Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RKane »

On the one hand, another impressive win from a great contestant who I like a lot.

On the other hand, how exactly does a professional sports gambler not get that softball football question???
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My wife and I both independently guessed the Rat Pack. I realize now that the date was way too early for that though.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 pm
JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
The judges and Alex would not appreciate a trouble-making response like that one. It's fine to give yourself a correct for the weekly poll. If you had been on the stage you do not want to give the powers a chance to neg you. I don't care enough to figure out if someone else from the complete cast lived to a greater age.
I came here to ask that question. During FJ, I spent a few moments being genuinely confused as to whether they wanted "Munchkins" or "Cast of The Wizard of Oz". I decided to go with the former partly because it's a shorter response. And as you correctly point out, determining whether someone is the longest-lived Munchkin is easier than determining whether they're the longest-lived of all cast members. However, I genuinely spent a few moments thinking that maybe "Wizard of Oz Cast" was intended, and I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

RKane wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm On the one hand, another impressive win from a great contestant who I like a lot.

On the other hand, how exactly does a professional sports gambler not get that softball football question???
I clammed on that one myself even being about 90% sure because I knew they had changed the location for kickoffs and I was trying to work through that.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

trying to figure out how a sports gambler missed the extra point clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

that woman pretty much gave the game to the champion by continuously going for the top boxes when she had control...shouldn't it be clear that you want to take the daily doubles away from the person in the lead?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget final jeopardy when i saw the year 1939...without the year not sure if i would have got it...interesting fact...probably one of the few people in this country that has never seen that people...one of my proud non sheep accomplishments...1st being having never been to new york city
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am If I was in James's shoes I would be kicking myself over not knowing the NFL kick moved back to the 15-yard line more than being excited over the big win on day 3.

Matthew made a good showing (nice all-in on DD1) through 59 clues, but there was no overcoming James making huge gains on DD2 and DD3. Matthew was fortunate that Maryanne could do nothing to take the $2K for second place.

In three games James seems to be very good on the buzzer and material. His DD strategy is paying off big time. I have not seen greatness yet, so James is more Austin Rogers than Ken Jennings at this point.

The FJ! clue is one where I was tempted to go the more specific route while I went for the expected simpler response on paper. The clue could have been "Maren group" and I would have had it right.

Does James has a date and shout out planned for each day?
totally agree...he should surrender his "crown" for that blunder seeing he follows sports for a living
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am
In three games James seems to be very good on the buzzer and material. His DD strategy is paying off big time. I have not seen greatness yet, so James is more Austin Rogers than Ken Jennings at this point.
What would James need to do for you to see greatness? His average Coryat is $25,000. While Austin was an outstanding player, he didn't have a single game with a Coryat that high; Austin's average Coryat in regular play was $18,185. When you combine that with James being 8 for 8 on the big clues and averaging over $9,000 on his 5 DD's . . . we have a Bugatti firing on all cylinders. Knowledge base, buzzer timing, strategy, and composure . . . he has it all. The computer simulation on the "The Jeopardy! Fan" site has his average streak going for 22 wins. Obviously the games are played on the field, but that's astonishing. As Austin Powers observed, we are watching a special player.

I accidentally fast-forwarded my DVR too much during the pre-FJ commercial break, to the point where I saw "Who are the Munchkins" on one contestant's podium before I saw the clue. So I was spoiled. I have a hard time believing I wouldn't have gotten this one, but I'll never know for sure.

ETA: it was reported on reddit that
Spoiler
at least one station ran a teaser before today's game stating that "this week on Jeopardy!, history will be made."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

For lack of a better answer, I said "Algonquin Roundtable" on FJ. I now realize that group had broken up well before '39.

As for James, I think an average Coryatt score of $25,000 speaks for itself.
Last edited by thenextofken on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
joan kenmore is still alive...technically munchins should not have even been accepted...she played a munchkin in the film when she was 6...she wasn't a "little person", but played a munchkin....technically...they should have only accepted "member of the lollipop guild"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 pmthe Rat Pack ... way too early
Yeah, the Rat Pack didn't exist in 1939.

The '60s (i.e., post-Bogart) Rat Pack is another limited set with manageable memorizability: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My mind works in strange ways sometimes :?
I did not make the 1939 = Wizard of Oz connection, but went back to the Big Broadcast movies of the era. How I got them I'll never know. :?:
At this point in Austin's run, I remember not being impressed by the level of competition. Can't complain about James's opponents. 8-)
davey

Post by davey »

skullturf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 pm
The judges and Alex would not appreciate a trouble-making response like that one. It's fine to give yourself a correct for the weekly poll. If you had been on the stage you do not want to give the powers a chance to neg you. I don't care enough to figure out if someone else from the complete cast lived to a greater age.
I came here to ask that question. During FJ, I spent a few moments being genuinely confused as to whether they wanted "Munchkins" or "Cast of The Wizard of Oz". I decided to go with the former partly because it's a shorter response. And as you correctly point out, determining whether someone is the longest-lived Munchkin is easier than determining whether they're the longest-lived of all cast members. However, I genuinely spent a few moments thinking that maybe "Wizard of Oz Cast" was intended, and I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything.
I think they would have referred to cast member in the clue if that had been intended. The word "group" suggests something else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Add me to the instaget on FJ. Yeah, the FJs so far have been lay-ups, but he has exhibited a very deep knowledge base.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

The game was over, honestly, after that $10,000 Daily Double.

Strongest category for me tonight was Who's On TV?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

StevenH wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 pm I think that the Sameer Rai who James plays tomorrow is the same Sameer Rai who was considered to be the best high school quiz bowl player in the country during his junior year.
It is. He also got a 108 on last year's (and 2017's) WQC, which is insane. Interestingly, I think I was the only other person to get the exact same score both years... but mine was 27 points lower.
Hoping for a third lap
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sarisson wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm
StevenH wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 pm I think that the Sameer Rai who James plays tomorrow is the same Sameer Rai who was considered to be the best high school quiz bowl player in the country during his junior year.
It is. He also got a 108 on last year's (and 2017's) WQC, which is insane. Interestingly, I think I was the only other person to get the exact same score both years... but mine was 27 points lower.
call you the khristopher davis of quizzing...finished with a batting average of .247 4 years in a row
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 pm
joan kenmore is still alive...technically munchins should not have even been accepted...she played a munchkin in the film when she was 6...she wasn't a "little person", but played a munchkin....technically...they should have only accepted "member of the lollipop guild"
It said Maren "lived to the greatest age," not that he was the last to die. Of course, as long as Kenmore is alive, she could theoretically break the record someday, but until that happens, Maren can claim the title.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am
What would James need to do for you to see greatness? His average Coryat is $25,000. While Austin was an outstanding player, he didn't have a single game with a Coryat that high; Austin's average Coryat in regular play was $18,185. When you combine that with James being 8 for 8 on the big clues and averaging over $9,000 on his 5 DD's . . . we have a Bugatti firing on all cylinders. Knowledge base, buzzer timing, strategy, and composure . . . he has it all. The computer simulation on the "The Jeopardy! Fan" site has his average streak going for 22 wins. Obviously the games are played on the field, but that's astonishing. As Austin Powers observed, we are watching a special player.
There is not much difference between very good and greatness.

In my thinking imagine there is a straight line with Austin Rogers on the left and Ken Jennings on the right. Plenty of other super champs are on the line somewhere as well. In the middle is a dividing line. At this point I have James left of the middle line. To see greatness? I needed to see James more dominant in game 2. He was only four clues better than Satish. Whether buzzer or knowledge (or a little of both), James was no Ken Jennings.

This is where comparisons can be difficult as we don't know if Ken dominated because he had weaker opponents or because he was so masterful on the buzzer coupled with a higher count of clues known out of 60. Did Alex, Satish, and Matthew do well against James because they were just that good or does James leave openings for competitors by being a hair short on buzzer or clues known per game?

Daily Doubles can be dazzling and James is proving he knows how to make use of of them better than only a handful of players. That is greatness and I won't argue.

What I am looking for is perhaps a higher count on clues right. James is 31+22+30=83 while for one comparison is Ken Jennings at 27+33+36=96. They both know lots of stuff. For buzzer work has James run anything other than BALLPARK CUISINE? Ken must have had multiple category runs by three games.

James could be a game (or this week at most) from erasing any doubts I have about him. Hints are there in official J! promos that something is happening this week. All of this is only after three games so time for opinions to vary.

At this point I need a little more convincing beyond the big clues as those 12 clues have not really been at a difficulty level to prove anything other then DD3 on Friday for the college name.

No matter what James makes watching J! more exciting and across message boards it's obvious how much he adds to viewer interest.