Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7974, 2019-04-18

James Holzhauer game 11.

CONTESTANTS
Gregory Bodkin, an institutional development manager from Brooklyn, New York
Samantha Merwin, a graduate student from Irvine, California
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 10-day cash winnings total $697,787)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. I've been having a devil of a time trying to keep up with our current champion. But then again, so have all of his opponents so far. He's good. He's fast. He keeps things moving. Samantha and Gregory, good luck to you today. And to you, too, James. Let's see what happens in this half-hour, shall we? Starting off with the first of our categories, we have...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED TV TITLES (5/5)
AROUND THE HOUSE (4/5)
PET SOUNDS (4/5)
THE AUNT HILL (5/5)
NEXT YEAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN JERUSALEM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 20 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Samantha: 4 R, 0 W
Gregory: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. James had $3,000, Samantha had $1,000, and Gregory was at $2,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

NEXT YEAR $800: Culminating on Aug. 26, 2020, the U.S. will celebrate the 100th anniversary of this egalitarian milestone

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $8,800
Gregory: $2,800
Samantha: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Gregory Bodkin is from Brooklyn, New York. Had an interesting job when you were in high school. Tell us about it.

Gregory: I was a deckhand on a ferry boat that went from Long Island to Fire Island. And one of the most interesting moments is I got to work on a thing called the Invasions, where drag--hundreds of drag queens go from one town to the next to invade it. It's a, you know, lots of glitter, lots of color. It's a lot of fun.

Alex: I figured there was probably a lot of glitter and a lot of color.

Alex: Samantha Merwin, a graduate student from Irvine, California. You used to play a Jeopardy! video game with your brother, right?

Samantha: Yes, my brother, Michael, and I, we were--I'm a couple years older than him, so I had an advantage in that way. But if I ever--on the rare occasion I lost, I would shut off the console before it could save so that I would stay undefeated. Yeah. So I haven't found the shutdown button here yet.

[Laughter]

Alex: We don't have a shutdown button.

James: [As Alex walks to James' lectern] I used to do the same thing playing Tecmo Super Bowl.

Alex: At the end of yesterday's program, you--on your screen, you wrote down a little tribute to your grandmother. I'd like to hear about her experiences with you and with Jeopardy!.

James: She moved from Japan to help raise me and my brother. You know, spoke barely any English, if anything at all. But Jeopardy! was on in the afternoon at our house. My dad wasn't home yet. She would watch the program with me, even though she didn't understand a lick of it. And I promised her someday she'd see me on that stage up here. So I hope wherever she is right now, she's looking down.

Alex: I'm sure she is. She's very, very, very proud.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE HOUSE $1000: We've got Chex in our pantry & this rhyming brand for the floors of our decks

PET SOUNDS $800: Another word for weft, this thread is at a right angle to warp in weaving

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $13,200
Gregory: $3,400
Samantha: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FEATURE FILM DEBUTS (5/5)
GREEK & ROMAN LIT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
-OMETERS (5/5)
U.S. SENATE GLOSSARY (5/5)
BATTLE ROYALE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REVERSIBLE COMPOUND WORDS (5/5) (Alex: We need both words as a response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 19 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Samantha: 7 R, 1 W
Gregory: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. James had $15,200, Samantha had $2,200, and Gregory was at $4,600. James wagered $6,013.

BATTLE ROYALE $1600: Portugal's King Sebastian drowned at the 1578 Battle of the 3 Kings in this country across the Gulf of Cadiz

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. James had $24,013, Samantha had $2,200, and Gregory was at $4,600. James wagered $9,812.

GREEK & ROMAN LIT $2000: From around 170 A.D., the "Meditations" of this Roman emperor reflect on subjects like moral & social virtue

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $47,825 (lock game)
Samantha: $9,800
Gregory: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $28,224 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Samantha: Wager $6,601 to cover Gregory.
Gregory: Risk between $1,601 and $5,000, covering Samantha's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
During his years with the Justice League of America, this superhero sometimes used the secret identity "C. King"

FINAL SCORES
Gregory: $8,200 - $4,000 = $4,200 (Who Batman) (2nd place: $2,000)
Samantha: $9,800 - $6,601 = $3,199 (Who is Superman???) (3rd place: $1,000)
James: $47,825 + $26,308 = $74,133 (Who is Aquaman? Hi Katie & Jo Jo ♥) (11-day champion: $771,920)
(Alex: If you paid close attention to the last part of the clue, "C. King", it would have helped you immensely.)
(Alex: [To James] C. King. The Sea King.)
(James: Thank you for bad movie night, honey.)
(Alex: What's this?)
(James: I'm thanking my wife for bad movie night.)
(Alex: Okay. Now, Katie and Jo Jo are...)
(James: Niece and nephew.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $33,400, 39 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Samantha: $9,800, 11 R, 1 W
Gregory: $8,200, 8 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $51,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 40/61 = .656
Samantha: 11/58 = .190
Gregory: 8/58 = .138
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE AUNT HILL $600: Rosalind Russell played this title auntie in a 1958 film; Roger Smith played nephew Patrick Dennis as a grownup
(Alex: "I'm your Auntie [*]".)

AROUND THE HOUSE $600: We've put in some raised planters to have a kitchen garden with parsley, sage, rosemary & this herb

PET SOUNDS $400: The peppermint kind of this seasonal treat has white & dark chocolate & candy cane pieces

-OMETERS $400: The sphygmomanometer will measure this

-OMETERS $800: Some dashboards have a speedometer next to this instrument as analog dials

-OMETERS $1200: This device counts steps just as well as that fitness tracker

-OMETERS $1600: Keeping accurate time was vital for 18th-century sailors--here's a 1760 type of this device

-OMETERS $2000: A mass this-ometer can identify the component parts of a substance

BATTLE ROYALE $800: Sweden's crown prince was one of the allied commanders who thrashed this man at the 1813 Battle of the Nations
(Samantha: Uh...ooh.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
women's suffrage (or women's right to vote or the 19th Amendment)
Trex
woof
Morocco
Marcus Aurelius
Aquaman
Mame
thyme
bark
blood pressure
a tachometer
a pedometer
a chronometer
spectrometer
Napoleon
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
During his years with the Justice League of America, this superhero sometimes used the identity “C. King”

James Holzhauer: 47825+26308=74133 (11x = $771,920)
Samantha Merwin: 9800-6601=3199
Gregory Bodkin: 8200-4000=4200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Aquaman (James added Hi Katie & Jo Jo [niece & nephew] <3) (Samantha – Superman) (Gregory – Batman)

Daily Doubles
James: 3000+3000
James: 15200+6013
James: 24013+9812

Coryats
James: 33400
Samantha: 9800
Gregory: 8200

Combined: 51,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 13200
Samantha: 1800
Gregory: 3400
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just another day at the office for James. Sweep the DDs, bank another 74K+, give a shout out to relatives, rack up 39R, 0W, collect the only rebound, only let two clues be TS, run THE AUNT HILL...

Today's game with Samantha & Gregory completes the appearances of the 12 contestants shown from the April next great champion spoiler promo?

Gregory missed some opportunities to take advantage of James and his DD seeking. In the J! round the first pick by James was NEXT YEAR $1000 and Gregory got it right. What did Gregory do? He switched categories. Where was the DD? Right where James began his search in NEXT YEAR.

In the DJ! round it happened again when the first call James made was BATTLE ROYALE $1200. Gregory got it right and switched out. Where was DD2? A notch lower at $1600 in BATTLE ROYALE.

Always fun no matter how many times it occurs as James was able to give a correct response that was his first name. And no, J! was not going to or need to require the last name for the Dahl character.

At the beginning after James's total was announced look at the young man in the audience and his reaction.
Spoiler
Finally a FJ! clue I can handle after two misses on woulda/coulda/shouldas. The hint was at the end and I spotted it without needing to hear Alex say it to be done instantly.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Damn. Went for negbait on Final!, going with the Martian Manhunter. --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am Damn. Went for negbait on Final!, going with the Martian Manhunter. --Bob
On what planet would Martian Manhunter be in the scope for FJ! round material? Generally the correct response will have an air of familiarity to Joe & Jane America. One other factor you would not know if only playing the FJ! clue is earlier in the game there was a Mars clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Did I really just miss this FJ! ? I thought "seeking" and went with The Flash. Maybe hearing Alex say it would have helped.

I just finished reading JL8, an unauthorized comic featuring the Justice League as 8 year olds. Too bad for me, Aquaman wasn't in it, so he never even occurred to me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At least the challengers didn't name Marvel characters.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm Did I really just miss this FJ! ? I thought "seeking" and went with The Flash. Maybe hearing Alex say it would have helped.

I just finished reading JL8, an unauthorized comic featuring the Justice League as 8 year olds. Too bad for me, Aquaman wasn't in it, so he never even occurred to me.
Want to guess what one of the shows was in ANAGRAMMED TV TITLES?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Question for cheezguyty:

I know that Liz Haigney Lynch went through her entire 3-game run in June 2016 without a buzzer neg (only missing her last Final Jeopardy).

Do you have the ability to determine if anyone has had 3 full consecutive games (including Final) with 0 negs?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I've only been able to watch 2 games of his run, much to my chagrin. But what blows my mind is that after 11 games, his average score is close to the previous single game record. Where would his average fall on the one-day winnings rankings (taking his scores out)? 3rd?

Unbelievable.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:43 pm I've only been able to watch 2 games of his run, much to my chagrin. But what blows my mind is that after 11 games, his average score is close to the previous single game record. Where would his average fall on the one-day winnings rankings (taking his scores out)? 3rd?

Unbelievable.
$70,147. Take James' out, you have his average at 3rd best.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Mbshizzie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Mbshizzie »

Crazy impressive to watch....but starting to seem a little bit like Harlem Globetrotters vs. The Washington Generals.....It's going to take a real good player and a real off game from James for someone to beat him.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

What world do we live in where an 11-day champion winning $74,000 actually seems anticlimactic?

I'm kind of worried that James is ruining my expectations forever.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mdude04 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm I'm kind of worried that James is ruining my expectations forever.
Many felt that way about Ken and yet here we are!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm Did I really just miss this FJ! ? I thought "seeking" and went with The Flash. Maybe hearing Alex say it would have helped.

Want to guess what one of the shows was in ANAGRAMMED TV TITLES?
HAT SHELF?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another day, another effortless 47k going into FJ, ~40 clues answered by himself, 26k FJ wager. Ho hum. This is routine. A contestant winning $74k in one game is routine. What is going on.

"C. King? C K -> Clark Kent???....oh no duh, sea king!" Maybe someday I'll get around to watching the DC movies, other than Wonder Woman.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am

At the beginning after James's total was announced look at the young man in the audience and his reaction.
Spoiler
That's James' wife sitting behind that young man, looking toward the camera.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Rinse, repeat.

That banter about the reset button was really funny.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Charlotte" was right on the tip of my tongue, but it kept turning into "Charleston" which I knew wasn't quite right. Frustrating miss.

I knew "The Flash" was a show, but I saw "fast" in the letters and couldn't switch out in time. My only miss in the category.

I saw no way to figure out "quarter" in Jerusalem for $200.

NHO "tachymeter".

All but outsell/sellout in Reversible. Needed the miss there to get the hang of the category since "reversible" had me thinking that the words would be the reverse of each other.

Didn't recognize anything in that Film category in DJ! except Animal House.

Any reason I should know that war occurred in Spain and not any other country? There are lots of countries where Spanish is spoken.

Superheroes always make my eyes glaze over in complete lack of interest. Most boring thing on the planet. Didn't even have a guess. If I have heard of Aquaman, then I didn't retain him.