Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

immaf wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am
30 was reported in a Boston session
That 30 was a guess on my part. I didn't actually count. I think there was a no-show, and we ended up with a final group of only 2. (They pulled a random person up to repeat the buzzing in portion of the mock game.)
interesting they pulled a 3rd person for that as it's not really necessary, but then it would give them a chance to see someone a 2nd time if they want, which would mean not random.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:09 am
immaf wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am
30 was reported in a Boston session
That 30 was a guess on my part. I didn't actually count. I think there was a no-show, and we ended up with a final group of only 2. (They pulled a random person up to repeat the buzzing in portion of the mock game.)
interesting they pulled a 3rd person for that as it's not really necessary, but then it would give them a chance to see someone a 2nd time if they want, which would mean not random.
It was random. I saw Glenn reach into the stack of response sheets and grab one. Also, he had warned us that it ewould happen if we didn't have multiples of three. He said they do that to give the newbies a better sense of what it's like to compete. (But he also warned the repeater that he wouldn't be calling on him as often as the other two.)
Teems with quiet fun.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

[/quote]
I still don't understand why they take the time to score the tests right there, everyone plays the mock game anyway, scores can be matched up later and their auditions would go faster.
[/quote]

As a total guess, I'd say that maybe they want to have all of a person's scoring--online test, in-person test, and scoring of how the person was in the room--done while they have the person in front of them and fresh in their minds. It could be that a person needs to have a reasonably good score in all three to make it into a "we'll at least discuss these people" pile.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

lincoln23 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:51 am
As a total guess, I'd say that maybe they want to have all of a person's scoring--online test, in-person test, and scoring of how the person was in the room--done while they have the person in front of them and fresh in their minds. It could be that a person needs to have a reasonably good score in all three to make it into a "we'll at least discuss these people" pile.
The view expressed here repeatedly is that the in-person test serves only to screen for those rare individuals who cheat on the on-line test and the most important determinant of whether you get invited to an audition is how well you do with the in-person interview. Everyone in the room has the smarts to be on the program, so what they're looking for are those people who will make for good TV viewing.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am
mahatma wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am
mahatma wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am I have seen them send people home after the paper test + before the mock games. Mind you, this was many, many years ago.
"many years ago" = "before the age of the online test".
Yes, that's right. It was a Brain Bus event, and I think they started with a short (5-question?) test, then put people in a room for the full written test, then cut down and did interviews/mock games.

With the online test, I guess it's quite rare for someone to do poorly on the in-person test. There has to be a small number of cheaters every year, though, doesn't there?

Brain Bus events had a ten-question test, you needed 7/10 to get an in-person audition at a (usually) later date.

Prior to online tests, testing was only done at in-person auditions. It was still a 50 question test. Anyone who didn't pass was sent home, and the rest stayed and played the mock game and did (probably and almost) everything that is still done during in-person auditions today.

Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going. This is why they give everyone another test at the audition. If you score 45 online, but only 20 in person...yeah, they'll figure it out. I also want to believe that at the in-person testing, if someone "only" scored a 30, they might just figure it was a hard test for that person.
Yeah, and I hope they'd disqualify that person. If there's an objective cutoff, why arbitrarily disregard it? Since they can never prove "cheating" took place or didn't in the home test, best to go with the test results they know are accurate.
I doubt low scores happen in the room very much. Since they longer have to dismiss the majority, keeping everybody around maintains good will which doesn't cost them anything. They still have plenty of people who passed to choose from.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going.
Not difficult at all. Have more than one person in the room reading all the questions.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going.
Not difficult at all. Have more than one person in the room reading all the questions.
I was thinking more along the lines of looking up answers thing, but yeah, more than one person would be a way to cheat...might not get anyone anywhere depending on who was in the room and also willing to cheat, but it would be one way.
davey

Post by davey »

Yeah, but don't you think that could end up more confusing to the person doing the typing? What if they disagree? It might help in marginal cases.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:54 pm
Yeah, but don't you think that could end up more confusing to the person doing the typing? What if they disagree? It might help in marginal cases.
For it to work you'd need to set clear ground rules beforehand, like tell the non-typers to keep clam unless specifically asked for help.

Ultimately the strategy could get you through to the auditions, but you're going to have to perform on your own there!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Couldn’t you just use two computers or a cell phone?

I think the current test is very gameable and it’s one factor in the drop-off in overall contestant quality.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

If anyone has ever played HQ or confetti, the 15 seconds allowed on the Jeopardy! test seems like an eternity, and the vast majority of the clues are very straightforward.

So yeah I don’t know how many people care enough to game this test or help their buddy but I certainly hope (and assume) that the in-person test will always exist as a second line of defense against chicanery
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

britt408 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 pm Anyone for the Denver audition receive actual info regarding the location? I confirmed to the original email but have not heard anything back and haven’t gotten a reply to my other email I sent :shock:
I received my Denver invitation on 4/23, replied to it on 4/24, and received the audition info on 4/26... so it seems a little concerning that you have not heard back from them. It does say to respond back in 2 business days.... (which seems like a short time window to me, because I don't always check my email that often.... I was fortunate to do so in this case). Is there a chance it was more than two days for your response? It still seems like they should respond to you and let you know if you are being put 'on hold'.
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going. This is why they give everyone another test at the audition. If you score 45 online, but only 20 in person...yeah, they'll figure it out. I also want to believe that at the in-person testing, if someone "only" scored a 30, they might just figure it was a hard test for that person.
As already mentioned, it would be easy to game this (or almost any test that isn't proctored) test. You could have several others in the room and make it a group effort. You could certainly google questions within the 15 seconds. What hasn't been mentioned is having a helper skip ahead on the test and have plenty of time to research the more difficult questions. Just submit the first four questions immediately and they are now a full minute ahead.

So TPTB has to have the proctored test in person to weed any of this out. I don't think they would ever kick somebody out before the mock game though, just have them go through the process and not give them a second look.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going. This is why they give everyone another test at the audition. If you score 45 online, but only 20 in person...yeah, they'll figure it out. I also want to believe that at the in-person testing, if someone "only" scored a 30, they might just figure it was a hard test for that person.
As already mentioned, it would be easy to game this (or almost any test that isn't proctored) test. You could have several others in the room and make it a group effort. You could certainly google questions within the 15 seconds. What hasn't been mentioned is having a helper skip ahead on the test and have plenty of time to research the more difficult questions. Just submit the first four questions immediately and they are now a full minute ahead.

So TPTB has to have the proctored test in person to weed any of this out. I don't think they would ever kick somebody out before the mock game though, just have them go through the process and not give them a second look.
now that is an interesting cheat method

ETA: I'm ashamed I didn't think of that myself
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm

But what if the first 4 questions are hard ones? Of course we know how confident Golf is, but I doubt this would be so easy for most people... ;) I also don't think it matters. If you can't pass the test in the audition room, what's the point? If you can pass the test in the audition room, no one will know or care what you did at home...
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm

But what if the first 4 questions are hard ones? Of course we know how confident Golf is, but I doubt this would be so easy for most people... ;) I also don't think it matters. If you can't pass the test in the audition room, what's the point? If you can pass the test in the audition room, no one will know or care what you did at home...
wouldn't matter. there are 50 questions, you need 35 to pass. even if you miss the first four, you have an excellent shot at the next 46.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 am
davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm

wouldn't matter. there are 50 questions, you need 35 to pass. even if you miss the first four, you have an excellent shot at the next 46.
Golf wrote about trying to get ahead by going quickly through the first 4, building up extra time. If you're slowed down by the first 4 instead you may lose momentum. Yes, googling a clue in 10-12 seconds - let's leave 3-5 to do the typing - is possible, but one after another? That's why I say it might help to bump up a marginal score to passing, but it's an awful lot of trouble to go to. I seriously doubt there are large numbers of people running such schemes.
pompetti

Post by pompetti »

Are we allowed to discuss the details of the audition process? The process for this past Tuesday was slightly different from my previous audition in 2016.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pompetti wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 am Are we allowed to discuss the details of the audition process?
I see no reason why you couldn't.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

pompetti wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 am Are we allowed to discuss the details of the audition process? The process for this past Tuesday was slightly different from my previous audition in 2016.
No more pens?