Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

Post by Woof »

I would concur that tonight’s felt harder. 41/50 for me, missing 8,11,14,17,19,21,36,40,46. It’s just as well that I passed on taking it tonight because I had to get dinner ready for my son. Now to hope that tomorrow’s doesn’t crash on me...
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Last year, I got about 20 right. Unfortunately, I blanked on about five of them. :(
Just a person who loves game shows.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

35 off the video, some I just had a brain freeze and should have gotten. It felt a lot harder than last night, there were more clues tonight I just had no shot at. Tomorrow for reals.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:20 pm The Rubens' room in the Louvre (the one with the 24 Marie de' Medici paintings) is pretty killer
Amen to this. This and the Hermaphrodite sculpture thing rocked me way more than that tiny Mona whassername.

2) Everything that is rhyme-y is a rhyme. Our lingua franca insists on it, hell, look at how Woof spells "fish" in his avatar!! (ghoti) Lets' save the precision for the sciences and set Planck's constant for the arts at about 1 (unity).
Spoiler
this value determines the size of quantum increments, and in our universe is 35 orders of magnitude less than unity. A great book by George Gamow (Mr. Tomkins in Wonderland imagines this scenario - I must re-read sometime
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
Knowing you, I don't think it is, but this seems like high-level trolling.
Sprinkles are for winners.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
Knowing you, I don't think it is, but this seems like high-level trolling.
If I were to troll, it would only be at the highest of levels.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Took it for real, got 40.

Now to wait for the audition invitation that may never happen (haven't gotten one since 2010).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Got 42/50 on video. I agree with those who thought it was somewhat tougher than average.

Missed the following (spoilerized):
Spoiler
Kendrick Lamar. Brain freeze, I answered Jay-Z.
Don Giovanni. I answered Barber of Seville.
Argentina. My mental map was off; I answered Brazil.
Yahoo! I answered Google.
Amos. Wild guess, Abraham. Very wrong.
Juniper. Came up with the correct answer 2 seconds too late--and this has come up before.
Espohagus. I answered Eustachian tube.
Hymn. Froze up, wrote nothing. For shame.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 pm ETA: does "scary sherry" rhyme?
Not even a little bit

I would have gotten 37 on this one.
1) yes, they rhyme. ;)
2) beats the crap out of my "angry sangria" :lol:
Played this from the video and had nada. Briefly considered Loco Four Loko.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

47 right. I missed the Supreme Court month (WAGged December), the Monopoly property (Atlantic), and the Mozart opera (I could only think of The Magic Flute and The Marriage of Figaro, and said the latter since it has a title character).

The Glass Menagerie was an utterly lucky guess. Jumbo jet I had to pause the video, but again I was watching at double speed, and this time I screen recorded with microphone audio so I could check any questionable response times; it was 10 seconds from reveal to get.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

thought i was finally going to get into the 40s...got the 1st 12 correct, then went downhill...tied my personal best with 39
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm 41/50 tonight for practice. Tomorrow I'll take the test for real. I missed the Supreme Court question and I'm an attorney - d'oh!
never saw the walter matthau "first monday in october"?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Scored 45 playing from animal instinct off Sherder's video. Wrote Kendrick for Lamar, switched from Pacific because the other properties seemed closer to the Atlantic, peacock for the bird, an even longer but wronger show instead of Everybody Loves Raymond, and Marriage of Figaro having not thought of the right answer. I decided Clam Chowder would surely be good enough but if forced to pick one, I would have said New England.

I long ago got used to "Scary Sherry" being a Jeopardy rhyme, but I am still annoyed by it. Not when speaking with actual MIdwesterners, but on the show. I don't know if I ever argued with bbird about the alleged homophony of Aaron and Erin, but I do remember denying it online to somebody.
I'm smart and I want respect.
billiej

Post by billiej »

FS7 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 pm It didn't crash for me, but based on the videos from yesterday I'd say the difficulty was pretty similar. Maybe even harder.

Last year's test was easier, at least when I took it.
This year is definitely harder. I didn't even pass last night, for the first time in a few years. If i had waited for this one, I would've squeaked by with a 37. Still below last year. Or I could just be getting dumber. :lol:
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

DBear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 pm I took it successfully, seemed quite difficult. I'm not sure I got 35 this time around. :?
Yeah, it was tough. I average mid-30's, but I only got as many as 32 this time with a couple of lucky semi-guesses (Lisbon & Glass Menagerie) - and if they accept CHOWDER without the CLAM. (Would have been 33 if I hadn't somehow typed "YAHGOO", which sounds like a Yahoo/Google merger. Would have been 34 if I hadn't also typed DANCES WITH WOLVES, deleted it, and typed FIELD OF DREAMS. I should rely more on my first instinct.)

What stings the most is my wife - a physician - gawking at me in disbelief when I admitted I don't know what the esophagus is. I think she's reconsidering her decision to wed me.
Last edited by satori on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
billiej

Post by billiej »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:53 pm This is California: Mary, Sherry, Scary, Merry, Marry, Hairy Jerry all rhyme
Yeah, I'm struggling trying to figure out how they *don't*.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Missed 12 of the first 25, but ended strong but still only finished with 34. Felt much harder to me than the last few tests. Way too much art/poetry/literature for me and no sports/pop culture/film. I got super frustrated not coming up with Austen and Buccaneer but many of my misses were things I've never heard of in the context of the question (McCain, Idaho, Uncle Vanya, Don Giovanni, The Goldfinch). I also got confused on the entropy one. I should've taken the Palm Beach one, got 42 that time. Next year I guess...
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

VAdame wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 pm Missed:
Kendrick Lamar, said Drake. Hey, Drake, "Duck"worth...makes sense!
I made this exact same mistake, same reasoning.

43 out of 50, for real. I thought Tuesday's test (off the video) was harder (37 right).
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

movieman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm Would simply saying clam chowder for #10 and finch for #23 have been acceptable? Thanks.
Clam chowder had better be OK, because that's what I said! Finch is doubtful because the clue referenced a colorful bird.

I know I passed. I am certain I had 44 correct. I was pleased to see a dearth of popular culture questions. (I grimace at needing to know about Britney Spears and Kardashians.) I am another who guessed Drake for Duckworth.

I know a former contestant who is a language teacher and a stickler for pronunciations. She is always careful to pronounce Harry differently from hairy and Barry differently from berry. ("Can Barry marry Harry? Yes, now he can!") She also points out that people in her part of the country don't distinguish between cot and caught, although of course some people do.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mykel67
Contributor

Post by mykel67 »

"ANGRY SANGRIA"?!?! That made my day. :lol: :lol: :lol: