Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3957
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am

Game Recap for Show #7951, 2019-03-18

CONTESTANTS
Brian Heavey, an assistant IT manager from Middleborough, Massachusetts
Lauren Owen, a director of analytics from Littleton, Colorado
Lindsey Shultz, a physician and health care analyst from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $55,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone, to another week of Jeopardy! She is petite, but she is very, very powerful. I'm referring to our champion, Lindsey, a great player as attested to by her two-day score. Lauren and Brian, you're gonna have to be at your very best to replace her. Good luck, though. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is first, and today, this is the first of the six categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSIDE, THE "OC" (5/5)
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY (4/5)
COLORFUL LIT (4/5)
FIVE GUYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISSOURI HISTORY (5/5)
TV SERIES FINALES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lindsey: 10 R, 0 W
Lauren: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600



JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lindsey had $3,000, Lauren had $400, and Brian was at $1,400. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

FIVE GUYS $800: On his passing in 2018, the cast of "The Big Bang Theory" tweeted, "Thank you for inspiring us and the world"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brian: $4,400
Lindsey: $3,000
Lauren: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS



Alex: Brian Heavey is from Middleborough, Massachusetts, and you made your television debut not today on our program, but on an infomercial?

Brian: That's right. This is old hat now, Alex. I had a starring role on an infomercial for Dollar Bill's Discount World, a discount retailer in New Hampshire.

Alex: Oh. All righty.




Alex: Lauren Owen is a director of analytics from Colorado. Now in football, we often see the opposing coach try to ice the placekicker just before he makes a kick. You did something similar to a basketball player who was about to shoot a free throw.

Lauren: Right. I was actually cheering for him, though. I'm a big Pistons fan; I grew up a Pistons fan. And I happened to be sitting in the second row, underneath the net, and Grant Hill, who I absolutely adored, was shooting a free throw. And the place got silent, 'cause it was home court, and I thought it was my opportunity, being the junior high girl that I was, to shout, "Grant Hill, will you marry me?"

[Laughter]

Lauren: I think he heard me, 'cause he smirked, and then he made his shot, so it was a win-win.

Alex: All right.




Alex: Lindsey Shultz is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. When she was 22, she did as so many young students do--they travel the world. And you visited what part of Eastern Europe?

Lindsey: Norway. Went across, down through the Baltic states, and all the way down to the Balkans. I went to Sarajevo. I went bungee-jumping in Mostar. I got to hang out on the beach in Dubrovnik. It was phenomenal.

Alex: What was the highlight of your trip?

Lindsey: You know, it's really amazing to go somewhere that history feels so fresh--that the bullets are still pockmarking buildings across that area. It's just amazing.

Alex: I was in Sarajevo around that same time. Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLORFUL LIT $1000: By Martha Hall Kelley about 3 women whose lives intersect during World War II & the Holocaust:
"____ Girls"

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $600: Apparel from PVH Corp. includes Tommy Hilfiger jeans & this 90-year-old swimsuit brand
(Lauren: What is Jansport?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brian: $7,800
Lindsey: $6,000
Lauren: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3957
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRIDENT TRUE (5/5)
THE CELEBRITY AUTHOR (5/5)
ARCHAEOLOGY (3/5)
15-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COUNTRY SHORTCUTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We want you to name the country directly between the two countries that we will give you as part of the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Brian: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Lauren: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800



FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsey snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Lindsey had $6,800, Lauren had $2,200, and Brian was at $7,800. Lindsey wagered $3,000.

COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $800: Israel & Saudi Arabia

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lindsey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Lindsey had $16,600, Lauren was in the red with -$200, and Brian was at $11,000. Lindsey wagered $2,000.

CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES $1200: His father, Hiao-Tsiun, gave him a "cello" when he was 4 by putting an endpin on a viola

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $1600: Somalia & Uganda
(Lindsey: What is Ethiopia?)
(Brian: What is Nigeria?)

COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $2000: Brunei & Indonesia

15-LETTER WORDS $2000: It's the propensity for asking a lot of questions, whether out of curiosity or nosiness
(Brian: What is perspicacity?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $1200: Incurring a curse, Tamerlane's tomb was opened in June 1941; on June 22 Hitler invaded this homeland of the archaeologists
(Brian: What is Britain?)
(Lauren: What is Poland?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $2000: Uncovered in 1928 by a peasant's plow, the city of Ugarit in Syria once thrived, with a big temple to this fertility god

CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES $2000: At 10 this "Saint"ly composer gave a Paris recital & took requests for any of Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas he'd memorized

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lindsey: $21,000
Brian: $12,200
Lauren: -$200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Lindsey: Wager $3,401 to cover Brian.
Brian: You have the hope of surpassing Lindsey if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $12,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters

FINAL SCORES
Brian: $12,200 - $12,139 = $61 (What is water?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsey: $21,000 + $3,401 = $24,401 (What are moonlight + spotlight? Hi mom!) (3-day champion: $79,602)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS
Image

CORYAT SCORES
Lindsey: $18,000, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Brian: $11,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Lauren: -$200, 8 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lindsey: 26/60 = .433
Brian: 19/59 = .322
Lauren: 8/58 = .138
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FIVE GUYS $600: One of the first openly gay U.S. Winter Olympians, in 2018 he captured a medal & also won "Dancing With the Stars"

INSIDE, THE "OC" $800: It describes on whose actions go against his stated beliefs; what a...!
(Lindsey: Hyp--what is--what is [*]?)

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $400: Give a toast to this Kellogg's frozen breakfast brand originally called "Froffles"
(Lauren: What are Pop-Tarts?)

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $800: The 2018 spokesbaby of this baby food brand is the first with Down Syndrome

TRIDENT TRUE $800: Not just Western gods, but this Hindu god who consorts with Shakti wields a trident, the sacred trisula
(Lauren: Who is Vishnu?)

THE CELEBRITY AUTHOR $1600: The L.A. Times:
"Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote a novel about" him, "Sherlock Homes' brother (and it's good!)"
(Lauren: I forget.)

TRIDENT TRUE $1200: Sparky the Sun Devil is the trident-wielding mascot of this university
(Lindsey: What is Arizona?)

TRIDENT TRUE $2000: The broken shaft of the trident on the flag of Barbados symbolizes independence from this colonial power

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Stephen) Hawking
lilac
Speedo
Jordan
Yo-Yo Ma
Kenya
Malaysia
inquisitiveness
Russia
Baal
Camille Saint-Saens
Moonlight & Spotlight
Adam Rippon
a hypocrite
Eggo
Gerber
Shiva
Mycroft Holmes
Arizona State
Great Britain
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters

Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Spotlight & Moonlight (Brian – Water)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 1400+1400
Lindsey: 6800+3000
Lindsey: 16600+2000

Coryats
Lindsey: 18000
Lauren: minus 200
Brian: 11600

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lindsey: 6000
Lauren: 2200
Brian: 7800

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9813
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 am

Brian was a remind-alike for Terry Fator of AGT fame.

It did not matter today though Lindsey could have put the game away prior to the FJ! round with bigger wagers on the DDs. She is 5/5 so far on them.

The FJ! clue was one where I was done writing in just beating the music’s beginning as I have been waiting for that clue ever since I noticed the coincidence of the titles. It was nice to know right where to go and not have to make a larger search of film titles over many decades.

Lindsey is 1+L+1 for always leading into the FJ! round with the middle game a runaway. In baseball she’s what you call a tough out. She has the possibility to jump all of the 4x winners tomorrow as a $26,001 win is within her reach.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm

theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Queens

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 pm

sneaky sneaky with Borneo.

User avatar
Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:07 am

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vowela » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm surprised Lindsey's doing so well. Usually people who go rough on the signaling device the way she does have trouble ringing in before everyone else.

I wasted thirty seconds trying to think of a second movie ending in "nbook" :P.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8230
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm

If there's one thing I hate more than Oscar categories, it's wordplay categories. Not sure I've even ever heard of Spotlight.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm

So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.

Winchester's orchestra is the biggest tearjerker on television EVER (also, Winchester is the best written+performed television character EVER)

How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?

Lindsey's failure to say "state" cost her a lock--she would have had $23,400 to Brian's $11,000.

Coryat: $36,600

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 in Inside, Missouri History, and TV Series. 4/5 in Colorful Lit. 3/5 in Five Guys. 2/5 in Business & Industry.

DJ: 23R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 in 15-Letter Words, and Classical Music Prodigies. 4/5 in Trident True. 3/5 in Celebrity Author, Archaeology, and Country Shortcuts.

FJ: Missed. I don't recall even hearing of Spotlight, much less knowing that it had won Best Picture.

LT: Speedo, inquisitiveness, Russia, Saint-Saens
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts, by way of Vermont!

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by threearruda » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Congrats on win #3, Lindsey!
Euphonium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm
So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.
Hah, glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed at that. Not much of a burger guy, and I have not seen this in person yet, but supposedly a Five Guys recently opened close to my hometown (the previous closest was about an hour away). Will need to investigate very soon. :D
FJ: Missed. I don't recall even hearing of Spotlight, much less knowing that it had won Best Picture.
Instaget for me. You'll probably have looked this up by now, but Spotlight was about the Boston Globe's investigation of sex abuse cases in the Catholic church. Having this take place closer to my backyard may have helped my case this time.
Dumb college kid. Go BR!

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3544
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 pm

I had a brief moratorium last week on hating "meaningless orthographic coincidence" clues, but after this FJ I'm back to hating...At least this one rewarded something - memorization of the BP winners, which I haven't done. But then again I'd just written Moonlight when time ran out, and I knew Spotlight was the other film without quite remembering what those first 4 letters were, so maybe I would have got it in another :10 or :15...

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Golf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
and that still surprises you?

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm

Euphonium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm
So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.

Winchester's orchestra is the biggest tearjerker on television EVER (also, Winchester is the best written+performed television character EVER)

How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?

Lindsey's failure to say "state" cost her a lock--she would have had $23,400 to Brian's $11,000.

Coryat: $36,600

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 in Inside, Missouri History, and TV Series. 4/5 in Colorful Lit. 3/5 in Five Guys. 2/5 in Business & Industry.

DJ: 23R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 in 15-Letter Words, and Classical Music Prodigies. 4/5 in Trident True. 3/5 in Celebrity Author, Archaeology, and Country Shortcuts.

FJ: Missed. I don't recall even hearing of Spotlight, much less knowing that it had won Best Picture.

LT: Speedo, inquisitiveness, Russia, Saint-Saens
never heard of him

got the final jeopardy clue correct, though...couldn't tell you what either movie is about, but it was an instaget

User avatar
twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1480
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Golf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
Which contestant? And why does your post have secret script in it?
In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm
Golf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
Which contestant? And why does your post have secret script in it?
In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. Morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
why would the losing player bet anything but all in? a zero wager does nothing as her cover total is above his 0 zero wager...is he really going to bet small? so she basically left 5999 on the table in the even the dude wagered 0 she is above that laying up wager...let's say he did wager small and got it right hoping she would miss and wager enough to win by 1 buck on a 0 zero wager, what does that do for 2nd place? he is leaving money on the table as well

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 am

I will not be sorry to see Lindsey go, because she is Mondo annoying with the signaling device.

I took note that Alex did not use any soothing words in bidding Lauren farewell, such as "it just wasn't your day." It's hard to believe it's ever Lauren's day, with her wild guesses at high value clues. Just guess the only Hindu god you know and maybe it will be right. Just pick a country Hitler invaded at some point, even if the whole world knows Poland was invaded in 1939, not 1941. Just name a Kellogg's product, even a non frozen one like Pop-Tarts.

But her story about the Detroit Pistons reminded me of this ditty by Tim Cavanagh
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZlD9VByMU
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm
Golf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
Which contestant? And why does your post have secret script in it?
In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. Morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
why would the losing player bet anything but all in? a zero wager does nothing as her cover total is above his 0 zero wager...is he really going to bet small? so she basically left 5999 on the table in the even the dude wagered 0 she is above that laying up wager...let's say he did wager small and got it right hoping she would miss and wager enough to win by 1 buck on a 0 zero wager, what does that do for 2nd place? he is leaving money on the table as well
I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm
Golf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
Which contestant? And why does your post have secret script in it?
In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. Morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
why would the losing player bet anything but all in? a zero wager does nothing as her cover total is above his 0 zero wager...is he really going to bet small? so she basically left 5999 on the table in the even the dude wagered 0 she is above that laying up wager...let's say he did wager small and got it right hoping she would miss and wager enough to win by 1 buck on a 0 zero wager, what does that do for 2nd place? he is leaving money on the table as well
I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2905
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am

Coryat: 41,000
48 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speedo, Malaysia, inquisitiveness, Camille Saint-Saens

This FJ! says a lot about the waning cultural relevance of the Oscars. I'd guess that the majority of the home audience, like several posters so far in this thread, are not familiar with Spotlight. Were it not for the Best Picture announcement botch, it's likely that even fewer would be familiar with Moonlight. Not that any of that matters here. Prospective J! contestants/trivia nerds ought to be familiar with Best Picture winners, particularly those in the recent past.

My wife used to do custom framing. She and a coworker referred to Mssr. Kinkade as the Painter of Shite.

Totally blank moment of the night: could not remember Aveeno for the life of me.

The final clue in DJ! was strange. I thought for sure they'd ask the contestants to identify the flag of Barbados. Instead, they asked what country Barbados gained its independence from. Really? For $2000?
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Euphonium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm
How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?
never heard of him
Sorta surprised by this given that his most well-known work is entitled Danse Macabre.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am
Coryat: 41,000
48 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speedo, Malaysia, inquisitiveness, Camille Saint-Saens

This FJ! says a lot about the waning cultural relevance of the Oscars. I'd guess that the majority of the home audience, like several posters so far in this thread, are not familiar with Spotlight. Were it not for the Best Picture announcement botch, it's likely that even fewer would be familiar with Moonlight. Not that any of that matters here. Prospective J! contestants/trivia nerds ought to be familiar with Best Picture winners, particularly those in the recent past.

My wife used to do custom framing. She and a coworker referred to Mssr. Kinkade as the Painter of Shite.

Totally blank moment of the night: could not remember Aveeno for the life of me.

The final clue in DJ! was strange. I thought for sure they'd ask the contestants to identify the flag of Barbados. Instead, they asked what country Barbados gained its independence from. Really? For $2000?
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Euphonium wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm
How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?
never heard of him
Sorta surprised by this given that his most well-known work is entitled Danse Macabre.
heard of the work, but know nothing about it

Post Reply