Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

Post by Wpwells »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
All four of those words rhyme.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I got 41. Thoughts on if "Potential Energy" might have been accepted for Entropy? I know Entropy is more correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
You'll never convince me that they do and I will never convince you that they do not.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

It's well established that in the NYC area they are pronounced differently and elsewhere they aren't. This made that question very difficult for us Yankees. I'm surprised a writing staff like Jeopardy's would use a question that completely depends on your accent.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

People keep complaining about technical issues with the test. I hope they don't have to start over with new tests!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am People keep complaining about technical issues with the test. I hope they don't have to start over with new tests!
"Technical issues" with the test happen with some people every year, though.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

I went to the phonetic pronunciations in Webster's 11. (And yes, the dictionary is certainly only one opinion on what is most commonly said in this country, and what else is common enough to include as a second or third option.)
Has only one pronunciation given, and it's [initial letter]er-e with a line over the last "e": scary, sherry, airy, hairy, dairy, fairy
Has that pronunciation, plus one more with same vowel sounds but the syllable break is before the "r": berry, cherry, merry, marry
Has that first pronunciation plus at least one more with a different vowel sound like an "a": Mary, tarry

I assume pretty much every word mentioned here would be in one of those categories. Apparently, in some areas the pronunciations with a different vowel sound are used for more of these words than the dictionary indicates. (I don't see how the syllable break makes a lot of difference.) Not saying anyone is right or wrong in how they say things! Just saying that if this came up for some kind of appeal then the judges would be on solid ground in saying those two words (and many others) can rhyme. Even if they don't in everyone's pronunciations of everything.

On my own for-real test, I thought of "scary" but couldn't think of "sherry" so I wrote something like "scary cherry". Maybe it has enough right letters to fool the computer! Luckily, I think I had a 43 anyway, so that one shouldn't matter.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am People keep complaining about technical issues with the test. I hope they don't have to start over with new tests!
User error then? It seems like @jeopardy has been pretty responsive, but these people only have 1 more chance to get it right

A few years ago, I took the test from a work assignment in Dakar and there was a bit of a hiccup on the first question about Diana Gabaldon, but it didn't matter because I'd never heard of Outlander in April 2015
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am I got 41. Thoughts on if "Potential Energy" might have been accepted for Entropy? I know Entropy is more correct.
Nope. Potential energy can still be used for work, as in a coiled spring.
billiej

Post by billiej »

nserven wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am
VAdame wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 pm Missed:
Kendrick Lamar, said Drake. Hey, Drake, "Duck"worth...makes sense!
I made this exact same mistake, same reasoning.
Add me to that list. Quack!
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am
You'll never convince me that they do and I will never convince you that they do not.
Even though I think they do, it was irrelevant for me because sherry never crossed my mind, and I kept trying to find something to rhyme with port. :oops:
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I was stuck on a last-minute flight during the Eastern test, which is my region. I really wish I had been able to take that one because I choked big time on this test. I normally float around the high-30s and I definitely didn't crack 35 this time. Seemed much more difficult than past years.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'll add to the general consensus that this test was on the difficult side.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am
This must be a genetic variation, sort of like the smell of asparagus in the urine :).
Spoiler
An Ignobel prize awaits the researcher who finds the genes. I would suggest starting in Paris for a heavy population of exacta-genes. This explains why (in the early '80s) I couldn't get directions to the Metro (about a block away), while pounding my finger on a Metro map and repeating "Oo ser troove Le Metro" several times. It was much like the scene with the Pink Panther and the "phoen". Finally the Frenchman says "Le Metroouoou" and helps me out.

What doesn't rhyme, even to an approxi-gene ear, is "angry sangria". :lol:

But, back to the test. I'll be on the bench another year.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am
User error then? It seems like @jeopardy has been pretty responsive, but these people only have 1 more chance to get it right

A few years ago, I took the test from a work assignment in Dakar and there was a bit of a hiccup on the first question about Diana Gabaldon, but it didn't matter because I'd never heard of Outlander in April 2015
I don't know what my "user error" could have been. I logged on and watched the timer tick down to zero before the first question was to be revealed. Except that nothing ever happened. I'm not blaming anyone for this; for all I know my internet provider just stinks or my computer is too old.

In any case, having watched the video of the questions I'm glad I missed it. Although I don't know if I can stay up late enough to take tonight's test.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pmI don't know what my "user error" could have been. I logged on and watched the timer tick down to zero before the first question was to be revealed. Except that nothing ever happened. I'm not blaming anyone for this; for all I know my internet provider just stinks or my computer is too old.

In any case, having watched the video of the questions I'm glad I missed it. Although I don't know if I can stay up late enough to take tonight's test.
Stay up! And good luck! Might be worth writing to [email protected] for advice
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm I was stuck on a last-minute flight during the Eastern test, which is my region. I really wish I had been able to take that one because I choked big time on this test. I normally float around the high-30s and I definitely didn't crack 35 this time. Seemed much more difficult than past years.
Similar situation with different results. I flew back to the East Coast Tuesday, got about 38 on the video test, and got about 43 on this one live. But when your test scores only vary by 4 or 5 questions (as mine do) it's mostly just what questions were good for you that day. From the overall comments people have had, though, it does sounds like this test may have had a few questions with lower correct answer rates than usual.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

45 on Wednesday's test (playing for practice only)
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Exact same score on this one as yesterday's for real test. At least I don't need to regret picking the wrong day. Unless I ace the day 3 test.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am I got 41. Thoughts on if "Potential Energy" might have been accepted for Entropy? I know Entropy is more correct.
Potential energy is wrong.

The wording was:
"Its the measure of energy unavailable for useful work in a system: as it increases the universe is said to be running down"

The second half of the clue definitively points towards entropy, so I'm sure entropy is the intended answer.

However, entropy isn't really "a measure of the energy unavailable for useful work" - though it is related. The "exergy" (an uncommonly used term, Jeopardy would never ask about it) is the amount of energy available for useful work in a system. Thus (internal energy - exergy) = the answer to the first half of the sentence.

Try getting an audition using that answer. :?