So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I know it may seem crazy to witness, but James so far has been on some kind of tear in the past week. He has done a lot of good things so far. The following include:

1) Biggest bet on a DD, and got it right. ($25,000, Philip Tiu's $19,000 for second)

2) Broke the record for the most amount of money heading into FJ! ($72,800)

3) Has the highest average winnings in regular season with $59,291 per game (Not including tournaments)

4) Broke the record for the most amount of money heading into DJ! ($22,012)

5) Scored $139,689 on 14 out of 15 DDs.

6) Scored $107,546 in 6 of 7 FJs.

7) Ties with Josh Hill in games won (And top spot for most winnings, despite what was originally a three-way tie with Ryan Fenster and Kyle Jones.)

8) Needs more than $13,065 to take over Julia Collins for 3rd in regular season winnings (And/or $15,365 to take over David Madden for 2nd)

9) Is currently tops on the next upcoming ToC contenders with a 49.36% buzzer percentage.

10) Has broke most records by previous Jeopardy! champs who had won 4-9 games as champion after winning over $200,000 in 4 days.

I think he may have the goods for winning the ToC, but much like what happened to superchampions Austin Rogers, Arthur Chu, and Julia Collins, they couldn't pull it through to win the whole thing. But moreover, how would you summarize James' run so far heading into tomorrow for his 8th match?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by seaborgium »

Reading this, I guess "nothing" is the answer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm Reading this, I guess "nothing" is the answer.
Sick burn
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm Reading this, I guess "nothing" is the answer.
Sick burn
sick burn? do you think you are artie from liv and maddie?
davey

Post by davey »

An interview with James Holzhauer-

Not sure if we can make anything of the fact
Spoiler
that it's written in the past tense...

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/jeopard ... 1527612724
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

The man can Jeopardy
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

I think we learned that very aggressive wagering combined with solid Jeopardy fundamentals (buzzer technique and encyclopedic knowledge) can totally reshape how we think about winnings on the show.

The only thing he really does new is bet aggressively on a consistent basis. That's not to say he's not an outstanding player - in fact, he's almost certainly top three all time at this point - but his dollar amounts make you think he's accomplished something in terms of answering questions that others have not, which isn't true. Though to be fair those who have accomplished it are the Jeopardy legends, so that says quite a bit.

I started thinking that he had a run of easy questions and slightly better than average knowledge, but on the days where I am below 60% he still manages to run almost the entire board. After watching his performance from five years ago on The Chase I'm extraordinarily impressed with the breadth of what he knows.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm An interview with James Holzhauer-

Spoiler

Unfortunately we probably can make something of that.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Spoiler

I will point out that
Spoiler
taping has concluded for the season. Unless I’m missing a specific quote you’re referring to, he could be talking in the past tense with regards to having wrapped up taping.
Leander

Post by Leander »

hanzz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:01 am
Le Master wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Spoiler

I will point out that
Spoiler
taping has concluded for the season. Unless I’m missing a specific quote you’re referring to, he could be talking in the past tense with regards to having wrapped up taping.
Also,
Spoiler
Speaking in the past tense is vaguer and probably preferable from the show's point of view to revealing that he is still the champ at the end of the taping schedule
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Buzzing speed matters. In every game so far, there’s one player who barely buzzes in, and I doubt it’s because they don’t know the answers.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 am Buzzing speed matters. In every game so far, there’s one player who barely buzzes in, and I doubt it’s because they don’t know the answers.
Of course buzzing speed matters greatly, but I think James also knows a bit more of the material than the average contestant.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Also, have we seen any successful players go bottom-up as directly as James? I know Arthur liked to jump from category to category, but his method seemed less predictable and organized.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 am
Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 am Buzzing speed matters. In every game so far, there’s one player who barely buzzes in, and I doubt it’s because they don’t know the answers.
Of course buzzing speed matters greatly, but I think James also knows a bit more of the material than the average contestant.
This reminds me of triviawayne's 500 questions game at TCONA last summer. I knew 95% of the answers but got in first on the buzzer with a correct answer EXACTLY TWICE in 500 questions. I wandered out of that Tropicana conference room in such a beat-down daze.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm
This reminds me of triviawayne's 500 questions game at TCONA last summer. I knew 95% of the answers but got in first on the buzzer with a correct answer EXACTLY TWICE in 500 questions. I wandered out of that Tropicana conference room in such a beat-down daze.
That is very different: you were able to interrupt the question in that game - similarly to quiz bowl. If you know the answer earlier than others (or, in my case in that game, if you had a random guess that sometimes was the answer, but more often not) you could buzz in.

In Jeopardy timing, not just speed, matters.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm
That is very different: you were able to interrupt the question in that game - similarly to quiz bowl. If you know the answer earlier than others (or, in my case in that game, if you had a random guess that sometimes was the answer, but more often not) you could buzz in.

Also, with 500Q, you were against 10 or 11 other people on the buzzer at the same time. I was as surprised as anyone when some people scored zero, and the leader only had 30-something.

If I ever get to do another 500Q, I will split it into 4 games with fewer players at each game, and a 100Q final game with the winners of the 4 games and some wild cards.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I agree here, I've noticed a little slowdown in James Thursday and Friday. I don't know if that will be a regular pattern of his, but that is when he seems beatable because he is in game 4 and 5 of a single day. Might even have something to do with what he eats for lunch.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ACW

Post by ACW »

Yeah, if you buzz in too early, doesn't it lock you out for...what is it, 3 seconds?

Also, why DOES it lock you out? I'm not fond of that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 pmYeah, if you buzz in too early, doesn't it lock you out for...what is it, 3 seconds?

It's not that long

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-s ... uzzer-work
If a contestant attempts to ring in before the gameboard lights activate, the system locks out their signal for a quarter of a second. This quarter-second lockout works like a “digital policeman” that keeps the game flowing.
Also, their game, their rules. (But also, race conditions in programming are just the worst.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Yeah, if you buzz in too early, doesn't it lock you out for...what is it, 3 seconds?

The lockout is about .25 seconds and nowhere near 3 seconds unless you are too fast and continually lock yourself out.

Yes, it's timing and not speed for the buzzer. One true push is all you need and not video game rapidity.

If you have any kind of dexterity with the signaling device you can push more than once in a quarter of a second. Instead of jackhammer speed go for one perfectly timed push. If it does not work then get the next push fast though not under .25 seconds. For the repetition the contestant coordinators talk about and give you practice with think of it like a stopwatch and wanting to start and stop in a rhythm at (once buzzers activated) every .25 seconds and not as many clicks as possible with no break in between.

Where speed comes into play is reading and processing the clue to be ready to click once the buzzers are armed. When you play at home you need to have your response ready to go when Alex is finished reading the clue. If you lag at that skill or worse play some kind of pause/play method then that is nothing but trouble in the pace of a real game.

Some like Ken Jennings were able to ring in and expect to figure out the clue before time expired. I do not get the impression James is playing that way even on the top boxes.

The skill that not everyone has on stage is finding the sweet spot of anticipating when to ring in with perfect timing in a very tiny space of the buzzers armed and before the lights on the board indicate as such. It's timing and some players are exceptional at it consistently.

If the show had no lockout for early buzzing, but the buzzers were not activated until the clue was finished being read then I'm not sure how that would play out. Certainly no one wants 1984-85 with open season on ringing in as soon as the clue is revealed.

One other factor for ringing in is the staffer human element as one guy sits at the ready to push the button to activate the buzzers. If that employee is consistent then that helps a contestant with good timing. Videos clues can affect the timing as it's different than Alex's normal rhythm on regular clues.