Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:11 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 pm
JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
joan kenmore is still alive...technically munchins should not have even been accepted...she played a munchkin in the film when she was 6...she wasn't a "little person", but played a munchkin....technically...they should have only accepted "member of the lollipop guild"
It said Maren "lived to the greatest age," not that he was the last to die. Of course, as long as Kenmore is alive, she could theoretically break the record someday, but until that happens, Maren can claim the title.
i stand corrected, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am
In three games James seems to be very good on the buzzer and material. His DD strategy is paying off big time. I have not seen greatness yet, so James is more Austin Rogers than Ken Jennings at this point.
What would James need to do for you to see greatness? His average Coryat is $25,000. While Austin was an outstanding player, he didn't have a single game with a Coryat that high; Austin's average Coryat in regular play was $18,185. When you combine that with James being 8 for 8 on the big clues and averaging over $9,000 on his 5 DD's . . . we have a Bugatti firing on all cylinders. Knowledge base, buzzer timing, strategy, and composure . . . he has it all. The computer simulation on the "The Jeopardy! Fan" site has his average streak going for 22 wins. Obviously the games are played on the field, but that's astonishing. As Austin Powers observed, we are watching a special player.
There is not much difference between very good and greatness.

In my thinking imagine there is a straight line with Austin Rogers on the left and Ken Jennings on the right. Plenty of other super champs are on the line somewhere as well. In the middle is a dividing line. At this point I have James left of the middle line. To see greatness? I needed to see James more dominant in game 2. He was only four clues better than Satish. Whether buzzer or knowledge (or a little of both), James was no Ken Jennings.

This is where comparisons can be difficult as we don't know if Ken dominated because he had weaker opponents or because he was so masterful on the buzzer coupled with a higher count of clues known out of 60. Did Alex, Satish, and Matthew do well against James because they were just that good or does James leave openings for competitors by being a hair short on buzzer or clues known per game?

Daily Doubles can be dazzling and James is proving he knows how to make use of of them better than only a handful of players. That is greatness and I won't argue.

What I am looking for is perhaps a higher count on clues right. James is 31+22+30=83 while for one comparison is Ken Jennings at 27+33+36=96. They both know lots of stuff. For buzzer work has James run anything other than BALLPARK CUISINE? Ken must have had multiple category runs by three games.

James could be a game (or this week at most) from erasing any doubts I have about him. Hints are there in official J! promos that something is happening this week. All of this is only after three games so time for opinions to vary.

At this point I need a little more convincing beyond the big clues as those 12 clues have not really been at a difficulty level to prove anything other then DD3 on Friday for the college name.

No matter what James makes watching J! more exciting and across message boards it's obvious how much he adds to viewer interest.
which i don't get...the show has been on for 35 seasons...i am sure every contestant has watched a plethora of episodes, but yet the majority are so passive when it comes to daily doubles and searching for them....still befuddles me how they can't grasp the concept of taking the chance of daily doubles away from the opponents and in the event of finding them they do not wager optimally...that woman today was annoying with her going to the top boxes when getting clues correct...her crap strat helped the champion retain his title and pad his winnings
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

I have a feeling things are going to get interesting around here over the next few days/weeks, and not really in a good way.

I think this weird, old thread is about to become relevant again:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5006
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I was very tempted to answer "The Lollipop Guild" but thought better of it and went with the more widely reported news headline variant
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm Ken must have had multiple category runs by three games.
Through 3 games, Ken had 3 runs (all in Game 3).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

SteelyPat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 pm I have a feeling things are going to get interesting around here over the next few days/weeks, and not really in a good way.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5006
Jeez, did you even bother to read to the end of the thread you cite to? If you had, you would have known that the wager referred to in that thread happened prior to January, which was well before James's tape dates. It's annoying how some people are using the most ridiculous excuses to throw shade at a player who's performing at the level of the all-time greats.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 pm
SteelyPat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 pm I have a feeling things are going to get interesting around here over the next few days/weeks, and not really in a good way.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5006
Jeez, did you even bother to read to the end of the thread you cite to? If you had, you would have known that the wager referred to in that thread happened prior to January, which was well before James's tape dates. It's annoying how some people are using the most ridiculous excuses to throw shade at a player who's performing at the level of the all-time greats.
Oh. Well that's good.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm Ken must have had multiple category runs by three games.
Obviously, James's extreme bouncing doesn't lend itself to running categories. (And if he did run a category, would anyone even notice it if his 5th correct response came like 14 clues after his 4th?) I'm not sure of the utility or necessity of using category running as a metric for buzzer mastery anyway. TJF has James getting in first on the buzzer 44.71% of the time so far. (I don't know what the numbers for KJ were.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 pm
Obviously, James's extreme bouncing doesn't lend itself to running categories. (And if he did run a category, would anyone even notice it if his 5th correct response came like 14 clues after his 4th?) I'm not sure of the utility or necessity of using category running as a metric for buzzer mastery anyway. TJF has James getting in first on the buzzer 44.71% of the time so far. (I don't know what the numbers for KJ were.)
https://thejeopardyfan.com/statistics/k ... statistics

In his first 3 games, Ken's first-ins were: 47.37, 56.14, 57.89 (overall through his run was 61.45).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Just for perspective, there were multiple detours on this FJ, and I took a couple of them.

What is "the" Chinese Theater? The famous one with the messed up sidewalk? Is this person in movies or theater?

OK, must be movies. What is a grouping of movie people? They don't live or die in groups? Must be the blacklist, Hollywood Seven(? - revealed as Ten here). No that 1950's, nevermind.

Finally went to the Pavlov movies and quickly picked Munchkins.

All these debates about James' greatness are like breaking news to me - I never follow it because half of it needs to be forgotten by the time the dust settles :lol: . I'm not enjoying watching ass-whuppin's, and really don't like figuring out the categories from the bottom row. If he's run any categories, we don't know it, and it takes some of the awe-factor out of the script.

I join the facepalm club on the PAT. In spite of the fact this is one of my favorite NFL tweaks. It's just an execution thing - I know the new kick is 32 yards (which is the end of my range with my George Blanda technique, lol) but never did the math of 32 - 7 - 10. I actually was trying to remember where the spot is for a free kick after the safety but would have Clammed.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 pm that woman pretty much gave the game to the champion by continuously going for the top boxes when she had control...shouldn't it be clear that you want to take the daily doubles away from the person in the lead?
"that woman"!! (but you're right, I groaned when she called the first category in Double Jeopardy. Maryanne didn't come to win, but she did get FJ right!)

Alex is impressed by James, but he's clearly not a fan of the interesting wagers and ad nauseam shout-outs (in response to an earlier post, I don't think they're going to end)

I ran out of time with "Wizard of Oz cast" and thought, that can't be right. I'm sure the judges would have ruled against me

Another NYC clue missed! I blurted out RFK for the bridge named after a NYC governor :oops:

DDs can be tricky, but these 3 were gimmes

James blew right past the $100K mark in 3 games. No chance for Alex to ask, "Is he going to get to $100K today?"
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm very interested to see how far James can take this. It's just a damn shame I'm no longer able to watch the show like I have been able to up until a couple weeks ago, because watching him could have been fun.

I hope he wins that $80,000 I was hoping for sometime this week.
Last edited by JayK33 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 pm
https://thejeopardyfan.com/statistics/k ... statistics

In his first 3 games, Ken's first-ins were: 47.37, 56.14, 57.89 (overall through his run was 61.45).
There's a complication when comparing more-recent players' buzzer stats to Ken. After Ken's run, didn't TPTB make some changes such as in pre-game practices to lessen returning champions' advantage on the signaling device? And I do think James has had a strong opponent in each of his games so far.

Based on what I've seen to this point, when considering all aspects of gameplay, I would place James a notch below Ken - which is still good enough IMO to qualify as historically great.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:16 pmWhat is "the" Chinese Theater? The famous one with the messed up sidewalk?
Just for the record, the signatures/footprints/etc. are technically a courtyard, not a sidewalk. (I just saw "Shazam!" at that theater on Friday.)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

JayK33 wrote: I hope he wins that $80,000 I was hoping for sometime this week.
Well, if he keeps getting these pushover FJ clues, at some point he may be tempted to go Clavin on one. I think he'll at least wait until after he has five wins though.
Roger Craig is glad he didn't know how easy the clue was going to be (second time in three games).
Also, he could have padded his final score by $12,000 if he'd known Mathew was going to only wager to shut out Marryanne.

Count me as thinking this FJ was too easy.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

James's run so far has reminded me of the Vosbergh era of Jeopardy!, and I love the relative lack of Lach trash. James is not only on pace to smash Austin Rodgers's record for most money won in the first five games, but he's also on pace to break Vosbergh benefactor Frank Spangenberg's record for first 5 ADJ. James may not be an all-time great buzzer, but his ability to keep the Lach trash down to where it was in the Vosbergh era when the questions were deliberately easier shows his depth of knowledge.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am James's run so far has reminded me of the Vosbergh era of Jeopardy!, and I love the relative lack of Lach trash. James is not only on pace to smash Austin Rodgers's record for most money won in the first five games, but he's also on pace to break Vosbergh benefactor Frank Spangenberg's record for first 5 ADJ. James may not be an all-time great buzzer, but his ability to keep the Lach trash down to where it was in the Vosbergh era when the questions were deliberately easier shows his depth of knowledge.
Roger Craig holds the record for most money won in the first 5 games with 195,801. Austin is 2nd in the unadjusted totals with 188,700. Of course, James is still on pace to break the record regardless.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Regarding the Carol Kaye category: Kaye did play bass on a large number of 1960s pop hits, but she is also notorious for claiming credit for songs that she did not perform on. However she has never claimed to have been the bass player on Good Vibrations. I think the clue writers got lazy and assumed that she played on any prominent 1960s Beach Boys song.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

harrumph wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 am Regarding the Carol Kaye category: Kaye did play bass on a large number of 1960s pop hits, but she is also notorious for claiming credit for songs that she did not perform on. However she has never claimed to have been the bass player on Good Vibrations. I think the clue writers got lazy and assumed that she played on any prominent 1960s Beach Boys song.
never heard of her before...she should do some bass lines on some future cannibal corpse songs
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

ChexMix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am James's run so far has reminded me of the Vosbergh era of Jeopardy!, and I love the relative lack of Lach trash. James is not only on pace to smash Austin Rodgers's record for most money won in the first five games, but he's also on pace to break Vosbergh benefactor Frank Spangenberg's record for first 5 ADJ. James may not be an all-time great buzzer, but his ability to keep the Lach trash down to where it was in the Vosbergh era when the questions were deliberately easier shows his depth of knowledge.
Roger Craig holds the record for most money won in the first 5 games with 195,801. Austin is 2nd in the unadjusted totals with 188,700. Of course, James is still on pace to break the record regardless.
I'm not sure how I sorted Keith's table incorrectly, but you're right. Sorry, Roger. I didn't mean to overlook you.