Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am
mgiusto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:40 am PS: How can I send a PM to someone? It's sitting in my outbox and never sends. Thanks
A message in the outbox means the recipient didn't read it on the board yet. However, since the board also sends an email with the message, it doesn't mean it wasn't read.
There's no way to know if a particular user has elected to be notified via email. I think that's the default behavior, but it can be changed in the User Control Panel.

I will also note that I don't receive email notifications even though, as far as I can tell, I have all the right boxes checked and the correct email address entered. The last private message I got emailed about was last September. I've received 8 private messages and no corresponding emails since then. No idea why. If that can happen to me, it can happen to ANYONE.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:52 pm I will also note that I don't receive email notifications even though, as far as I can tell, I have all the right boxes checked and the correct email address entered. The last private message I got emailed about was last September. I've received 8 private messages and no corresponding emails since then. No idea why. If that can happen to me, it can happen to ANYONE.
Same here. Some time ago (I forget how long ago), I tried to report this using the "contact us" link, but never got a reply. Or maybe I got a reply but it went to the bit bucket with the rest of my notifications, I'm not sure. I guess I could start contacting board powers-that-be individually, if I cared enough.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Well, James has now won more than one half of what Ken Jennings did in Ken's original 75 game run.
Looks like he should easily eclipse the total $ won record well before he reaches 74 wins, provided he gets that far.

I got the "Intake manifold" LT plus the The Meaning of Life DD.

I don't think I've ever heard of the 'Hot Squat" slang for electric chair, but that was pretty easy to figure out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Somebody on Reddit speculated that this may have been the highest scoring game in history for a player who did not hit any of the DDs.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Well, at least we were close to having a close game after the Jeopardy round.

Looks like he wasn’t fond of Monty Python, though. Maybe TPTB are calling some of his trivia opponents of the past to see if there is any other category he may hate ...;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:52 pm I will also note that I don't receive email notifications even though, as far as I can tell, I have all the right boxes checked and the correct email address entered. The last private message I got emailed about was last September. I've received 8 private messages and no corresponding emails since then. No idea why. If that can happen to me, it can happen to ANYONE.
Same here. Some time ago (I forget how long ago), I tried to report this using the "contact us" link, but never got a reply. Or maybe I got a reply but it went to the bit bucket with the rest of my notifications, I'm not sure. I guess I could start contacting board powers-that-be individually, if I cared enough.
I'll have to look into this. It no longer does that for me, either. Last September was well before I upgraded to the most recent version of PHPBB, but well after we changed hosts. As I said, I'll see what I can find.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:45 pm As already noted, James wins simply by knowing a lot and buzzing in quickly. He wins a lot of money with his aggressive wagering strategy and DD hunting techniques. The aggressive wagering could easily be a problem for someone without his extensive knowledge base. He has some quirks I'm not fond of, but there is no denying he's one of the best Jeopardy players ever, with only a couple of others even entering the discussion.

Personally, I find this win to be one of his more impressive, despite the fact that the dollar winnings are on the low side for him.
I suspect anyone with mad buzzer skills and aggressive wagering tendencies who did NOT back that up with a deep knowledge base would very quickly work him/herself out of his/her first game and would never be heard from again, y/think?

In this game I couldn't believe a contestant landed on the last DD of the game, way behind, with one chance and one chance only to get back into the game (namely bet a lot and get it right) and instead chose to bet less than the value of the clue. Jesus, if you're not going to play to win, please stay home.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was an instaget and I was surprised so many had NHOI. But I’ve been on the other end a number of times so it was just my lucky day.

Mark mentioned Yogi Berra would have liked the fork in the road category. If he was watching the game with Mark Twain, I suspect he would not have liked his work being confused with Cooper’s.