Should there be a shoutouts box in FJ?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 65

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

With the rule change about no more shoutouts, I was thinking that a solution might be to have a shoutouts box on the FJ writing screen, a designated area of the “paper” where anything written in there doesn’t count as part of your guess. I wanted to see if people thought that was clever or asinine, so I made this poll.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Should there be a shoutouts box in FJ?

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:57 pm With the rule change about no more shoutouts, I was thinking that a solution might be to have a shoutouts box on the FJ writing screen, a designated area of the “paper” where anything written in there doesn’t count as part of your guess. I wanted to see if people thought that was clever or asinine, so I made this poll.
Where was the polling choice for "asinine"?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I felt that “No” was inclusive of that
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If people need to do game show shoutouts then go on TPIR, make it on stage and Drew lets you spit out greetings when spinning the wheel.

My vote is no for giving J! contestants a separate space for such things as that would only make it 3 for sure each day. The occasional extras in the FJ! round were okay if humorous though an extra thing to cover for the daily recap in post 3 or add when archiving games.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Close vote for me... Sounds on the surface like a decent compromise, but then... What if some contestant felt obligated to spend time doing a shout-out when he should have been re-reading the clue and making sure he hadn't misread it or something? Stranger things have happened, even among the super-smart contestants that qualify...

So, though I don't think this is the worst idea in the world, I voted "No".

But wait... they COULD let 'em do the shout-out portion during the wagering time while commercials run... But nah. Something stupid would still eventually happen. Murphy's Law and all that...

Just let 'em do the shout-outs already. The Jeopardy! judges are among the best in the world and should be able to keep from getting confused by any shout-out event.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

I think the only correct thing to do is exactly what the producers did. For 35 years, you had an occasional shout-out which was cool and fun every now and then.

James was like the "this is why we can't have nice things" guy. He overplayed it and reached a paradoxical point where 1) his shout outs were becoming labored and boring, and yet 2) he couldn't stop because it became "his thing." Everyone was now going to expect it every time even if they weren't that interesting.

Only solution was just to ban shout-outs forever moving forward, and make it across-the-board so as not to single out one player. Unfortunate, but the right thing to do.
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Let ‘em give verbal shoutouts during the interviews after the first commercial break. In many cases it would be an upgrade from the stories...
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Mr. Trebek should go the Drew Carey route, just ask them to say hi to anyone in all interviews. :P