Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm
Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am I got 41. Thoughts on if "Potential Energy" might have been accepted for Entropy? I know Entropy is more correct.
Potential energy is wrong.

The wording was:
"Its the measure of energy unavailable for useful work in a system: as it increases the universe is said to be running down"

The second half of the clue definitively points towards entropy, so I'm sure entropy is the intended answer.

However, entropy isn't really "a measure of the energy unavailable for useful work" - though it is related. The "exergy" (an uncommonly used term, Jeopardy would never ask about it) is the amount of energy available for useful work in a system. Thus (internal energy - exergy) = the answer to the first half of the sentence.

Try getting an audition using that answer. :?
I was hoping boson would weigh in on this one! I wandered toward the ultimate heat death of the universe trying to think of the energy term, then I did the mental math of "T delta S" term for the Gibbs free energy and decided, it can't really be entropy as a unit of energy, but everything else is wrong, and entropy is a sexy answer, unit agreement be damned! :D .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Barely squeaked by with 37. Would have done better except for a couple of inexcusable brain farts - added an extra "n" to "buccaneer", which DQ'd the answer given the category (it took me a few seconds to come up with the answer, and then I rushed it...but when the category is "9-letter words" and you give them ten letters...sorry, Charlie). And space-junkie me put "Soyuz" instead of "Sputnik"...1957, bozo. Also had a few coin tosses go bad (Nutcracker over Swan Lake, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof instead of Glass Menagerie, Google over Yahoo), and my spelling Reubens as "Rubin" will not help me either, I fear. With all of that, I am just happy to have passed...now if they will be so kind as to give a slot in Milwaukee to this Wisconsin boy...even though it will in all likelihood be in vain anyhow...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 pm
boson wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm
Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am I got 41. Thoughts on if "Potential Energy" might have been accepted for Entropy? I know Entropy is more correct.
Potential energy is wrong.

The wording was:
"Its the measure of energy unavailable for useful work in a system: as it increases the universe is said to be running down"

The second half of the clue definitively points towards entropy, so I'm sure entropy is the intended answer.

However, entropy isn't really "a measure of the energy unavailable for useful work" - though it is related. The "exergy" (an uncommonly used term, Jeopardy would never ask about it) is the amount of energy available for useful work in a system. Thus (internal energy - exergy) = the answer to the first half of the sentence.

Try getting an audition using that answer. :?
I was hoping boson would weigh in on this one! I wandered toward the ultimate heat death of the universe trying to think of the energy term, then I did the mental math of "T delta S" term for the Gibbs free energy and decided, it can't really be entropy as a unit of energy, but everything else is wrong, and entropy is a sexy answer, unit agreement be damned! :D .
"A measure of the energy..." doesn't necessarily mean the quantity itself has the units of energy, though I can see how one might infer that from the statement. Regardless, the second part of question should leave no doubt in your mind what they were looking for, since it's basically a restatement of the second law of thermodynamics.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AlphaDummy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm Barely squeaked by with 37. Would have done better except for a couple of inexcusable brain farts - added an extra "n" to "buccaneer", which DQ'd the answer given the category (it took me a few seconds to come up with the answer, and then I rushed it...but when the category is "9-letter words" and you give them ten letters...sorry, Charlie).
I'm sure that one will be okay.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 pm
AlphaDummy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm Barely squeaked by with 37. Would have done better except for a couple of inexcusable brain farts - added an extra "n" to "buccaneer", which DQ'd the answer given the category (it took me a few seconds to come up with the answer, and then I rushed it...but when the category is "9-letter words" and you give them ten letters...sorry, Charlie).
I'm sure that one will be okay.
Agreed. It wouldn't be accepted on the show (a guy got negged in FJ for "infinitessimal" in the category 13-LETTER WORDS once), but they seem to be a little more lenient on the tests; I think they say that misspellings and incomplete responses will be considered, and we know that incomplete FJ responses are no good.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

zakharov wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:42 am It's well established that in the NYC area they are pronounced differently and elsewhere they aren't. This made that question very difficult for us Yankees. I'm surprised a writing staff like Jeopardy's would use a question that completely depends on your accent.
Well, they do suggest you take the test for your own time zone.
I'm smart and I want respect.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Lefty wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 pm
zakharov wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:42 am It's well established that in the NYC area they are pronounced differently and elsewhere they aren't. This made that question very difficult for us Yankees. I'm surprised a writing staff like Jeopardy's would use a question that completely depends on your accent.
Well, they do suggest you take the test for your own time zone.
Tuesday was my anniversary, don't think my wife would have appreciated me stepping away for it :lol:
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
ronaldSon
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Online Test Recap Discussion Central April 10 2019

Post by ronaldSon »

I use PO boxes... and I always will. My box is listed as a Suite # so it doesnt have P.O. in the address.

It looks a little more professional, but it is still a PO box none the less.

Karen
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

I got 42/50, missing 11, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 26, 43.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ok, after doing a recount I got 36 (whew). Still way below my usual 40 of previous tests.