Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 9, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 9, 2019

Post by MattKnowles »

I got 40 right. Maybe a few less for spelling. I'll take the test officially on Thursday since I won't have to rush home from work.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Got 45. Missed 11,17,23,26 (RTFQ) and 50. I hope the other two are this easy.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

also 45. missed billions, couldn't come up with solicitor in time, kirov for bolshoi, bad miss, heinlein for dick, though i knew this and came up with it seconds too late, and had ajax for achilles. i was writing these down in a noisy room instead of typing as is usual, and it felt way more harried. might have come up with a couple more in the more relaxed ordinary fashion. will take thursday for real as i am back out of the pool.
bananfish
Contributor

Post by bananfish »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 pm ...I did type out Achilles, then saw king, erased it and put Agamemnon in...
That is almost exactly what I did ... except after erasing Achilles, I ended up with only enough time to get out "Agam".
bananfish
Contributor

Post by bananfish »

I missed 4 of the first 7 and started to panic, but then got the next 15 in a row. I think I ended up with 40, if just "William" is good enough for "William the Conqueror."

Misses:
Dumas ... just would not come to me and I ended up putting in Hugo even though I knew it was wrong
Red Dead Redemption ... did not know it at all
Columbia ... I put in a complete guess with Colorado
Rossini ... Puccini jumped into my mind and would not jump out no matter how hard I tried, I put in Ravel in desperation
O. Henry ... thought of it with a second to go and only got in the "O"
Antarctica ... in retrospect should have got this one, but got time pressured to put something in and tried Africa
Pavarotti ... I put in Domingo, pretty sure there was a better answer, but could not think of Pavarotti
Dreamworks ... would have got it on a multiple choice, but that name was just not going to come to me on its own
Achilles ... I put in Achilles, saw "king" in the clue, and tried to change to Agamemnon but only got in the "Agam"
bankroll ... just a complete whiff ... I think I put in something like "invest"
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

more difficult than the florida one from the other week...got 30 correct
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

lillypie82 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 pm Huh... I thought the test seemed really hard but when I counted up my answers I ended up around 30 which is about how I usually do.
me too...what i thought were guesses were actually correct...figured i was getting around 20 correct
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

42, my worst miss being Hugo for Dumas, next worst was startup for bankroll, while my best miss was Standard for Chevron. Red Dead Redemption was a no-chancer, so was Billions, and Dick, Wicked, and DreamWorks would all have been lucky guesses had I made them.

I took the test for real, having found myself inside a *$ with decent wifi as 8pm Eastern loomed. I even studied for about ten minutes, and I probably can thank that for my Gambino get. I definitely was anxious that my laptop would fail, as I can seldom get through a Sporcle quiz without the page resetting midway. That is why, contrary to my usual practice, I clicked "next" at numerous points to speed things along.

On the whole, the night was a triumph, though I fear it is bound to remain overshadowed coming when it did.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

45. I didn't get the Astoria river (it made me think New York, I said Hudson), what the British call lawyers (I said "barrister," knowing it didn't really jibe with the American definition given), Philip K. Dick (didn't know, guessed Stephen King), East River (I read the clue and realized I was screwed on my earlier Hudson response, said Hudson again for good measure), and impeachment (totally blanked when reading the clue).

My BEFORE & AFTER get is debatable; I played off the video at 2x speed and skipped forward 10 (in-video) seconds whenever I had a response and enough time before the next clue, and I ended up having to pause the B&A clue because I got thrown trying to couple Big Mac and Big Easy, so I'm not sure whether I actually figured it out in time.

Related to my accelerated viewing, I said Puccini on William Tell, skipped forward and immediately corrected myself. Had I been typing my responses I wouldn't have been so hasty as to jump forward with my incorrect response (for all I know, I wouldn't have even finished typing before I corrected myself).
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

42/50. Seemed hard.

(41 if they didn't count O'Henry. Apostrophe? What the hell was I thinking?)
Last edited by BRD-98 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm What was the category name for
Spoiler
extremity
? I thought it said it was supposed to have two xs.
That's what it was....????
Extremity
Second letter is X
earendel

Post by earendel »

This is probably the worst I've done since the online test started. Only 38 out of 50.
Misses: 6 (put Mackenzie), 7 (no clue), 10 (put Shell), 11 (no clue), 14 (no clue), 15 (put Nepal), 17 (no clue), 23 (put Poe), 32 (put Amblin), 46 (put tango), 47 (put genus), 50 (no clue).

One surprising get - I thought Hugo wrote "The Count of Monte Cristo" and expected it to be wrong, only to find out it was right (although I didn't include "pere").
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 am Got 45. Missed 11,17,23,26 (RTFQ) and 50. I hope the other two are this easy.
“Easy.” Now you’re just trolling :P
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

For what it's worth, I've added "fandango" as an alternate answer to 46 as that appears to fit all three parts of the clue as well as flamenco.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:41 am
Woof wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 am Got 45. Missed 11,17,23,26 (RTFQ) and 50. I hope the other two are this easy.
“Easy.” Now you’re just trolling :P
Sorry. I did feel a tad self-conscious writing that, but it did feel easier to me than most: only 2 pop culture questions and a lot of what I’d call standard trivia fare.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I ended up with 49 (Heinlein for PKD), but I think I lucked out on some 50/50 calls and pulled a couple of answers with very little time to spare.

Wasn't too confident on Columbia, Bolshoi, O Henry, or China. Pulled Rossini after erasing Puccini, stalled on Pavarotti for about 10 seconds, and had to cycle through synonyms like 'juvenile' and 'young' for a while before hitting on Childish Gambino.

A lot of correct answers on a test that I would never have 'won' on the show.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

earendel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 am This is probably the worst I've done since the online test started. Only 38 out of 50.

One surprising get - I thought Hugo wrote "The Count of Monte Cristo" and expected it to be wrong, only to find out it was right (although I didn't include "pere").
Agreed on degree of difficulty. 37 here.

Umm. Interesting spelling of "Dumas". (I did include "pere".)
OCSam
Leander

Post by Leander »

Playing for fun, 44, would have been 45 if I didn’t dither over O Henry. Probably my best ever. Missed the video game, Dick, halogen class and Glover, plus too slow on O Henry. Guess I should have taken it for real.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 am
earendel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 am One surprising get - I thought Hugo wrote "The Count of Monte Cristo" and expected it to be wrong, only to find out it was right (although I didn't include "pere").
I can never remember who's the père and who's the fils, but they never ask for a BMS on the show*

This is the last book I read in French. It's a great book, but about 200 pages too long IMO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Dumas fils is known for La Dame aux Camélias, the source for La Traviata
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 am
earendel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 am One surprising get - I thought Hugo wrote "The Count of Monte Cristo" and expected it to be wrong, only to find out it was right (although I didn't include "pere").
I can never remember who's the père and who's the fils, but they never ask for a BMS on the show*

This is the last book I read in French. It's a great book, but about 200 pages too long IMO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Dumas fils is known for La Dame aux Camélias, the source for La Traviata
Let's all go down to Dumas Walker.