Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by GoodStrategy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am

I heard about this change here. Apparently, now any FJ! shout-outs will be treated as additional information to the response and will render it as incorrect (even if without the shout-out it'd be right).

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9778
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

For a threadjack we can remember some add-ons or personal messages which I would think are banned as well.

Jill B C on losing her 5th game: What is Sorry Cory no Jag?

Ken Jennings when losing to Watson: (I for one welcome our new computer overlords)

*********
Those are the first two that came to mind with Keith Whitener's, "I love you, Rachel" another memorable one when he had his ToC semifinal game locked.

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by gnash » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am

Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.

BTW, if you really want to write "Hi Booger" with your FJ response, you still can, you just have to cross it out. No rule can distinguish between "What is Iowa Ohio" and "What is Iowa Hi Booger".

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Ironhorse » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:45 am

I've never been a fan of shoutouts. I imagine they can't stop you from writing a joke answer (What is Jeff) if it's not an attempt to be correct in the first place.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Shaymin
Valued Contributor
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Shaymin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am
For a threadjack we can remember some add-ons or personal messages which I would think are banned as well.

Jill B C on losing her 5th game: What is Sorry Cory no Jag?

Ken Jennings when losing to Watson: (I for one welcome our new computer overlords)

*********
Those are the first two that came to mind with Keith Whitener's, "I love you, Rachel" another memorable one when he had his ToC semifinal game locked.
Not a shoutout as much, but I believe a Teen Tournament ended with "What is some old guy but I don't care because I just won $100,000?"

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Ironhorse » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 am

Shaymin wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am
For a threadjack we can remember some add-ons or personal messages which I would think are banned as well.

Jill B C on losing her 5th game: What is Sorry Cory no Jag?

Ken Jennings when losing to Watson: (I for one welcome our new computer overlords)

*********
Those are the first two that came to mind with Keith Whitener's, "I love you, Rachel" another memorable one when he had his ToC semifinal game locked.
Not a shoutout as much, but I believe a Teen Tournament ended with "What is some old guy but I don't care because I just won $100,000?"
That was Leonard Cooper. Since he wasn't even trying to answer correctly, I don't think that would matter.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1304
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am

GoodStrategy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am
I heard about this change here. Apparently, now any FJ! shout-outs will be treated as additional information to the response and will render it as incorrect (even if without the shout-out it'd be right).
There has been no citation to prove the second sentence. In fact, your cited source literally says "It is yet to be seen what the producers will do if a contestant attempts to defy them and give a shoutout anyway."
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by gnash » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:31 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am
GoodStrategy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am
I heard about this change here. Apparently, now any FJ! shout-outs will be treated as additional information to the response and will render it as incorrect (even if without the shout-out it'd be right).
There has been no citation to prove the second sentence. In fact, your cited source literally says "It is yet to be seen what the producers will do if a contestant attempts to defy them and give a shoutout anyway."
It's hard to imagine any other enforcement mechanism that wouldn't quickly prove to be arbitrary and capricious. "Everything you write that's not crossed out is part of your response" is a clear rule, consistent with other J! rules and standards. "We'll make a judgment on whether you included a personal message" would quickly be reduced to "We'll make a judgment on whether you included a personal message".

User avatar
twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1463
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by twelvefootboy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:44 am

gnash wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am
Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.

BTW, if you really want to write "Hi Booger" with your FJ response, you still can, you just have to cross it out. No rule can distinguish between "What is Iowa Ohio" and "What is Iowa Hi Booger".
This might be James' best contribution to the show. I won't miss the extra sop.
Can't the show spend $100 at Best Buy and come up with something that is easier and faster to use, and erasable? maybe even a keypad to give an option?
Please, not a barrage of cross-outs!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9228
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Bamaman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 am

They don’t bother me, but it also doesn’t bother me they are being banned.

harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by harrumph » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:06 pm

This rules change should be known as the Holzhauer 69.

User avatar
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Le Master » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 am
They don’t bother me, but it also doesn’t bother me they are being banned.
Same here. They only "bother" me in that I think it's kind of cringy. But I don't care how they handle it officially whatsoever.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2435
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:44 am
gnash wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am
Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.

BTW, if you really want to write "Hi Booger" with your FJ response, you still can, you just have to cross it out. No rule can distinguish between "What is Iowa Ohio" and "What is Iowa Hi Booger".
This might be James' best contribution to the show. I won't miss the extra sop.
Can't the show spend $100 at Best Buy and come up with something that is easier and faster to use, and erasable? maybe even a keypad to give an option?
Please, not a barrage of cross-outs!
never understand why they don't go with the keypad...typing is faster than writing

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by floridagator » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm

gnash wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am
Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.

BTW, if you really want to write "Hi Booger" with your FJ response, you still can, you just have to cross it out. No rule can distinguish between "What is Iowa Ohio" and "What is Iowa Hi Booger".

So just imagine the contestant who tries to be clever by doing that and then runs out of time and the system goes dead before he's finished crossing something out.
Last edited by floridagator on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1520
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by triviawayne » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:21 pm

floridagator wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm
gnash wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am
Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.

BTW, if you really want to write "Hi Booger" with your FJ response, you still can, you just have to cross it out. No rule can distinguish between "What is Iowa Ohio" and "What is Iowa Hi Booger".

So just imagine the contestant who tries to be clever by doing that and then runs out of time and the light pen goes dead before he's finished crossing something out.
Light pen has been gone for years. Stylus now
Total game show career losings = $171,522

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by GoodStrategy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:38 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am
GoodStrategy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am
I heard about this change here. Apparently, now any FJ! shout-outs will be treated as additional information to the response and will render it as incorrect (even if without the shout-out it'd be right).
There has been no citation to prove the second sentence. In fact, your cited source literally says "It is yet to be seen what the producers will do if a contestant attempts to defy them and give a shoutout anyway."
That's why I said "apparently" - the only other enforcement mechanism I could imagine them doing is if you do a shout-out then you're disqualified.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm

When I first heard about this my assumption was not that they would rule you incorrect, but that they would still accept your response, but then re-film the ending of the show and make you re-write your response sans shoutout, wasting everyone’s time (and the show’s resources), and making you look very selfish.

The alternate suggestion, as noted, would do nothing to prevent shoutouts in the form of a guess or obviously incorrect response, or in crossout form. It wouldn’t actually eliminate them, just minimize the opportunities for them.

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by kprather895 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 pm

I feel like a previous Jeopardy champ mentioned on twitter that shout-outs have been discouraged for quite some time, just never enforced. Can any recent contestants confirm or deny?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6716
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by alietr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Truth be told, they wouldn't be nearly as obvious if Alex didn't read all of them. That would be the place to start in my book; just have him ignore them.

User avatar
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts, by way of Vermont!

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by threearruda » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:17 pm

alietr wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Truth be told, they wouldn't be nearly as obvious if Alex didn't read all of them. That would be the place to start in my book; just have him ignore them.
1000% agree. Alex has (if memory serves) occasionally skipped over shoutouts in the past. If it's a matter of taking up too much time, skip over them and the person for whom the shoutout is directed can just read the message when the game airs (assuming the S/O is written under a correct response and not intentionally a joke). I understand this issue is a bit more complicated than that, but I don't see any reason for shutting out chances to let contestants' personalities shine a bit.
Dumb college kid. Go BR!

Post Reply