So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by hbomb1947 »

RJRouge wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm After some introspection, I have realized that I might not dislike James so much if his run wasn't coinciding with the absolute worst of times for me. I'd still find his mannerisms irksome, but I'd like to think I could at least be congratulatory. The other strong runs and top money earners all came at a better time in my life, and to watch someone achieving such a staggering success at practically the only thing I'm good at while still being unable to land a job is certainly not helping my depression.

So really it's not so much him I don't like as it is the contrast to my personal failure.
I'm sorry to hear you're going through such rough times. But that doesn't mean you have failed at anything. And although I don't know you, I have difficulty believing that trivia is the only thing you're good at. I hope your circumstances change for the better really soon.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Another clown: https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrep ... 739ff.html. Unfortunately you can only have two links per signature so I have to find a way to consolidate all these amusing links. This one is a fairly standard bunch of pearl-clutching about the King being a fun-sucker, and also a man filled with "unrepentant greed" (I guess winning makes one greedy). However this gem stands out:
If he guesses right
Yes, he's guessing and getting lucky 97% of the time, that's the most likely scenario here.

Anyways, I'll defer the scathing response to Mr. Broman to the Menace King himself this time; much like his J! skills, I can't top his succinctness.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

RKane wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm Another clown: https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrep ... 739ff.html. Unfortunately you can only have two links per signature so I have to find a way to consolidate all these amusing links. This one is a fairly standard bunch of pearl-clutching about the King being a fun-sucker, and also a man filled with "unrepentant greed" (I guess winning makes one greedy). However this gem stands out:
If he guesses right
Yes, he's guessing and getting lucky 97% of the time, that's the most likely scenario here.

Anyways, I'll defer the scathing response to Mr. Broman to the Menace King himself this time; much like his J! skills, I can't top his succinctness.
It's not worth giving these writers the clicks.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RKane wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm Another clown: https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrep ... 739ff.html.
Wait a minute. Did you call this guy a clown because he's writing from Baraboo, WI--the home to Ringling Bros and the Circus World Museum? His forebears really could have been clowns!
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but in thinking about James's phenomenal run, I can't help but wonder if another advantage he has is that he has two opponents, both of whom would like to win. Often it seems like his opponents are knocking each other out trying to keep up with James.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

earendel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 pm I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but in thinking about James's phenomenal run, I can't help but wonder if another advantage he has is that he has two opponents, both of whom would like to win. Often it seems like his opponents are knocking each other out trying to keep up with James.
It absolutely hurts the opponents. Every dollar player 3 gets is a dollar player 2 doesn't and vice versa. If they really wanted to collude to have the best shot at taking out James, the worst player would not ever want to ring in so the main contender could accumulate more money.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 pm
RKane wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm Another clown: https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrep ... 739ff.html.
Wait a minute. Did you call this guy a clown because he's writing from Baraboo, WI--the home to Ringling Bros and the Circus World Museum? His forebears really could have been clowns!
Tsk. Around here we all know there were only three bears.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Le Master wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm
earendel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 pm I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but in thinking about James's phenomenal run, I can't help but wonder if another advantage he has is that he has two opponents, both of whom would like to win. Often it seems like his opponents are knocking each other out trying to keep up with James.
It absolutely hurts the opponents. Every dollar player 3 gets is a dollar player 2 doesn't and vice versa. If they really wanted to collude to have the best shot at taking out James, the worst player would not ever want to ring in so the main contender could accumulate more money.
There you go! If there's anything that would sting (and stink) worse for me than trying for 30 years to get on J!, only to be steamrolled by someone like James, it's the thought of finally getting the chance, then rolling over and playing dead so that the other newcomer would have a better chance to take down the champ. Ugh. Just clam and leave Culver City with a case of Rice-a-Roni.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

"Basketball used to be a ballet of athleticism and artistry. But once NBA analysts figured out converting 3-point shots at a 33% clip gets you more points than making two-pointers at a 45% rate, the game became a sharpshooting contest. Today five guys stand outside the 3-point arc and pass it around until one of them shoots."

Has this guy ever watched an NBA game? Either in the modern "sharpshooting" era or whenever the pinnacle of "athleticism and artistry" supposedly was? Other than the blatant ref-baiting the game has never been more aesthetically pleasing.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:04 pm It's not worth giving these writers the clicks.
True, I have changed my signature. I have also contacted the King James Holzhauer website with a suggestion that they make a section called "The Hecklers of Holzhauer" (alternatively "The Haters of Holzhauer") wherein they could compile some of these articles.
squarekara wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 pm
No, that was just an incredibly serendipitous word choice on my part, I guess. Thanks for noticing!
Vintsanity wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 pm "Basketball used to be a ballet of athleticism and artistry. But once NBA analysts figured out converting 3-point shots at a 33% clip gets you more points than making two-pointers at a 45% rate, the game became a sharpshooting contest. Today five guys stand outside the 3-point arc and pass it around until one of them shoots."

Has this guy ever watched an NBA game? Either in the modern "sharpshooting" era or whenever the pinnacle of "athleticism and artistry" supposedly was? Other than the blatant ref-baiting the game has never been more aesthetically pleasing.
Completely agree. I'm no expert, as Basketball is a sport I am not very interested in but even I can appreciate watching Curry & co. nail those 3s. I remember watching the final a few years ago and just being blown away.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

This excellent NPR podcast by James's brother-in-law features interviews with not only James but also Ken Jennings, Roger Craig, and Monica Thieu. We also meet a nice and nephew whom James made shout-outs to with some of his wagers.