Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7951, 2019-03-18

CONTESTANTS
Brian Heavey, an assistant IT manager from Middleborough, Massachusetts
Lauren Owen, a director of analytics from Littleton, Colorado
Lindsey Shultz, a physician and health care analyst from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $55,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone, to another week of Jeopardy! She is petite, but she is very, very powerful. I'm referring to our champion, Lindsey, a great player as attested to by her two-day score. Lauren and Brian, you're gonna have to be at your very best to replace her. Good luck, though. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is first, and today, this is the first of the six categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSIDE, THE "OC" (5/5)
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY (4/5)
COLORFUL LIT (4/5)
FIVE GUYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISSOURI HISTORY (5/5)
TV SERIES FINALES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lindsey: 10 R, 0 W
Lauren: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lindsey had $3,000, Lauren had $400, and Brian was at $1,400. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

FIVE GUYS $800: On his passing in 2018, the cast of "The Big Bang Theory" tweeted, "Thank you for inspiring us and the world"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brian: $4,400
Lindsey: $3,000
Lauren: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brian Heavey is from Middleborough, Massachusetts, and you made your television debut not today on our program, but on an infomercial?

Brian: That's right. This is old hat now, Alex. I had a starring role on an infomercial for Dollar Bill's Discount World, a discount retailer in New Hampshire.

Alex: Oh. All righty.

Alex: Lauren Owen is a director of analytics from Colorado. Now in football, we often see the opposing coach try to ice the placekicker just before he makes a kick. You did something similar to a basketball player who was about to shoot a free throw.

Lauren: Right. I was actually cheering for him, though. I'm a big Pistons fan; I grew up a Pistons fan. And I happened to be sitting in the second row, underneath the net, and Grant Hill, who I absolutely adored, was shooting a free throw. And the place got silent, 'cause it was home court, and I thought it was my opportunity, being the junior high girl that I was, to shout, "Grant Hill, will you marry me?"

[Laughter]

Lauren: I think he heard me, 'cause he smirked, and then he made his shot, so it was a win-win.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Lindsey Shultz is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. When she was 22, she did as so many young students do--they travel the world. And you visited what part of Eastern Europe?

Lindsey: Norway. Went across, down through the Baltic states, and all the way down to the Balkans. I went to Sarajevo. I went bungee-jumping in Mostar. I got to hang out on the beach in Dubrovnik. It was phenomenal.

Alex: What was the highlight of your trip?

Lindsey: You know, it's really amazing to go somewhere that history feels so fresh--that the bullets are still pockmarking buildings across that area. It's just amazing.

Alex: I was in Sarajevo around that same time. Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLORFUL LIT $1000: By Martha Hall Kelley about 3 women whose lives intersect during World War II & the Holocaust:
"____ Girls"

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $600: Apparel from PVH Corp. includes Tommy Hilfiger jeans & this 90-year-old swimsuit brand
(Lauren: What is Jansport?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brian: $7,800
Lindsey: $6,000
Lauren: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRIDENT TRUE (5/5)
THE CELEBRITY AUTHOR (5/5)
ARCHAEOLOGY (3/5)
15-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COUNTRY SHORTCUTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We want you to name the country directly between the two countries that we will give you as part of the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Brian: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Lauren: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsey snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Lindsey had $6,800, Lauren had $2,200, and Brian was at $7,800. Lindsey wagered $3,000.

COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $800: Israel & Saudi Arabia

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lindsey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Lindsey had $16,600, Lauren was in the red with -$200, and Brian was at $11,000. Lindsey wagered $2,000.

CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES $1200: His father, Hiao-Tsiun, gave him a "cello" when he was 4 by putting an endpin on a viola

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $1600: Somalia & Uganda
(Lindsey: What is Ethiopia?)
(Brian: What is Nigeria?)

COUNTRY SHORTCUTS $2000: Brunei & Indonesia

15-LETTER WORDS $2000: It's the propensity for asking a lot of questions, whether out of curiosity or nosiness
(Brian: What is perspicacity?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $1200: Incurring a curse, Tamerlane's tomb was opened in June 1941; on June 22 Hitler invaded this homeland of the archaeologists
(Brian: What is Britain?)
(Lauren: What is Poland?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $2000: Uncovered in 1928 by a peasant's plow, the city of Ugarit in Syria once thrived, with a big temple to this fertility god

CLASSICAL MUSIC PRODIGIES $2000: At 10 this "Saint"ly composer gave a Paris recital & took requests for any of Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas he'd memorized

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lindsey: $21,000
Brian: $12,200
Lauren: -$200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Lindsey: Wager $3,401 to cover Brian.
Brian: You have the hope of surpassing Lindsey if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $12,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters

FINAL SCORES
Brian: $12,200 - $12,139 = $61 (What is water?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsey: $21,000 + $3,401 = $24,401 (What are moonlight + spotlight? Hi mom!) (3-day champion: $79,602)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lindsey: $18,000, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Brian: $11,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Lauren: -$200, 8 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lindsey: 26/60 = .433
Brian: 19/59 = .322
Lauren: 8/58 = .138
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FIVE GUYS $600: One of the first openly gay U.S. Winter Olympians, in 2018 he captured a medal & also won "Dancing With the Stars"

INSIDE, THE "OC" $800: It describes on whose actions go against his stated beliefs; what a...!
(Lindsey: Hyp--what is--what is [*]?)

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $400: Give a toast to this Kellogg's frozen breakfast brand originally called "Froffles"
(Lauren: What are Pop-Tarts?)

BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $800: The 2018 spokesbaby of this baby food brand is the first with Down Syndrome

TRIDENT TRUE $800: Not just Western gods, but this Hindu god who consorts with Shakti wields a trident, the sacred trisula
(Lauren: Who is Vishnu?)

THE CELEBRITY AUTHOR $1600: The L.A. Times:
"Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote a novel about" him, "Sherlock Homes' brother (and it's good!)"
(Lauren: I forget.)

TRIDENT TRUE $1200: Sparky the Sun Devil is the trident-wielding mascot of this university
(Lindsey: What is Arizona?)

TRIDENT TRUE $2000: The broken shaft of the trident on the flag of Barbados symbolizes independence from this colonial power

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Stephen) Hawking
lilac
Speedo
Jordan
Yo-Yo Ma
Kenya
Malaysia
inquisitiveness
Russia
Baal
Camille Saint-Saens
Moonlight & Spotlight
Adam Rippon
a hypocrite
Eggo
Gerber
Shiva
Mycroft Holmes
Arizona State
Great Britain
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters

Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
Lauren Owen: minus 200
Brian Heavey: 12200-12139=61

Correct response:
Spoiler
Spotlight & Moonlight (Brian – Water)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 1400+1400
Lindsey: 6800+3000
Lindsey: 16600+2000

Coryats
Lindsey: 18000
Lauren: minus 200
Brian: 11600

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lindsey: 6000
Lauren: 2200
Brian: 7800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Brian was a remind-alike for Terry Fator of AGT fame.

It did not matter today though Lindsey could have put the game away prior to the FJ! round with bigger wagers on the DDs. She is 5/5 so far on them.

The FJ! clue was one where I was done writing in just beating the music’s beginning as I have been waiting for that clue ever since I noticed the coincidence of the titles. It was nice to know right where to go and not have to make a larger search of film titles over many decades.

Lindsey is 1+L+1 for always leading into the FJ! round with the middle game a runaway. In baseball she’s what you call a tough out. She has the possibility to jump all of the 4x winners tomorrow as a $26,001 win is within her reach.
Golf

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

Math errors can and have happened.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

sneaky sneaky with Borneo.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm surprised Lindsey's doing so well. Usually people who go rough on the signaling device the way she does have trouble ringing in before everyone else.

I wasted thirty seconds trying to think of a second movie ending in "nbook" :P.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If there's one thing I hate more than Oscar categories, it's wordplay categories. Not sure I've even ever heard of Spotlight.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.

Winchester's orchestra is the biggest tearjerker on television EVER (also, Winchester is the best written+performed television character EVER)

How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?

Lindsey's failure to say "state" cost her a lock--she would have had $23,400 to Brian's $11,000.

Coryat: $36,600

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 in Inside, Missouri History, and TV Series. 4/5 in Colorful Lit. 3/5 in Five Guys. 2/5 in Business & Industry.

DJ: 23R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 in 15-Letter Words, and Classical Music Prodigies. 4/5 in Trident True. 3/5 in Celebrity Author, Archaeology, and Country Shortcuts.

FJ: Missed. I don't recall even hearing of Spotlight, much less knowing that it had won Best Picture.

LT: Speedo, inquisitiveness, Russia, Saint-Saens
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats on win #3, Lindsey!
Euphonium wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.
Hah, glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed at that. Not much of a burger guy, and I have not seen this in person yet, but supposedly a Five Guys recently opened close to my hometown (the previous closest was about an hour away). Will need to investigate very soon. :D
FJ: Missed. I don't recall even hearing of Spotlight, much less knowing that it had won Best Picture.
Instaget for me. You'll probably have looked this up by now, but Spotlight was about the Boston Globe's investigation of sex abuse cases in the Catholic church. Having this take place closer to my backyard may have helped my case this time.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

I had a brief moratorium last week on hating "meaningless orthographic coincidence" clues, but after this FJ I'm back to hating...At least this one rewarded something - memorization of the BP winners, which I haven't done. But then again I'd just written Moonlight when time ran out, and I knew Spotlight was the other film without quite remembering what those first 4 letters were, so maybe I would have got it in another :10 or :15...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm
theFJguy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am Lindsey Shultz: 21000+3401=24401 (3X = $79,602)
For the umpteenth time, a contestant leaves money on the table in a 2-person FJ for absolutely no reason.

Although I'm sure someone will irrationally jump to his defense because he possibly didn't want to finish the game with $0. Which still wins $2000, no different than finishing with $x.

and that still surprises you?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm So Five Guys isn't about burgers, then.

Winchester's orchestra is the biggest tearjerker on television EVER (also, Winchester is the best written+performed television character EVER)

How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?

Lindsey's failure to say "state" cost her a lock--she would have had $23,400 to Brian's $11,000.

Coryat: $36,600

J: 24R5P1W. Got DD. 5/5 in Inside, Missouri History, and TV Series. 4/5 in Colorful Lit. 3/5 in Five Guys. 2/5 in Business & Industry.

DJ: 23R6P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 in 15-Letter Words, and Classical Music Prodigies. 4/5 in Trident True. 3/5 in Celebrity Author, Archaeology, and Country Shortcuts.

LT: Speedo, inquisitiveness, Russia, Saint-Saens
never heard of him

got the final jeopardy clue correct, though...couldn't tell you what either movie is about, but it was an instaget
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Which contestant? And why does your post have secret script in it?
In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm

In Lindsay's position, once she makes the cover bet, it is not house money and it is not "left on the table". She gets the Make/miss and miss/miss paydays. Any more wager above the cover bet is tantamount to a stranger offering an even money bet to you on an unknown question of a certain theme, but you have 30 seconds, there might be wordplay, and you have to write it in pee in the snow.

If you refer to Brian, can't he have his special losing number for a couple/three sawbucks?

I'm liking Lindsay a lot. Alex called her petite - she's entitled to call him old.

No chance for me on FJ. Morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
why would the losing player bet anything but all in? a zero wager does nothing as her cover total is above his 0 zero wager...is he really going to bet small? so she basically left 5999 on the table in the even the dude wagered 0 she is above that laying up wager...let's say he did wager small and got it right hoping she would miss and wager enough to win by 1 buck on a 0 zero wager, what does that do for 2nd place? he is leaving money on the table as well
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I will not be sorry to see Lindsey go, because she is Mondo annoying with the signaling device.

I took note that Alex did not use any soothing words in bidding Lauren farewell, such as "it just wasn't your day." It's hard to believe it's ever Lauren's day, with her wild guesses at high value clues. Just guess the only Hindu god you know and maybe it will be right. Just pick a country Hitler invaded at some point, even if the whole world knows Poland was invaded in 1939, not 1941. Just name a Kellogg's product, even a non frozen one like Pop-Tarts.

But her story about the Detroit Pistons reminded me of this ditty by Tim Cavanagh
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZlD9VByMU
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm

No chance for me on FJ. Morbeedo's TD414 was no help and I couldn't work in my default reply of Meryl Streep.
why would the losing player bet anything but all in? a zero wager does nothing as her cover total is above his 0 zero wager...is he really going to bet small? so she basically left 5999 on the table in the even the dude wagered 0 she is above that laying up wager...let's say he did wager small and got it right hoping she would miss and wager enough to win by 1 buck on a 0 zero wager, what does that do for 2nd place? he is leaving money on the table as well
I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm with twelvefootboy; you must be really fun at parties.
i don't do parties...i hate being around people...i am misanthropic...can't you tell by my name?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,000
48 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speedo, Malaysia, inquisitiveness, Camille Saint-Saens

This FJ! says a lot about the waning cultural relevance of the Oscars. I'd guess that the majority of the home audience, like several posters so far in this thread, are not familiar with Spotlight. Were it not for the Best Picture announcement botch, it's likely that even fewer would be familiar with Moonlight. Not that any of that matters here. Prospective J! contestants/trivia nerds ought to be familiar with Best Picture winners, particularly those in the recent past.

My wife used to do custom framing. She and a coworker referred to Mssr. Kinkade as the Painter of Shite.

Totally blank moment of the night: could not remember Aveeno for the life of me.

The final clue in DJ! was strange. I thought for sure they'd ask the contestants to identify the flag of Barbados. Instead, they asked what country Barbados gained its independence from. Really? For $2000?
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Euphonium wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?
never heard of him
Sorta surprised by this given that his most well-known work is entitled Danse Macabre.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am Coryat: 41,000
48 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speedo, Malaysia, inquisitiveness, Camille Saint-Saens

This FJ! says a lot about the waning cultural relevance of the Oscars. I'd guess that the majority of the home audience, like several posters so far in this thread, are not familiar with Spotlight. Were it not for the Best Picture announcement botch, it's likely that even fewer would be familiar with Moonlight. Not that any of that matters here. Prospective J! contestants/trivia nerds ought to be familiar with Best Picture winners, particularly those in the recent past.

My wife used to do custom framing. She and a coworker referred to Mssr. Kinkade as the Painter of Shite.

Totally blank moment of the night: could not remember Aveeno for the life of me.

The final clue in DJ! was strange. I thought for sure they'd ask the contestants to identify the flag of Barbados. Instead, they asked what country Barbados gained its independence from. Really? For $2000?
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Euphonium wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm How was Saint-Saens a triple-stumper when they give you French and "Saint"?
never heard of him
Sorta surprised by this given that his most well-known work is entitled Danse Macabre.
heard of the work, but know nothing about it