Wednesday, April 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:32 am And the phony controversy about the unauthorized third-party "King James Holzhauer" fan page can finally be laid to rest.

Again, obvious from the start. In fairness I knew more about the situation. Still, come on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have no idea why someone couldn't exit the Massachusetts Turnpike and then drive to Wooster, Ohio. It's enough to make me think taillight was spelled incorrectly. :twisted:
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 am It would be sad if that FJ! clue did not go 2/2. Come on writers, really?
It was pretty poor. Essentially "name the last ruling family of the Russian Empire."

I would have said "Monitor and Virginia" for the ironclads clue. I'm sure there are other pedants out there who would have done the same. :D
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 am It didn't end up changing the outcome of the game, Laura's DD wager is a perfect illustration of the fact that on J!, fortune favors the bold. When she hit DD3, she was down $28,400 to $12,000. Knowing what James had already done, she had to know that by far her best shot of winning was to try to go into FJ! with the lead. However, instead of maximizing the chances of that happening by actually putting the hammer down, she went with a sorta-big wager of $7,000.
Yes, up until that moment I thought this may be the day that James loses. Laura was almost as quick on the buzzer and had a decent knowledge base and with a little bit of luck things could have ended differently. But the DD was definitely an all-in situation and when she held back I gave up hope. (Not that I want to see James lose yet).
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am In fairness I knew more about the situation.
Don't be coy. Tell us more!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bengland wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am
Austin Powers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am In fairness I knew more about the situation.
The total tonnage of what he know that we don't could stun a team of oxen in its tracks.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:32 am And the phony controversy about the unauthorized third-party "King James Holzhauer" fan page can finally be laid to rest.

Again, obvious from the start. In fairness I knew more about the situation. Still, come on.
Well, I'm glad he clarified, but it was not obvious to me that he wasn't involved with the website. I consider myself to be pretty objective and open-minded, and I had no prior knowledge about JH. I thought the comments online were a bit harsh and unfair, but I still can't understand why someone unknown to JH would want to make such a site.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

My favorite theory was that I did the website. That one made me chuckle.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I remembered James from the Chase but i didn't recall his dominance, check it out
I prefer close competitive games but I believe he is deserving of his wins even though some answers were easier than the last two tests IMO.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:11 pm
My favorite theory was that I did the website. That one made me chuckle.
Maybe it was Roger Craig? Nah, Roger would have produced a much nicer site. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So someone denying something on Facebook is proof positive? (This is not a comment on whether he was involved or not.)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm Maybe it was Roger Craig? Nah, Roger would have produced a much nicer site. :D
OTH, I limped through making a Geocities site when I was younger. Today I have trouble making text bold[/]
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm Even with a couple stumbles, he was still unstoppable.

====

I can never remember which is VT and which is NH,

For me, an easy way to remember which is which: Vermont is somewhat V-shaped, while New Hampshire is not.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm So someone denying something on Facebook is proof positive? (This is not a comment on whether he was involved or not.)
Also, "authored by me" =/= "affiliated with me/known to me," which I think is the more interesting question here. If it's not him or someone known to him, who is it, exactly? I'm raising a very high eyebrow at everyone clapping their hands and going, "Well, that solves it!", as if it makes perfect sense that someone among the 100-200 folks who accidentally stumbled across this guy at a taping would be inspired to register a domain in his name for 10 years, make sure their own identity is cloaked, give 0 indication of why this champ sparked their fancy so (no "Hi! I'm John! As a professional gambler myself, I was instantly struck by one of our own made good..."), and devotedly update it day by day. What is the end goal here? What is this person personally getting out of this activity?

This is weird behavior no matter how you read it, and y'all are being weird in shrugging it off.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"My facebook page is the only web site about me that I made" is the J!-world equivalent of the president saying "the Mueller Report completely exonerates me". Somebody made the page after obtaining inside information, most likely second- or third-hand, since the initial draft of the page had the detail wrong of when James would set a record. There's evident love put into the page--it's not simply slapped together--so whoever did it is obviously not a complete stranger to the contestant with no vested interest in James receiving publicity. And whoever maintains it has updated it repeatedly in response to criticism--first for the spoilers, second for the pictures, third for calling the defeated challengers "The Humbled" (now they're "The Hopeful" or "Worthy Adversaries"), so whoever it is, is at least making an afford to address online remarks for James's benefit (i.e., so as not to make James seem like a jerk). Those who know more but decline to disclose can perversely revel, which is fine, but they can't dust off their hands with a facebook post and say, "See? Mystery solved!"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm Another ho-hum performance by James. :D He's been so phenomenal that a $54,000-plus payday seems like nothing special for him. I do suspect that he'll be the player to break the curse of top winners not winning their TOC's. He combines being the top winner with the style of play that enabled Roger Craig and Alex Jacob to knock off higher seeds in their TOC's. It also seems clear that he's equipped to handle the jump in difficulty of material that the TOC will present. But it'll be very interesting to see it all play out, because the other members of the field will know what they're up against and will have had ample time to prepare.

ETA: on the Argonauts clue, the rest of the clue led me to Argonauts but I was hesitant to ring in bc I hadn't heard of an a sea creature with that name.

Is James the first contestant to have runaways in 4 of his or her first 5 games? Even Ken "only" had 3.
I agree that James has settled all question of whether he deserves to be ranked among the greatest of the superchamps. My question, for those of you know who keep track of such things, is how does James's average Coryat compare to the best ever?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:30 pm "My facebook page is the only web site about me that I made" is the J!-world equivalent of the president saying "the Mueller Report completely exonerates me". Somebody made the page after obtaining inside information, most likely second- or third-hand, since the initial draft of the page had the detail wrong of when James would set a record. There's evident love put into the page--it's not simply slapped together--so whoever did it is obviously not a complete stranger to the contestant with no vested interest in James receiving publicity. And whoever maintains it has updated it repeatedly in response to criticism--first for the spoilers, second for the pictures, third for calling the defeated challengers "The Humbled" (now they're "The Hopeful" or "Worthy Adversaries"), so whoever it is, is at least making an afford to address online remarks for James's benefit (i.e., so as not to make James seem like a jerk). Those who know more but decline to disclose can perversely revel, which is fine, but they can't dust off their hands with a facebook post and say, "See? Mystery solved!"
If it is determined that Holzhauer did indeed create the site his status for the TOC will come into serious doubt.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:39 pm If it is determined that Holzhauer did indeed create the site his status for the TOC will come into serious doubt.
I think this is very doubtful. James is going to be a popular champ who may be one of the greatest players ever. It's going to take something a whole lot more egregious than that to keep him out of the TOC.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

harrumph wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:39 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:30 pm "My facebook page is the only web site about me that I made" is the J!-world equivalent of the president saying "the Mueller Report completely exonerates me". Somebody made the page after obtaining inside information, most likely second- or third-hand, since the initial draft of the page had the detail wrong of when James would set a record. There's evident love put into the page--it's not simply slapped together--so whoever did it is obviously not a complete stranger to the contestant with no vested interest in James receiving publicity. And whoever maintains it has updated it repeatedly in response to criticism--first for the spoilers, second for the pictures, third for calling the defeated challengers "The Humbled" (now they're "The Hopeful" or "Worthy Adversaries"), so whoever it is, is at least making an afford to address online remarks for James's benefit (i.e., so as not to make James seem like a jerk). Those who know more but decline to disclose can perversely revel, which is fine, but they can't dust off their hands with a facebook post and say, "See? Mystery solved!"
If it is determined that Holzhauer did indeed create the site his status for the TOC will come into serious doubt.
I will acknowledge that that's what his haters were wishing for.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm So someone denying something on Facebook is proof positive? (This is not a comment on whether he was involved or not.)
Also, "authored by me" =/= "affiliated with me/known to me," which I think is the more interesting question here. If it's not him or someone known to him, who is it, exactly? I'm raising a very high eyebrow at everyone clapping their hands and going, "Well, that solves it!", as if it makes perfect sense that someone among the 100-200 folks who accidentally stumbled across this guy at a taping would be inspired to register a domain in his name for 10 years, make sure their own identity is cloaked, give 0 indication of why this champ sparked their fancy so (no "Hi! I'm John! As a professional gambler myself, I was instantly struck by one of our own made good..."), and devotedly update it day by day. What is the end goal here? What is this person personally getting out of this activity?

This is weird behavior no matter how you read it, and y'all are being weird in shrugging it off.
We habitually offer STRONG OPINIONS about a game show. “Being weird” was a boundary crossed well over a decade ago.