Alex Trebek Announces Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Alex Trebek Announces Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:44 pm Posted elsewhere:

A friend of mine went to a Jeopardy! taping last Wednesday. She saw the Thurs. and Fri. games. They have changed the schedule, and Alex does three games one day and two on another. He can't do five a day anymore. She said he didn't look well, and he had to re-record quite a few answers. He also had a coughing fit and was doubled over in pain because he had fallen and injured, but not broken, a rib. They had to stop the tape. He then announced that he would be taking two weeks off for various tests. He was done with the latest round of chemo and was stopping immunotherapy because it wasn't working. This doesn't sound promising. (These shows will air in January. Alex joked that the audience should have been there for the Christmas show, because they gave out gifts. Then he admitted he was joking; he doesn't have the kind of money Oprah does.)
This is not good to hear. I want to meet and talk to Alex before it's too late because he is one of the few people that I idolize.

However, I feel that trying to write a letter to him or find a way to contact him personally would jettison my chances of being a contestant. Should I act as if I'm going to be one of the lucky ones to make the cut while AT is still around, or risk it?
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

TPH, I'd say just think about the chance to meet in person right now. Even if not a contestant, getting close to Alex should be a great experience for anyone.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:44 pm Posted elsewhere:

A friend of mine went to a Jeopardy! taping last Wednesday. She saw the Thurs. and Fri. games. They have changed the schedule, and Alex does three games one day and two on another. He can't do five a day anymore. She said he didn't look well, and he had to re-record quite a few answers. He also had a coughing fit and was doubled over in pain because he had fallen and injured, but not broken, a rib. They had to stop the tape. He then announced that he would be taking two weeks off for various tests. He was done with the latest round of chemo and was stopping immunotherapy because it wasn't working. This doesn't sound promising. (These shows will air in January. Alex joked that the audience should have been there for the Christmas show, because they gave out gifts. Then he admitted he was joking; he doesn't have the kind of money Oprah does.)
This is not good to hear. I want to meet and talk to Alex before it's too late because he is one of the few people that I idolize.

However, I feel that trying to write a letter to him or find a way to contact him personally would jettison my chances of being a contestant. Should I act as if I'm going to be one of the lucky ones to make the cut while AT is still around, or risk it?
You could enclose an enveloped letter to Alex in an envelope to J!, alongside a letter to TPTB that says you're a potential contestant trying to send Alex a fan letter while avoiding impropriety/disqualification.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

If Alex can't handle five shows in a taping day that will complicate things for the tournament quarterfinals since players are supposed to be sequestered until their QF is taped. (The upcoming ToC was presumably taped before the taping schedule changed, but this would apply for the other tourneys later on.)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Does anyone know if the extra days caused by the new taping schedule means that they are paying the contestants hotel bill after the first day?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Before people get too deeply into this, I have yet to see confirmation of this.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

GoodStrategy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:57 pm If Alex can't handle five shows in a taping day that will complicate things for the tournament quarterfinals since players are supposed to be sequestered until their QF is taped. (The upcoming ToC was presumably taped before the taping schedule changed, but this would apply for the other tourneys later on.)
The TOC was taped six weeks ago, and it was the typical five-shows-a-day schedule.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Alex has released a new public service announcement about pancreatic cancer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTr1dzPYPug
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 pm I want to meet and talk to Alex before it's too late because he is one of the few people that I idolize.

Risk it. Trying to contact AT personally is not going to be what negatively impacts your chances of being a contestant.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 pm

One way to get his attention would be to send him a book. Insert a get-well card inside. You don't even need a padded envelope. Just tape the book shut and affix an address label and postage like this:

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

For what it's worth, I was able to get and confirm tickets for the 10:15 am taping on Wednesday, November 20 today. They had previously been unavailable as of a week ago.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I followed Sg's suggestion and sent snail mail last Monday to Sony Studios.