Thursday, May 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, May 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:13 pm Against Ken: Matt Ottinger ran NONFICTION and Michael Cudahy ran TAILS.
Against James: This is the first category run against him.
And no applause!!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Against James: This is the first category run against him.
And no applause!!
It sounded like they were trying to clap, but Alex was in a hurry to clear the board.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

That Josh was a worthy contender. A shame he had to appear during James' reign of terror.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:44 pm
I'm curious why he only wagered $7,000 on DD3, when he could have safely wagered much more and still been assured of a runaway if he missed.
He picked it first without knowing the mojo of the clues to the category. He acted like the dog that caught the car. This category was scary sounding - you have to know the British Ministers, which ones were/are Tory (seems like a lot of them now), and then spell correctly? I got one of them, although I've heard all the names he got right.
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:44 pm In another thread that was revived today, there's been discussion of the former cap on players' winnings ($75K, later increased to $100K), with the player having to donate all monies in excess of the cap to charity. Granted, these amounts were pre-doubling. But can you imagine if James had only been allowed to keep his first $200,000 earned?
That's what that thread is about? Sheesh! TPTB are weird.

Olathe is a nice town but you have to watch your step for Penguin droppings.

The FJ category is usually a NOGO for me but for some reason I saw that play in college.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:41 pm
morbeedo wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Against James: This is the first category run against him.
And no applause!!
It sounded like they were trying to clap, but Alex was in a hurry to clear the board.
Also, if I recall, the rhythm of the run was broken up by Josh scooping up the rebound on the "back burner". Johnny might have been asleep at the switch (he prompts the audience for DD gets and runs).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

of course the one day i need to watch an uploaded episode there isn't one...rained here and stupid directv is so archaic that it will still go out if there is rain and missed the 1st half of the episode
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm Jessica's response was funny, though
Why was it funny? I mean, it was wrong, Ibsen being Norwegian, but funny?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am No mention of J! (yet) on Josh's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Archibald-Seiffer
As of 20 minutes ago there is, but it inexplicably says he successfully challenged James.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

malaysian capital is worth the 2k box? come on
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i thought the writers made a mistake when they had australia and england as the first 2 countries to play an international test match in cricket...i knew usa vs canada in 1844 was first time 2 countries played an international sporting event and it was cricket...but it wasn't of the test variety, so the writers were correct with their information
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no idea on the final...only thing i know about the glass menagerie is that the st louis crime organization the hogan gang is mentioned in it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm Josh started out by running "B.B." I had all but the stew.

"Bottom burner" and "Paris to Dakar" (again?) were odd negs for James.

NHO "Lusitania" to my knowledge. Also didn't know that Peyton Manning sold insurance.

"Watch" refers to a period of time?

Strangely, all but the top box in both Verbs (didn't know they wanted "cease to be" in reference to a PERSON, so I was stuck on "disappear"), and overthought "The Time Machine" since I didn't think it was that old.

No guess on FJ! The title rings an extremely faint bell, but I know nothing beyond the title.

Lach Trash: sabbath

====
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am No mention of J! (yet) on Josh's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Archibald-Seiffer
While quite a few J! contestants have Wikpedia articles based on their in-show accomplishments (James has one), and a few more based on non-contestant-based achievements (first example I could think of off the top of my head being Alex Jacob), is this the first time that two contestants on the same episodes have had articles?

good retention, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm "American Plays, that sounds like fun!"

Yeah, The Glass Menagerie, a real laugh riot!

[Y]ou've had us make such fools of ourselves. The effort, the preparations, all the expense! The new floor lamp, the rug, the clothes for Laura! All for what? To entertain some other girl's fiancé? Go to the movies, go! Don't think about us, a mother deserted, an unmarried sister who's crippled and has no job! Don't let anything interfere with your selfish pleasure! Just go, go, go - to the movies!

I'm sure it was funnier in Tennessee's earlier draft, The Ass Menagerie

Jessica's response was funny, though

you got glass menagerie but didn't get my glass menagerie clue in my also a master's winner quiz on alpaca?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm
Jessica's response was funny, though
what a theatre snob
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

9021amyers wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:02 pm This is the second time James has rung in for a clue about a famous race, and given an incorrect response of the Paris-to-Dakar Rally.
No, it's the first time he's rung in for that particular neg.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I commented to my wife that Josh built up a little cushion early in the J! round..only for James to get on a fast run to tie it up at the first commercial.

The second DD clue wager of $7,000 - what many would consider an aggressive wager for many is a tame one for James. His first wager was much more aggressive given that it could give Josh hope to get within 50% by the end of DJ if he were to miss.

There have been a handful of strong contenders who could have likely won multiple games if not for James - Josh seems to be one of those contestants. Obviously, we have no real idea how good a player like Jessica could potentially be in a typical Jeopardy game. That said, what will be typical whenever James’ reign ends?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:49 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:53 pm Jessica's response was funny, though
Why was it funny? I mean, it was wrong, Ibsen being Norwegian, but funny?
Not knee-slapping funny - wrong part of the world and wrong century funny. Hey- I was looking for anything fun about the category after Alex’s set-up. Turns out there’s nothing funny about it. Just sad.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm Jordan's team didn't win every game he played in.
And as someone else has sagely noted, he didn't play every game against a totally outmatched opponent (Washington Generals?).

And I know his opponents haven't been stooges or anything of the sort. They're probably as highly qualified as most of us wannabes. They just SEEM completely overmatched. (in this game, by the time they were going to FJ, of all the points that had been earned (62,812) James had earned 81.5% of them, Josh 16.2%, and Jessica 2.2%..)

I truly feel sorry for all the road-kill he has left in his wake. And I keep watching, but it's not all that entertaining to me.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Bring in Watson.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This game seemed like a good scenario for what some have predicted will be needed to topple James: a seemingly strong second player and a third player that was completely out of it. Alas, James was still able to put it away quickly after the first commercial break.

It really does seem like the FJs have been overwhelmingly easy during James' run. Not to say he wouldn't still be champ with harder FJs, but he might have amassed a little less money.