. Regarding whether Brad is still the best of all time or not, for me it might depend on whether or not his team wins this tournament.
StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:29 pm Keep in mind that Brad had one really bad game previously, against Michael Rooney and Steve Chernicoff...that he somehow still won. I think that it will take more than this to take away his GOAT status.
Grrr...

If only Leslie Frates hadn't chickened out and wagered $0 in 2002. She was AHEAD going into FJ. All she had to do was make the shutout bet that just about anyone else in that tournament would have made and Brad would've been an also-ran, stopped in his tracks right there.

Or if only the FJ had been more difficult instead of the gimme triple-get that it was. Then Brad's wildly foolish over-wager from second place would have been exposed and he would have lost due to his own poor decision.

Either way, he never would have gone on to the UTOC and the Watson game and the Battle of the Decades and this.

If only in the UTOC he hadn't crossed out the wrong response and written in the right one when he was in a distant third against Steve Chernicoff and Michael Rooney. And even then, he under-wagered so that he couldn't win against a rational wager from Rooney. But Rooney OVER-wagered and handed the game to Brad. So the very mistake Brad made that didn't bite him in the butt in the Million Dollar Masters is the mistake made by Rooney that ends up gifting Rutter with a win he didn't earn. But oh no, Brad's the GOAT.

If only the Patriots had lost that coin toss. Wait. I'm getting off track.

My point is, Brad wouldn't even be IN this thing without a couple of really lucky breaks where an opponent wagered foolishly against him and the folly of his own wager went unexposed.

If Team Brad wins this thing--and they will because Brad is charmed--I'm moving to a parallel universe. I can't take hearing about how he's the GOAT because he got some lucky breaks and never had to pay for his mistakes. I'll go to the universe where Leslie Frates made the shutout bet and Brad never played again and I get to root for Team Larissa in the All-Star Game.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Brad was already a TOC champion, even if he lost the MDM he still would have been in the UTOC, though would likely have had a tougher path without a first round bye.

As to the rest, while I don’t disagree with the premise of much of it, it may be time to let it go. Much like mbclev, this can’t be healthy. :)