Friday, April 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:36 pm Another run of the mill $80k payday. This is normal, yet not normal. J! isn't this easy. Have I been watching a different game show all these years!? J! isn't this easy! I missed nearly all of KJ's run due to RL. Is this what it was like to watch?

Instaget FJ. This feels like it should've been a triple get. *shrug*

I feel bad for whoever draws James in the TOC quarterfinals. Not only will they lose badly, there might not be enough money left on the board to even try for a wild card.
Chris Miller doubled up 2000 and Russ Schumacher did 6400+6000 to make wildcards against Tom Baker and his 20,000 + 100

Kara Spak did 6000+12 to make wildcard against the 39800-19200 by Roger Craig

Michael Falk and Bob Mesko both made wildcard against David Madden.

If James gets 40 clues that still leaves 20 for his competitors. A hit on the FJ! clue and it's reasonable for opponents to make a WC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Players have gotten over $10,000 against James. I think a TOCer can match that.

FJ was a little clunky to read though, but I got all three names with time to spare.

I was thinking he was off his game today, but he still broke Roger’s record.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 am Cue the crying for Nate only having one "The" in the Hawthorne title.
But he was missing the important one, wasn't he? Has another rule been changed when I wasn't paying attention?
He was and should have been negged for it.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:36 pm Another run of the mill $80k payday. This is normal, yet not normal. J! isn't this easy. Have I been watching a different game show all these years!? J! isn't this easy! I missed nearly all of KJ's run due to RL. Is this what it was like to watch?

Instaget FJ. This feels like it should've been a triple get. *shrug*

I feel bad for whoever draws James in the TOC quarterfinals. Not only will they lose badly, there might not be enough money left on the board to even try for a wild card.
It's been 15 years, but from what I remember Ken had almost all of his games locked up entering FJ. It's something close to 90%, and I think the major difference between the two is the way James bets. It's hard to compare but I think Ken's knowledge and buzzer skill are better.

Also, I only remember one contestant actually challenging Ken. I believe his name was Michael, and he played as well as he could given Ken's skill and aggressively bet to even have a chance. He ended with something like $44,000, but they both got FJ and obviously Ken won.

Aside from the dollar amounts, yes, Ken made it look just as easy.
Last edited by FS7 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

First half of the J! round felt kinda rough all around. Lots of negs and TSes.

Ran Rock Animals and Novel Phrases.

What was the TOM on that Empress clue? That could be from anywhere, and nothing in the clue or picture seemed to point anywhere.

Couldn't get the first two phrases: NHO "rebel yell", and couldn't find a "gold" phrase to match to "speech is silver".

Didn't realize there were one, never mind two, actresses who played Lara Croft in a movie.

Lach Trash: "Tell it to the Marines", sawbones, Los Angeles, "games". Also got the "dry run" DD.

No guess on FJ! Could be literally anyone.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm First half of the J! round felt kinda rough all around. Lots of negs and TSes.

What was the TOM on that Empress clue? That could be from anywhere, and nothing in the clue or picture seemed to point anywhere.

Couldn't get the first two phrases: NHO "rebel yell", and couldn't find a "gold" phrase to match to "speech is silver".

Didn't realize there were one, never mind two, actresses who played Lara Croft in a movie.

Lach Trash: "Tell it to the Marines", sawbones, Los Angeles, "games". Also got the "dry run" DD.

a music person has never heard of billy idol's song "rebel yell"?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm First half of the J! round felt kinda rough all around. Lots of negs and TSes.

you couldn't come up 3 british kings' names? i hate british bs and i even got it correct
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm a music person has never heard of billy idol's song "rebel yell"?
I know who Billy Idol is, but absolutely zero of his songs. Same with David Bowie.
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 pm you couldn't come up 3 british kings' names? i hate british bs and i even got it correct
The names always blend together and I can't ever just go "pick one" when I need it.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Carroll Shelby?? Add another notch in the NHO column.

Finally! BALLET! Prima ballerina was a gimme. James realized his error on the Jerome Robbins clue while the challengers stood and stared.

Son of Zeus? The badly-trailing challengers should have taken a WAG on Apollo. C'mon!

Surprised "games" was a TS (for jeux)

And even though it was all but game over, Gabby blew it by going back to the $400 clues again and again in DJ

Got FJ, quickly crossed out James and put George. Are these FJ getting easier??

Early on, I thought this could be the end of the road for James... ha! These boards were tough for the challengers, so James eked out another win
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:42 pm Harold Shelby?? Add another notch in the NHO column.

Finally! BALLET! Prima ballerina was a gimme. James realized his error on the Jerome Robbins clue while the challengers stood and stared.

Son of Zeus? The badly-trailing challengers should have taken a WAG on Apollo. C'mon!

And even though it was all but game over, Gabby blew it by going back to the $400 clues again and again in DJ

Early on, I thought this could be the end of the road for James... ha! These boards were tough for the challengers, so James eked out another win
never heard of it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:42 pm Harold Shelby?? Add another notch in the NHO column.

even i got that one and i don't know crap about old fiction....though wasn't sure if that apollo dude was a son of that geezer, but was all i had
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 pm

never heard of it
knew the cobra was named for shelby, but couldn't have told you dude's first name...btw...it is carroll...not harold
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:52 pm knew the cobra was named for shelby, but couldn't have told you dude's first name...btw...it is carroll...not harold
oops. fixed it. "carroll shelby" only has 7 hits in the Archive

what about 'sawbones'? not in a million years
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Flipping through sports talk stations, I ran into the same live-stream narration and this time noted the channel. The hosts on Mad Dog Radio were calling the game like a live stream and pre-called the bet amount to break the old 77K record if "he gets this final jeopardy about British Monarchs right". And he pre-called that the dude in the middle would bet zero because he was scared. I clicked away to avoid being spoiled - I'm just sharing this to indicate that James' run is crossing a lot of demographics now.

I was able to conjure up 3 royal names that seemed to at least go up to 6. Henry of course was at least 8, and I was pretty sure there were a few more Georges after we booted George III. I used to smoke King Edward cigars (6 cents apiece), and that seems like the one who quit to marry a commoner.

James' sports gambling must be pretty focused on the action, not the legends and lore. The France family has done a good job preventing the public from knowing NASCAR is a phony "Association" and is actually privately held. Disclaimer- these may be alternative facts but there is some foundation to them.

There's been several mentions in game threads about how unfair the clicking advantage is for the champ. I think Louis or Kevin could have upset James, but 12 games in, how do you win the buzzer? I'd like to see the playing field leveled by adding a delay time to the champ's buzzer, maybe just 0.01 second per game won, maybe maximizing at 0.1 seconds or so. It's just weird to have a knowledge and recall game decided by gaming a joystick so to speak.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 pm
you couldn't come up 3 british kings' names? i hate british bs and i even got it correct
I realise that the social graces aren't really your thing, but "British bs"? Really? You wouldn't be insulted if a Brit referenced "American bs"?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

If I recall the game correctly, today we saw James go "classical" DD hunting in the Madden/Craig/Jacob style, rather than sweeping the bottom row first. Since he had not been as dominant on the buzzer in SJ as usual, it makes me wonder if he was following his Plan B.

As I said the other day, the "Holzhauer horizontal" is clearly optimal only for a player with outstanding control of the board. I also said you couldn't know if you'd be such a player until you started playing. Today's game may be a hint that James has considered that and prepared two different strategies of moving around the board, to be deployed contingent on his buzzer effectiveness. One game is weak evidence, but if that turned out to be true, I'd be in awe of the thoroughness of his preparation.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 pm
I realise that the social graces aren't really your thing, but "British bs"? Really? You wouldn't be insulted if a Brit referenced "American bs"?
not at all...i would trade my passport in a heartbeat for an eastern euro passport so i could play online poker on a global scale
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ Henry was a gimme with the famous Henry VIII, and then Edward and George were from the 20th century - one needed to start with the most recent kings after getting the gimme.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mdude04 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 pm So according to the Internet, Alex Trebek earns around $42,500 per episode of Jeopardy. ($10 million per year. 235 episodes per year).

James is averaging more than $70,000 per episode.
I'll bet it burns him that he has to ask Alex to read each clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

James might be breaking $1M by the end of next week. Wow. I'm hoping he does.