Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I thought americium at first (with some trepidation since I recalled it at the bottom and 63 wasn't right for that), and then I read the clue more closely and realized oh, South America sort of obviously rules it out, and easily switched to europium.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I haven't heard of europium. So I was thinking either polonium or germanium, both of which, I believe, were named after European countries.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Guessed Americium, but I see "(South) America" was in the clue. I don't think I'd have gotten Europium in 30 seconds, even if I had noticed that.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 am I haven't heard of europium. So I was thinking either polonium or germanium, both of which, I believe, were named after European countries.
was on the former as well
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"Take away Europium and you will be welcome", said the Chinese prince to the British minister back in the 19th Century. So, of course.

Did Alex say "correctamundo" when Alix got the Pulp Fiction clue? That would have been cool.
I'm smart and I want respect.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Alix probably wins some games if she was going up against the typical Jeopardy field. And she hit the right category for the first DD in DJ but didn’t choose the right square. Not that it ultimately would have won her the game or anything, but that is the luck that allows James to accumulate his big totals.

That said, how else does James lose other than missing a massive DD and having an opponent hit a late DD that allows him or her to get within 50%? Of course, he was “conservative” on DJ DDs in this game, so he may be trying to make the possibility of an opponent doing this harder.

I find myself wondering what his level of confidence is on Triple Stumpers and if he would be able to extract the answer if a potential TS came up as a DD.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Le Master wrote:
mgiusto wrote: Case in point, today's third daily double was something I knew and I have to be the absolute worst at trivia and James appeared to guess at the answer.
Spoiler
Unleaded
That was because it seemed almost too straightforward for a DD clue.
*Are they asking for a more specific type of unleaded gas? What other common enough words are there that they could be looking for? Octane? What's related to octane? Regular, mid-grade, premium. No, that's not what they want. Oh shit time's about up. Just say something. Go with unleaded.*
I got it by simply knowing that "tetra-ethyl was the scientific name for the lead that is (was) used in gasoline. I suspect James is too young to remember when leaded gas was still available at every gas station, and that was why it just wasn't coming to him.

I also got the Pulp Fiction clue and the Double Indemnity lach trash.
Ish
Contributor

Post by Ish »

I know the periodic table pretty well, and the element number helps. I think James has the elements by number immediately available.

On this clue, I thought americium first, but it didn't fit the clue because americium is not mined (and is a transuranic). I knew 63 was a lanthanide, so I started thinking of them and got to europium quickly.
I don't think I would have gotten it in time without the 63.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mgiusto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:05 pm
I'm thinking at this point perhaps the producers have talked to him and coached him to bet differently to keep the game interesting for the viewers at home, this is afterall an entertainment program and how long are people going to tune in if he's just running up the score every single day.
I can assure you this did not happen. And even if it did, what incentive would he have to listen to it? "Yeah, I don't want as much free money so your ratings will go up." They selected him to go on the show, and just like with every other contestant, they have to live with whatever happens absent him breaking some rule.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:20 am
mgiusto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:05 pm
I'm thinking at this point perhaps the producers have talked to him and coached him to bet differently to keep the game interesting for the viewers at home, this is afterall an entertainment program and how long are people going to tune in if he's just running up the score every single day.
I can assure you this did not happen. And even if it did, what incentive would he have to listen to it? "Yeah, I don't want as much free money so your ratings will go up." They selected him to go on the show, and just like with every other contestant, they have to live with whatever happens absent him breaking some rule.
Besides, who finds his bets particularly entertaining? Since he's not showing skill with them but a quirk, I suppose it goes some way to expressing a personality other than "driven"...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:09 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 pm I was actually able to puzzle this one out because they named continents, which leaves it to either europium or americium. "America" was in the clue, so it must be the other one.
pretty impressive you were able to do that
Fun fact that I wanted to post - Americium is the only transuranic element you might ever encounter domestically or commercially. A minuscule (or miniscule, lol) amount is used for smoke detectors.
But, TIL that Californium also is deployed in metal detectors and smoke detectors, so that makes two fake elements that have some street cred. Sorry, seaborgium, all the other vanity elements are still waiting for legitimacy :lol: . Get in line behind Promethium :roll:
Kudos to all the continent counters who got this.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Sweet & Sour(Negged with Mu Shu.), Cop, Shephard, and Unleaded.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lake Monsters(WECIB), Outsider Art, Plebian, Double Indemnity, Soldier On
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 am I haven't heard of europium. So I was thinking either polonium or germanium, both of which, I believe, were named after European countries.
Know your elements. There are only 118 of them. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I really don't fault anyone who has never "heard of" europium (i.e., really known it well enough to be able to recall it, i.e., beyond just a passing glance on a periodic table), since europium metal has no commercial applications and there is no way one would have come into contact with it on a daily basis, like one would have with, say, gallium, indium, chromium, niobium, tantalum, neodymium, terbium, or dysprosium, all of which are in your smartphone. Apparently an oxide of europium was used for red and blue phosphors in cathode ray tube TV sets, but those are extinct and have been for a decade. (Sony, for example, shut down its last Trinitron manufacturing plants in 2008.) Although there's a lot in the news about mining rare earth metals, and particularly China's stranglehold on the sources, one never reads or hears about mining europium. I guess if you live or travel in Europe you would have handled some europium oxide since it is printed into paper euros for the forgery-detection properties of its glow under UV light.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

yclept wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 am Alix probably wins some games if she was going up against the typical Jeopardy field. And she hit the right category for the first DD in DJ but didn’t choose the right square. Not that it ultimately would have won her the game or anything, but that is the luck that allows James to accumulate his big totals.

That said, how else does James lose other than missing a massive DD and having an opponent hit a late DD that allows him or her to get within 50%? Of course, he was “conservative” on DJ DDs in this game, so he may be trying to make the possibility of an opponent doing this harder.

I find myself wondering what his level of confidence is on Triple Stumpers and if he would be able to extract the answer if a potential TS came up as a DD.
James has been very lucky on DD finding, and has had less board monopolization than last week. His buzzer speed this week wasn’t as good as last week, and I think there will come a game where he doesn’t get any of the DDs, comes into FJ behind, and gets it right but loses because the person in the lead got it too.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm James has been very lucky on DD finding, and has had less board monopolization than last week. His buzzer speed this week wasn’t as good as last week, and I think there will come a game where he doesn’t get any of the DDs, comes into FJ behind, and gets it right but loses because the person in the lead got it too.
James's Coryats the first 4 games of this week:

$33,600
$34,000
$32,000
$28,400

Where's the evidence that he's had less board monopolization or buzzer dominance?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm
Wheatley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm James has been very lucky on DD finding, and has had less board monopolization than last week. His buzzer speed this week wasn’t as good as last week, and I think there will come a game where he doesn’t get any of the DDs, comes into FJ behind, and gets it right but loses because the person in the lead got it too.
James's Coryats the first 4 games of this week:

$33,600
$34,000
$32,000
$28,400

Where's the evidence that he's had less board monopolization or buzzer dominance?
Now I'm curious about his Final Score/Coryat ratio is and how that compares to others. It's got to be high.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:06 pm
Know your elements. There are only 118 of them. ;)
learning elements is boring...will pass and remain ignorant to most of them unless they come to be casually
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I think my taste in movies is a little different than the clue writers... instagot Pulp Fiction. I ran the category as it happens, but found that to be far the easiest clue, surprised James missed it...btw was that the first time someone rebounded on him?
seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 am I thought americium at first (with some trepidation since I recalled it at the bottom and 63 wasn't right for that), and then I read the clue more closely and realized oh, South America sort of obviously rules it out, and easily switched to europium.
Someday perhaps seaborgium will be an answer.
davey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am Besides, who finds his bets particularly entertaining? Since he's not showing skill with them but a quirk, I suppose it goes some way to expressing a personality other than "driven"...
I find them entertaining. I think using awkward numbers is an extremely important part of strategy. Maybe not for James since he handily locks games anyway, but for an average player, I think that potentially confusing opponents with strange numbers and making them potentially make a math error when doing calculations should be a fundamental part of every champions's toolkit.

The birthday thing is a quirk and, sure, you don't have to do that, but all I ask for the average contestant is pick your boring and easy-to-calculate-with $x thousand dollar DD wager, and add or subtract $73.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 pm I think my taste in movies is a little different than the clue writers... instagot Pulp Fiction. I ran the category as it happens, but found that to be far the easiest clue, surprised James missed it...btw was that the first time someone rebounded on him?
Pulp Fiction is the bane of professional gamblers.