Tuesday, March 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Re: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm Instaget FJ, those are three high profile amendments.

I wasn’t a fan of the format, but I don’t fault them for trying. With today’s news, this could be Alex’s last mega-TOC, but hopefully he will be able to host another before he retires on his own terms. I would love to see him end his career with the greatest of all 35 years in a special tournament.

But it would be another Brad steamroll, so maybe not.
I don't think that's going to happen. Given a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis, I think it's likely, but not guaranteed, that he'll finish this season which I understand only has a month more of taping to go.

If for some reason he can't keep working that long, I would think they'd just cut the season a little short (if they don't have any contract requirement to produce a full 46 weeks a year of new programming). That way, they can take some extra time in finding a replacement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

slam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 am
If for some reason he can't keep working that long, I would think they'd just cut the season a little short (if they don't have any contract requirement to produce a full 46 weeks a year of new programming). That way, they can take some extra time in finding a replacement.
I just looked at one of their contracts. It is for 52 weeks with 5 weekday shows and 1 weekend show. It does not specify how many of the shows need to be original.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:11 pm
slam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 am
I just looked at one of their contracts. It is for 52 weeks with 5 weekday shows and 1 weekend show. It does not specify how many of the shows need to be original.
Thanks. That gives them some wiggle room. I bet the search for a replacement has already begun.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they just needed someone for a few weeks to end the season, I wonder if they would ask Pat Sajak?
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:15 pm If they just needed someone for a few weeks to end the season, I wonder if they would ask Pat Sajak?
Sounds like a good interim choice. After all, he already has one game of experience!

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=226
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 pm The Cygnus X-1 clue brought a smile to this Rush fan. 8-)
Indeed, it's the second time this tournament that I thought "If only Jennifer Morrow were here..."
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:50 am
I also felt the show was hamstrung by the need to highlight recent champs who are good, not great. Personally I would rather see a Jerome Vered or Leslie Shannon up there, and not Austin Rogers’ armpit fart routine. I know these folks still know their stuff - they showed it this weekend in Vegas, for example - and I feel that some of these champs might have put up a bit more of a fight... A tournament of great players shouldn’t have to do that, right?
So, this was ok. Glad to see Brad and Ken still have it. But I feel this won’t and shouldn’t happen again.
First, I thought it played much better than I expected. Of course, I knew quite a few of the 18 players I would say probably 12 to 14 of them. On the Friday night of the tournament, I watched with four of them ( and will be playing with two tomorrow night at O'Briens, and it is my birthday so that should be fine).

Referring to the selection here, I will say is I once heard the president of the former Radcliffe say, we make many mistakes about who we don't let in, but we make no mistakes about we do let in.
Everyone there had a good reason to be there and it's not as though any of them took a space away from somebody else.

As far as how we did in Vegas, man! I must know who this is but I'm not sure. My team finished #6 but not much thanks to me – I wasn't much help on the pop music rounds. Pretty good with cheeses though

I was also a little surprised that the questions didn't run much harder. In the UTOC, there was a game when all three finalists were in the minus column. And I think the hardest board I've ever seen was one of the first round knockouts for the 90s decade in the BotD. It was a grueling game to watch (I'd been eliminated as I was from the previous 84-93 group. But luckily could come to the taping). I think TOC's in these tournaments should be difficult. I think there was only one final Jeopardy that approached the difficulty of my ToC rounds.

But it's been a while, and the riders may have different instructions or are going for something else. I was certainly very happy to see many of the players come back. And I was very happy that I was not spoiled on the tournament and complete disclosure, Buzzy let slip some thing last August which he shouldn't have which led me to ask him a question and he hemmed and hawed but eventually told me that there was going to be a tournament and he told me a few of the people who were going to be in it and so I figured out that guess who is not getting invited. Anyway, I've seen my role taken by a guy who works with computers and a computer as well.

For whatever reasons, market research or got instinct, they chose to run a little young. I think the oldest person playing was Ken Jennings. And the only people who had been in the UTOC were two of the finalists and one of the semifinalists and even battle of the decades people were few – Dave Madden, I think Larisssa, others?...
I don't think they really wanted to give the amount of time necessary which would be months for another UTOC type elimination tourney. And I think they really wanted Brad and Ken to go head to head. And in regular play, Brad is usually dominant but I still remember as does he the Crete Garfield game, Chernicoff and Rooney and him and he was in last place going into final Jeopardy but the point of the game isn't necessarily to dominate. The point of the game is to win.

And he won and sometimes you win because you dominate, and sometimes you win because the others make mistakes or bet wrong. That's how I won more than one game (was in distant third playing my second game against Frank' Spangenberg snd Pam, I am fortunately for me they didn't know if Jay, and even though I did, a bet zero).

I guess I could search but just let me know, who is this who would've liked to have seen some more of the older players? Because for those of us who are older players, it's nice to be remembered.