Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pompetti

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by pompetti »

The biggest difference was they gave us 2 written tests of 50 questions each. I felt the second test was harder than the first. Glen and Ryan said they would take the better of the scores.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

pompetti wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 am Are we allowed to discuss the details of the audition process? The process for this past Tuesday was slightly different from my previous audition in 2016.
The only thing I remember being told not to discuss outside the room was the questions on the test taken at the audition. We were given the impression that they might be used on a future online test or at other auditions.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I was at the final Boston session today, and we were given 2 written tests, and told that one was basically a guinea pig run for a future online test. They told us they would only count our highest score out of the 2. The second was considerably harder in my opinion and that of others I talked to.
pompetti

Post by pompetti »

MasterCone wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm I was at the final Boston session today, and we were given 2 written tests, and told that one was basically a guinea pig run for a future online test. They told us they would only count our highest score out of the 2. The second was considerably harder in my opinion and that of others I talked to.
I felt the same about the two tests. The first one I probably scored a 47/50. The second test I'd be lucky to get a 40.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I’d be lucky to have passed the 2nd. Several questions in my extreme weak spots and the first half I had so many blank/guessed that I basically just laughed it off while being thankful I got probably around 45 on the first.

My group today was 21 people, and there were also 21 in another room concurrently. Gender distribution was roughly 50/50. I think there were 9 women in my room including myself.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm I got the email for an audition in DC on June 17! YAY!
My score was 39.
Hope to see some of you there!
And now I am up to 10 straight years without an invite in DC. My scores keep going up (43 or 45 this year) but it seems like my chances of getting an audition remain firmly at 0%.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Two tests is gonna be rough - the mock game part is way more fun!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Don't expect two tests. We were told this was something they "rarely" did. I found the 2nd test tp be a little more difficult, but not tremendously so.
Teems with quiet fun.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Yeah I don’t think the 2 tests thing is likely to occur in many other auditions.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Long ago before the online tests, I heard of a group getting two tests--the "main" test, and a second test which consisted of questions to possibly be used in future tests. If someone passed either test, they would move on to the interviews and mock game.

This doesn't mean they would use the entire test as is, just the individual questions that hit whatever get rate they were looking for; and they wouldn't necessarily use all the questions in a single future test.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Back in 2012, my audition group got two written tests. (Robert and Corina didn't tell us why, IIRC.)
Trivianationals
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Trivianationals »

Jeopardy is going to be holding an in person audition for attendees at Trivia Nationals in Las Vegas August 9-11, so if you didn’t get lucky in the online lotto, this will be another chance to tryout. There will also be a panel discussion on how to be a successful Jeopardy contestant, featuring producer Maggie Speak, a member of the writing staff and a few former contestants, which will be very informative and very entertaining to boot! You can sign up for newsletter updates for the event at the website, or register at www.trivianationals.org. You can DM questions to info@trivianationals.org. Come join us!
kinny18

Post by kinny18 »

I am planning on auditioning in Denver on the 30th...does anyone know if the time (10:00) listed is local time which would be Mountain Time? Don't want to be late :D
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

kinny18 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 pm I am planning on auditioning in Denver on the 30th...does anyone know if the time (10:00) listed is local time which would be Mountain Time? Don't want to be late :D
In all the auditions I've done (in two time zones), the start time was in local time.
JeopardIan303

Post by JeopardIan303 »

I heard Denver's test was today but I didn't get the email. Would have thought 44 correct answers was high enough to get to the audition.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JeopardIan303 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:58 pm I heard Denver's test was today but I didn't get the email. Would have thought 44 correct answers was high enough to get to the audition.
To the best of our knowledge, they select passers randomly (or, at the very least, they don't use score as a criterion). A higher score doesn't guarantee an audition.
JeopardIan303

Post by JeopardIan303 »

Well, shoot. :?
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Denver auditions today got two tests. I also think the first was easier. Pretty sure I passed the first one but the second one was probably a no - I blanked on too many!
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

Was at Nashville auditions today. Two tests. Don't know if knowledge base just matched well, but the first was pretty darn easy. Second just a little tougher. Crazy how much easier it was than the online, though...
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

choplakecity wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 amWas at Nashville auditions today. Two tests. Don't know if knowledge base just matched well, but the first was pretty darn easy. Second just a little tougher. Crazy how much easier it was than the online, though...
Passed over again...<sigh>
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."