Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Re: Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by tddeveryday »

harrumph wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm
JosephLousy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:32 am Is there any good reason why Jeopardy hasn't forced the players to select from top to bottom instead of wherever they want?
That's a lousy question.
Apologies. I'm new! I'm happy to learn from the experts.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

JosephLousy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 am
harrumph wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm
JosephLousy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:32 am Is there any good reason why Jeopardy hasn't forced the players to select from top to bottom instead of wherever they want?
That's a lousy question.
Apologies. I'm new! I'm happy to learn from the experts.
My remark was purely a joke. Welcome to the board.
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

Schliemann wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm That FJ took me longer than it should have, but I finally got the pun and came up with Aquaman.

At this point it seems like we need either Austin Powers or LSV to step in to take James down. :D
Don't forget Lampy the man who has beaten James head to head. Or Schliemann. LSV has posted he won't try to get on the show. But, yes, AP needs to get on the show whether he is now lacking in tiger blood or not.
Thanks for the s/o, Mark! gnash is right in that an easier path to toppling JH goes through a weaker third player. I think a scenario where neither James nor I (or any of the crew that you've mentioned - there's a few others that regularly top the LL Championship each year that haven't been on the show I'd also add ) had touched a buzzer before, it's probably close to a 50/50 DD-dependent crapshoot on who wins as we're likely all pretty close on knowledge of the regular show material and recall/reaction time. A scenario where Big J has 60 games of experience on the buzzer and I have none as a challenger contestant.... eek.

James' game is very rhythmic, a pretty uniform pace. The zone.I think a couple things to try would be to 1) Slow down the pace of the game, change it's rhythm. Try to alter the cadence of the gameplay away from James' tempo. Slow responses, slow clue choices, etc 2) Extreme bouncing - basically pick the next clue at random for the bottom three rows (until the DD(s) are uncovered and then bounce all five) (again anything to throw James' natural flow).
I didn't beat him head to head. I failed to lose my spot. Could I? Conceivably. Probably even favored on some formats, but everything Schlie says about champion's advantage is true and it's likely he's a better live buzzer than me anyway. At this point I no longer desire to compete on Jeopardy, so I don't think this scenario is very likely.