Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 am
boson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 am I failed to reach the required score for the first time in 12+ tests.
Oof, that's rough. Sorry to hear that.
Sorry, boson! Would you say we got the harder of the two tests they’ve been using at auditions this summer?
when is your next td and alpaca quiz?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pmwhen is your next td and alpaca quiz?
I’ve missed you, too!
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pmwhen is your next td and alpaca quiz?
I’ve missed you, too!
didn't answer my question, dude
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

boson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 am I failed to reach the required score for the first time in 12+ tests.
Sorry, boson! Would you say we got the harder of the two tests they’ve been using at auditions this summer?
Nah, I just had an off day and I'm not as good at trivia as I need to be (like 4 questions behind Jeff last night - congrats! ). I missed stuff I knew, didn't know things I should, and ended up in the neighborhood of 40 right, when I should have 45+ to win a Jeopardy game.

I think the passing score was well above 35 at TN to keep numbers down. But no complaints here- they came to TN to get better players. To get on the show, be good at trivia and be good tv.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Nah, I just had an off day and I'm not as good at trivia as I need to be (like 4 questions behind Jeff last night - congrats! ). I missed stuff I knew, didn't know things I should, and ended up in the neighborhood of 40 right, when I should have 45+ to win a Jeopardy game.

I think the passing score was well above 35 at TN to keep numbers down. But no complaints here- they came to TN to get better players. To get on the show, be good at trivia and be good tv.
Yeah, we were speculating the same about the numerical cutoff. I didn’t want to rub salt in your wounds by asking about your score but what you say makes sense.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm I think the passing score was well above 35 at TN to keep numbers down. But no complaints here- they came to TN to get better players. To get on the show, be good at trivia and be good tv.
That would certainly explain why people I would have expected to pass the test didn't do so.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Yeah, we were speculating the same about the numerical cutoff. I didn’t want to rub salt in your wounds by asking about your score but what you say makes sense.
They might have had only a certain amount of time/certain number of spots to accommodate, and so it was the top X scorers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What’s the likelihood of 2 boardies facing off in season 36?
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm

They might have had only a certain amount of time/certain number of spots to accommodate, and so it was the top X scorers.
on social media I saw a pic that supports this,
i.e. the 3:30 group had 20 people who passed the test.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm What’s the likelihood of 2 boardies facing off in season 36?
0%
Douglas Squasoni
Woof

Post by Woof »

RobW wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:08 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm

on social media I saw a pic that supports this,
i.e. the 3:30 group had 20 people who passed the test.
The split was originally 20-19 but because of scheduling conflicts 3:30 ended up with 22 plus a TV crew.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

With 39/70 making the cut, the speculation is they raised passing to a higher score. Boson reports a score around 40, or 5 higher than the commonly accepted 35.

First, does anyone think the test was harder than other tests? When I was in Columbus, while I felt the test was a little easier, I also feel it was simply a little easier for me personally as I actually knew some of my worst subject questions; so I don't believe it was actually an easier test.

Second, of the 31 that didn't make the cut, anyone care to speculate or take a reasonable guess how many of those weren't eligible but were only taking the test for fun?

While I wasn't there, I would think there'd be several people who have been on WWTBAM in the past year, have been on J before, etc.

Finally, the overall passing score could have remained the same 35/50, but they randomly drew from all the passers.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:39 am
First, does anyone think the test was harder than other tests? When I was in Columbus, while I felt the test was a little easier, I also feel it was simply a little easier for me personally as I actually knew some of my worst subject questions; so I don't believe it was actually an easier test.
This was only my second audition test, but I've taken the online tests for the last 12 years. Anecdotally, both in-person tests seemed a tad easier.
Second, of the 31 that didn't make the cut, anyone care to speculate or take a reasonable guess how many of those weren't eligible but were only taking the test for fun?
I really don't think that was the case. There was no extra space in the room for the test and, with over 200 people in attendance at TN, it would have been a dick move in the extreme for an ineligible person to deny another space in the room by taking the test "for fun."
While I wasn't there, I would think there'd be several people who have been on WWTBAM in the past year, have been on J before, etc.
There were certainly a few of us that'd been on WWTBAM in its last season. Given that almost a year has passed, no one seemed to be bothered by that.
Finally, the overall passing score could have remained the same 35/50, but they randomly drew from all the passers.
True, but all the scores I heard from people who made the cut were in the low-to-high 40s. And most of the people who I would have expected to ace the test (e.g. PerryS, MeyerT, RautY) all made the cut.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm What’s the likelihood of 2 boardies facing off in season 36?
0%
What is your basis for saying that?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm
0%
I would agree as the show would want to avoid putting two people on at the same time who know each other.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:29 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm
0%
I would agree as the show would want to avoid putting two people on at the same time who know each other.
I think they've done it before after they changed the rules to eliminate ties; didn't Scott Blish and Alex Jacob know each other before facing each other on the show?

ETA: confirmed in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2844
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Tonight I returned to Austin Rogers's pub trivia quiz in Manhattan. He clarified that the visit to his trivia night by J! personnel (which still hasn't been scheduled) won't actually be an audition. Instead, the J! crew will be "scouting" (in Austin's words) for people to invite to audition. (Honestly, the bar is too small / crowded for J! to have room to set up for an audition.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm
boson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm I think the passing score was well above 35 at TN to keep numbers down. But no complaints here- they came to TN to get better players. To get on the show, be good at trivia and be good tv.
That would certainly explain why people I would have expected to pass the test didn't do so.
I look at it this way, all the super smart kids are now in the pool. This time next year, they’ll either still be in or, hopefully, have been on. That means the bar is low enough for dummies like me to finally audition!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm
I look at it this way, all the super smart kids are now in the pool. This time next year, they’ll either still be in or, hopefully, have been on. That means the bar is low enough for dummies like me to finally audition!
That presumes that all the super-smart kids get on as a result of this audition. As amply demonstrated by Vijay Balse, that’s not a given. OTOH, some of them may feel as I do: that I put my best foot forward in what were nearly ideal circumstances, and that if I don’t get a call as a result of this audition, I’ll have to think Long and hard about whether I should continue trying.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My friend Robert said that when he was on Wheel a couple years before me, they specifically asked about Buy a Vowel Forums. However, they didn't at my taping session.

Similarly, there was no mention of this board or any other social media platforms at my J! audition.