Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Ruling on Homo sapiens sapiens for Cro-Magnon?
I think they would have to accept that (and I'm not just saying that because it was my response, too :D )
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ken doing Ken things. Take your 6 figure check again. The finals will be awesome.

I enjoyed the SJ round. All 3 pretty evenly matched. Leonard - whom we had only ever seen as a teen - was getting tough clues and buzzing fast.

Ok : Colby vs Buzzy vs Austin. Predictions? Looks like Buzzy's team has been much stronger so far. Can any of the other 6 compete with Alex Jacob? Roger if he doesn't neg is fast enough or Colby on the right questions, but he looks almost unstoppable in the next match.

Gonna be fun to watch.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Shocked that no one got Five and Dime, especially after Seth set it up for them.
It's a pretty generational term. I know it only because I'm a retail historian. I only barely remember seeing any of the big dime store names in operation, and I'm 31. Most of them went through myriads of closures in the 80s and early 90s, and from what I can gather, the few that hung on to the very end were pretty rough looking, antiquated stores that no one wanted to shop at anymore. So pretty much what Kmart has been for the past 15 years.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'll take Team Buzzy. Though I must say, I was similarly impressed with Leonard. Should be a close match, unless some big FJ wagers skew things on day 1.
Foretopman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Ruling on Homo sapiens sapiens for Cro-Magnon?
I think they would have to accept that (and I'm not just saying that because it was my response, too :D )
"Don’t call Ayla in “The Clan of the Cave Bear” a neanderthal– she’s this kind of human that emerged later, around 40,000 B.C."

I thought they had left it vague, but they pinned it to a specific character. Are the terms interchangeable?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Shocked that no one got Five and Dime, especially after Seth set it up for them.
It's a pretty generational term.
Eh...I'm definitely older than Leonard, but judging from when she was in the CC I'm basically in the same age range as Monica, and (I know this is always imprecise, but) Seth looks like he's about the same age as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm old so I knew five and dime store.

I was impressed the teen and college champs held their own against Seth.

I was hoping Matt would go all in on FJ, since they already had the game clinched and finish with a total of $100,403.

I have heard of velvet revolution but was expecting something more complicated and didn't know it had been extended to describe all peaceful transitions.

How is the archive planning to handle players' total earnings since some of the prizes (like the one for sixth place) aren't evenly divisible by three?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It's a pretty generational term. I know it only because I'm a retail historian. I only barely remember seeing any of the big dime store names in operation, and I'm 31. Most of them went through myriads of closures in the 80s and early 90s, and from what I can gather, the few that hung on to the very end were pretty rough looking, antiquated stores that no one wanted to shop at anymore. So pretty much what Kmart has been for the past 15 years.
We were at a junk store recently and bought a couple things that had price tags on the back from Woolco. They went out of business in 1983.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:31 pmHow is the archive planning to handle players' total earnings since some of the prizes (like the one for sixth place) aren't evenly divisible by three?
The captain gets an extra penny. :P
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 pm
We were at a junk store recently and bought a couple things that had price tags on the back from Woolco. They went out of business in 1983.
I once bought an LP album entirely because it had a price sticker for Arlan's, which went out of business in 1973.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 pm
They lasted until 1994 in Canada.

Defunct retail chains are an interesting deep dive; I noticed that there were several Target stores in suburban Atlanta with boarded-up skylights visible from the outside, and learned that was the trademark of the Richway store brand that was local in the 1970s and ‘80s.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

generational? these geeks know nothing from several hundreds of years ago....this was barely over a century ago
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I couldn't turn "nickel" into "five" :roll:

I hope everyone who sputtered about the slow game play prior could keep up without issue today. Be careful what you wish for, it's only going to get faster!

Instantly got "velvet revolution" though I had to spend another two seconds telling myself, "That...that doesn't -not- work, so let's just put it down..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm I hope everyone who sputtered about the slow game play prior could keep up without issue today. Be careful what you wish for, it's only going to get faster!
The problem wasn't that the gameplay was slow, it's that it was sparse. It dragged for the same reason that first Watson game dragged. We were being served one round at a time on a slow IV drip; now we're getting full normal games, and it's great. I wish there was a way to speed up those first games (not that they'll do a tourney like this again any time soon), but it should be a fantastic finish.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:18 pm When they ask for "this 3-named historian" does that mean all three names must be given? My brain malfunctioned and coughed up Delores Kearns Goodwin on that one. I knew it didn't sound quite right for some reason, but Dorothy sounded even worse.
My guess is yes, since the category didn't require 3 names. I think "3-named historian" is just there to point to the right person, not to demand the player come up with the full name. I had the same question in another game about this "3-initial writer of "Tales" "- all I could come up with was Hoffman, wasn't sure of the order of E.T.A., but it shouldn't matter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)

I held my own but I'm sure Ken woulda wiped the floor with me. I'll take the points for Cro-Magnon, however

Like Mark, I got to Czechoslovakia right away, but couldn't connect the dots to Velvet Revolution

I'm happy that Team Julia gets to take home some coin, but if this were my tournament, only the finalists would get prize money. The rest would leave empty handed, as they say on that other game show

Looked to me like Monica was losing on the buzzer, so she adopted the very intense and deliberate motion observed above. I'm sure she left Culver City with some callouses

Austin's laugh during the FJ wagering huddle will haunt my dreams tonight
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:00 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm I hope everyone who sputtered about the slow game play prior could keep up without issue today. Be careful what you wish for, it's only going to get faster!
The problem wasn't that the gameplay was slow, it's that it was sparse. It dragged for the same reason that first Watson game dragged. We were being served one round at a time on a slow IV drip; now we're getting full normal games, and it's great. I wish there was a way to speed up those first games (not that they'll do a tourney like this again any time soon), but it should be a fantastic finish.

exactly...the pointless interviews and breaks is what people were complaining about
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
I had to look this up since I've never heard it the way Ken pronounced it. His real first name was Tiziano, pronounced Tit-zha-no, so you could make an argument for Ken's pronunciation.

Ken really came in like a wrecking ball again. What a player.

Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 pmCan any of the other 6 compete with Alex Jacob?
If all six of them shared their buzzer, and their knowledge pool.... maybe?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
Yeah, that was odd.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Seemed to me there was an edit there, but it certainly is an odd answer. Not sure exactly what they were looking for (maybe "read his/her mind? I don't recall the wording of the clue).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm
Yeah, that was odd.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Seemed to me there was an edit there, but it certainly is an odd answer. Not sure exactly what they were looking for (maybe "read his/her mind? I don't recall the wording of the clue).
I went with 'read the mind' and counted it since all the ways I've heard it don't use a 3-letter word in the middle...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Leonard
Leonard
Leonard
Leonard
Leonard
Leonard

Forget that Jennings guy. We got a new sheriff in town. LC could be the sleeper that slays some giants in the next few games.

Ok. Just a wish. Remember, I'm a Chiefs fan, so delusion is a coping mechanism. I'm just so amped that the rookies performed so well. :D I know Voldemort awaits...
Spoiler
Tom Brady
I guess I got FJ due to osmosis and possible frequent use of the term on NPR, usually prefaced with "so-called". At least no box of shame for me this week.

This Yankee knows July 1 and October 12 as Independence/Thanksgiving days with December 26 as Boxing Day thanks to my many Canuck contacts.

Tough darts for Team Julia but they lost fair and square. I don't think they'd make it through the next level without some perfect category draws.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.