Monday, April 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:47 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:08 am
What a brilliantly, beautifully constructed FJ! clue.
The clue:
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1947 collection he solved 12 mysteries, including “The Cretan Bull” & “The Girdle of Hyppolita”

I'm not a big fan of the clue, mainly the word "collection". Was it a compilation of previous years of work? Did Christie (J! Pavlov) write 12 books in a year? 12 chapters? How do we know the "he" was contemporary to 1947? Were the titles metaphors, or the actual 12 Labors?
This seems like overthinking to me. The majority of FJ!s can be solved by figuring out what the TOM is and why the writers would have included it. Here, if you realize that those are labors of Hercules, the question is, what fictional mystery-solver has a connection to Hercules?
Or just, as some of us have said, What detective character active in 1947 and commonly referenced on J! fits with classical allusions?...even if we didn't quite grasp what the allusions were... :oops: I'm glad I didn't think, The Cretan Bull...that must be a sequel to The Maltese Falcon!... :roll:
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:14 pm Did that question about the heart really require a 4-part response, i.e. RA, LA, RV, LV? What a mouthful!
I was thinking the same, and it made me curious about other clues that have also required a lengthy list in the response (eg. "These five continents...", "These eight elements...") Any takers on doing that research?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:14 pm Did that question about the heart really require a 4-part response, i.e. RA, LA, RV, LV? What a mouthful!
I was thinking the same, and it made me curious about other clues that have also required a lengthy list in the response (eg. "These five continents...", "These eight elements...") Any takers on doing that research?
The most items required for a correct response that I could find was for a Daily Double in this game that asked for "the only letters of the alphabet used to name notes in current Western musical notation".
Spoiler
What are A, B, C, D, E, F and G? (I suppose one could shorten it to just "What are A through G?".)
Aside from that, the longest list needed also came in a Daily Double (in this game) that asked for the states that make up New England (the exact number wasn't given in the clue; the contestant stopped short at five but may have been able to complete the set had he known there were six).
Spoiler
What are Connecticut, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island?