Monday, April 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Re: Monday, April 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobW »

Archivists wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 am
NEW COUNTRY $800: A 24-year armed conflict led to the independence of this nation from South Africa in 1990
James's careful over-pronunciation of this answer made me laugh - by this point he had heard Maggie's green room spiel at least 4 times.

I assume that spiel still includes the warning of "your pronunciations don't have to be perfect but they can't change the spelling, like the one time a contestant unfortunately answered nabibia..."

(edited to correct nambibia to nabibia)
Last edited by RobW on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

reddpen wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:29 am
morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 pmNever heard of Kaspar Hauser, but that's a story I want to read more about
From noted historian Suzanne Vega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcklUmfHcJQ
Knowing the song did not, however, get me to that answer, but I did pull "Rocky Mountain High" and FJ.
Werner Herzog made a film in 1974, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, aka Every Man for Himself and God Against All. It looks like Amazon has it for rent.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Flip or Flop, and the Bottom Two in Actors.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rocky Mountain High, Global Village, Ashram, Arsenal, Kaspar Hauser

For Rob, Magazine comes from Arabic, not Italian.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm 56 R (Missed Flip or Flop, and the Bottom Two in Actors.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rocky Mountain High, Global Village, Ashram, Arsenal, Kaspar Hauser

For Rob, Magazine comes from Arabic, not Italian.

But then, so does arsenal, and both made a detour to Italian...
from the OED-
Etymology: < Middle French magasin (1409; 1389 as maguesin) < Italian magazzino (1348; compare post-classical Latin magazinus (1214 in an Italian source)), ultimately < Arabic maḵzan, maḵzin storehouse < ḵazana to store up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Etymology: < Italian arsenale (formerly also arzanale , arzenale ) (a1540 in sense 1; a1558 in sense 2a), alteration (after nouns in -ale -al suffix1) of earlier arzanà (a1321 with reference to the Arsenal at Venice), (regional: Venice) arsenà (1305; earlier currency is implied by post-classical Latin arsana (1206 in a Venetian source))...
ultimately < Arabic dār al-ṣināʿa factory, workshop, lit. ‘house of manufacture’ < dār house + al the (assimilated to aṣ before a word with initial ṣ ) + ṣināʿa manufacture ( < ṣanaʿa to manufacture).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

RobW wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 amJames's careful over-pronunciation of this answer made me laugh - by this point he had heard Maggie's green room spiel at least 4 times.
This article is worth the read, detailing what happened when Allen Goodman's daughter heard the green room spiel as a contestant.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow I knew James would eventually hit a DD first. And even with a speed demon like him, we STILL somehow end up a clue short?!

FDR was easy for $1,000.

NHO "standardized" test. Those were tough words; I went 0/5 in a word category, which is rare.

"Flip or Flop" was my only NHOI/miss in Reality TV, and "regatta" my only NHOI/miss in Italian.

Absolute NHOI on the FJ! response. He has only 7 archive hits, the last being in 2006. I'm surprised so many people are saying they got this right.

Lach Trash: "Rocky Mountain High", arsenal
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

James is seriously missing a step and slowing down. What else to explain that I picked up LT on (IIRC) three consecutive clues in DJ: global village, ashram, and arsenal, each worth $1,600. That was enough to leave me in 2nd place going into FJ, but still trailing James by just. that. much.

For real, during his streak I don't believe I have picked up LT on three clues total until last night.

When James hit the DD on the first clue of the game, it emphasized my amazement that they start searching from the get-go. I always figured if I'm on the show and hit one, I'd at least like some $ to bet with if I wanted to. How the heck do you do one of those big DD bets when you have $0?

I'm guessing by the time they began taping this thing all the contestants in the green room had had the living daylights scared out of them at the thought of playing against James. Rebecca looked like a deer in the headlights during introductions. I truly do feel so sad for all of the folks who've become dust under the wheels of James's chariot. Your one chance, and then this.

Tuesday night: the million?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm Wasn't a connection I was going to make in 30 seconds.
Yeah, same. I've heard of the "Elgin Marbles" but didn't really know about Lord Elgin. The best I could come up with was TE Lawrence although I knew he was probably too late.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:54 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm Wasn't a connection I was going to make in 30 seconds.
Yeah, same. I've heard of the "Elgin Marbles" but didn't really know about Lord Elgin. The best I could come up with was TE Lawrence although I knew he was probably too late.
I knew that clue rang a bell for me...

https://learnedleague.com/question.php?80&20&5
Parian, Pentelic, and Carrara (Luna) are different types of what specific artistic material? Famous works created in this material (and which include this material in their name) are named after Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

It seems James has now passed Ken in average Coryat ($29,431 to $29,154) and closing in on correct responses (455 to 460). Also, his average streak is up to 39.9 games and he has a 10 % chance of getting to 75 games. In the end the 74 game record might be the only record Ken has left.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:54 pm"Elgin Marbles"
Is it hard to bargle nawdle zouss??? with them in your mouth?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm
I knew that clue rang a bell for me...

https://learnedleague.com/question.php?80&20&5
Parian, Pentelic, and Carrara (Luna) are different types of what specific artistic material? Famous works created in this material (and which include this material in their name) are named after Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin.
I remember that question. Now I wish I'd spent a little more time reading the exact wording of it.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 am Elgin? Yeah, No.. I think there was something in the news recently, and the term "Elgin Marbles" is vaguely familiar, but I wouldn't think they were named after the a-hole that stole them.
To the victor goes the spoils... remember that it is in Britain that they're known as the Elgin marbles. And Elgin is considered a hero!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

One of the few things I remember about Lawrence is that he died in a motorcycle accident, so yeah. But I agree that he seems like he wouldn't be a bad fit otherwise.

To borrow and adapt a line from Tom Lehrer, it's sobering to think that by the time T. E. Lawrence was my age, he'd been dead for seven years.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:45 pm
One of the few things I remember about Lawrence is that he died in a motorcycle accident, so yeah. But I agree that he seems like he wouldn't be a bad fit otherwise.

To borrow and adapt a line from Tom Lehrer, it's sobering to think that by the time T. E. Lawrence was my age, he'd been dead for seven years.
Lord Byron died nearly 100 years before World War I, and Lawrence was associated with WWI.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:11 pmAnd Elgin is considered a hero!
IIRC when you go to the British Museum there's a sign with a few paragraphs, eminently English in their haughty politeness, to the effect of "Yes, we know we took these from Greece, and no, we're not giving them back."

ETA: The somewhat more expanded online version is here.