Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

billiej wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:20 am Why does everyone think you have to be hilarious at the audition?
Says the dude with the clown nose... :lol:
I'm a sad clown
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:20 am Why does everyone think you have to be hilarious at the audition?
The musician part is actually my most realistic non-occupation should I be lucky enough to be asked. I have written numerous sets of lyrics (and have won an award for performing such in an informal competition with seasoned professionals), I just can't write or create music worth a darn.
HeySarahJ
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HeySarahJ »

Hi everyone. I’m Sarah, and I just signed up because I got an audition in Columbus. I was aware of the board here, but never registered. I figured it would be a good time to do that and hopefully get some tips!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

HeySarahJ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm Hi everyone. I’m Sarah, and I just signed up because I got an audition in Columbus. I was aware of the board here, but never registered. I figured it would be a good time to do that and hopefully get some tips!
do you know your score on the test?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RJRouge wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm
The musician part is actually my most realistic non-occupation should I be lucky enough to be asked. I have written numerous sets of lyrics (and have won an award for performing such in an informal competition with seasoned professionals), I just can't write or create music worth a darn.
Is this a filk thing? Either way, I think "Lyricist" is exactly the kind of intriguing occupation that would pique their interest. It beats "Musician" hollow. You'd need to be prepared to talk engagingly about that during the (mock) interview because that's where your interview will go, almost regardless of what you put down for your five anecdotes. Anyway, that award sounds perfect as one of the anecdotes. Think about how to be funny, fresh, and surprising in the way you tell it. Work on your phrasing.* If they ask, you can allow that you sometimes take on other jobs to support your art.

* ARCHER: Or are we not doing phrasing anymore?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

HeySarahJ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm Hi everyone. I’m Sarah, and I just signed up because I got an audition in Columbus. I was aware of the board here, but never registered. I figured it would be a good time to do that and hopefully get some tips!
Welcome, Sarah!
Lots of great audition tips on the last couple pages. My two cents: it's more about attitude than anything else, so go with the flow in your interview. Also, they are not kidding about punctuality. Despite a blizzard, they shut the doors right on the hour. One other local and I barely squeaked in, and afterward my husband confirmed that latecomers were indeed turned away.
Arrive early, have fun, and knock 'em dead!
LanceJ
Contributor

Post by LanceJ »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:33 pm
I found that when I played "Leopardy!" at MFF last winter, i was constantly ringing in too soon. I tried counting one beat, still too soon. Two beats, still too soon. THREE beats, still too soon. I imagine a practice game will give me a bit of room to practice that, as will practicing timing from home.
For the audition, I wouldn’t advise worry about timing too much, they’ll specifically tell you to full-on mash the button as soon as the lights hit. They don’t always call on whoever’s first and there’s no lockout system. Just be ready to answer loudly (and pick a new clue quickly!) even if you think you were outbuzzed.

My biggest advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself, tons of superchamps auditioned again and again before they got picked. Be prepared, have fun, be your best self! If they get a glimpse of the jboard all-star we’ve all grown to love, you’ve got a heck of a shot.
nitajain
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by nitajain »

I went to the June 5th Savannah audition too (one of the 6 females), and it was my first in-person audition as well. I had received a few invitations before but was always too ill to attend. I also thought the second written test was easier, so you're in good company! :D

Were you one of the Georgia natives at the audition, or did you have to travel from another state?
Nespy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:04 pm I have no idea what I scored on the online test. I received my invitation to the June 5th Savannah (10:00 am) in-person audition email on April 29th. I believe there were 19 of us there; maybe a split of 13 male / 6 female? This was my first in person audition and I was very excited..it was kind of a blur!

We took the two written tests, as well, and I believe that she mentioned they were comparing tests from this year and last year. There's every chance I am remembering that incorrectly, though. I found the second test to be much easier, which seems to put me in the minority.
Nespy

Post by Nespy »

Although I lived in Savannah for ten years, I moved to the upstate of South Carolina a couple of years ago. It was only a three hour drive and since I still work for a travel company based in Savannah, I got a comped hotel room. :) I was on the left side of the room sitting on the second row on the aisle.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Douglas Squasoni
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Jeopardy.com is now accepting requests for audience tickets for Monday, July 22 and Tuesday, July 23. First taping days for season 36?

Edit - whoops, I should have found the Season 36 thread which would have answered my question.
gwallace2

Post by gwallace2 »

Hey all... new to this site, found it as I was searching for Jeopardy! resources...

I got 46 right on my online test, got a Boston audition on May 15th in the afternoon. Had about 30 (well i'd guess 29 because they were one short of a trio for the last game) in my group - there were two groups at the same time. First written test went phenomenally, pretty sure I scored a 48-49, including an interesting Pop Music question that no one near me seemed to get.

Fast forward to last Thursday afternoon, and got the call! Taping in early August (6th-7th). Looking forward to perusing the site and learning as much as I can from everyone in the next month!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gwallace2 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm Fast forward to last Thursday afternoon, and got the call! Taping in early August (6th-7th). Looking forward to perusing the site and learning as much as I can from everyone in the next month!
Here is the most important piece of advice between now and then: Learn. To. Wager. This will be time better spent than boning up on your presidents and world capitals and Shakespeare plays--all of which are excellent things to do.

It's very simple. Get pen/pencil and paper. Go to the archive and pick a game at random. Write down the contestant scores going into FJ. Now, work through these questions and calculations:

1. What should the contestant in first place wager to ensure that she wins if she gets FJ right?
2. How much will she have left if she gets FJ wrong?
3. Based on this information, what should the contestants in 2nd and 3rd place wager?

Once you've locked in 3 wagers, check how the contestants wagered and note whether your suggestions were better or worse. Go to the next game. This may sound (and be) tedious at first. But it can quickly become fun as you get a handle on the process and notice how very often the contestant in 2nd or even 3rd place lost the game when she didn't have to.

Keep in mind one essential rule, the Regula Operis*: If you're in second or third place, the first place contestant can ALWAYS bet enough to beat you and almost always will.** So concentrate on scenarios where first place gets FJ wrong.

There's a lot of jargon about wagering--two-thirds and four-fifths scenarios, Stratton's Dillema, crush, etc. Most of it won't make any sense to you until you've put yourself through basic self-training.

* That's Spanish for "Opus's Rule".

** Somewhere, Brad Rutter is smirking and Leslie Frates is hanging her head. Ignore him. Learn from her mistake.
gwallace2

Post by gwallace2 »

Hi Opus,

Thanks for the response! Honestly, wagering and the science behind it is definitely one of the things I feel well prepared for. Getting my wife into Jeopardy recently, I've been able to go over with her where people wager wrong and aren't winning games they should have, all because they were looking at their own score and not those of the players around them.

I feel my weakest area is the classics categories - fine art, ballet, opera, classical music - and I'm planning on at least getting some pavlovs down around those, and devoting more time to those. I feel with a month left, the majority of things are if I know it I know it, but for those I definitely dont have enough down.

With the frequency that at least one of those classic categories show up in a game, it feels like a good use of time, as well as firming up the line of English monarchs, Shakespearean plays, and British lit.

Thanks again, love the discussions I've been reading here!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

One other category of auditions will be those of we hopefuls who go to the audition in Las Vegas on Aug 10 during Trivia Nationals. I know for a fact that morbeedo and I will be there.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am One other category of auditions will be those of we hopefuls who go to the audition in Las Vegas on Aug 10 during Trivia Nationals. I know for a fact that morbeedo and I will be there.
Yup - I'll be there too! For those of us who haven't been able to get a sniff at an audition, attending Trivia Nationals is a great way to do it. Trivianationals.com to register - I don't think it is full yet!

I wonder though, with the stellar trivia players there, if it will be harder to get the call. My medium-good trivia playing will be run of the mill in Vegas, but might stand out elsewhere.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am One other category of auditions will be those of we hopefuls who go to the audition in Las Vegas on Aug 10 during Trivia Nationals. I know for a fact that morbeedo and I will be there.
Yup - I'll be there too! For those of us who haven't been able to get a sniff at an audition, attending Trivia Nationals is a great way to do it. Trivianationals.com to register - I don't think it is full yet!

I wonder though, with the stellar trivia players there, if it will be harder to get the call. My medium-good trivia playing will be run of the mill in Vegas, but might stand out elsewhere.
I assume all aspiring contestants take the same test, and the mock game is not a knowledge test, so I don't think trying out at Trivia Nationals vs. another city should make much difference. Plus, it's widely accepted that the contestant search process is a casting call for relatable, telegenic people with above average trivia knowledge. But nobody really knows what they're looking for, amiright?

'relatable' is where I struggle, personally
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

As I was telling my wife, it may not be as filled with quizzers as we think. A lot of TN attendees will be J! Champs or have already auditioned this cycle. So we won’t have to compete with the JenningsK , MuellerP and RutterB’s of the world. — just the PerryS and MeyerT’s of the world :mrgreen:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I assume all aspiring contestants take the same test, and the mock game is not a knowledge test, so I don't think trying out at Trivia Nationals vs. another city should make much difference. Plus, it's widely accepted that the contestant search process is a casting call for relatable, telegenic people with above average trivia knowledge. But nobody really knows what they're looking for, amiright?
Plus, regardless of where you auditioned, you'll go into TPTB's files as a ________ from _______, and we know that they cast to have a diversity of occupations and hometowns represented each taping week.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I will be auditioning at Trivia Nationals.
Sprinkles are for winners.