Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Did anyone besides me get Tollund Man this time around? http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1576
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

Did the teachers get to witness any of James' games? Be curious to see if any of them try to imitate him. What was the logic behind Julia's wager? I would've thought the optimal strategy to be putting herself at $16,001.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I mean that was... fine, but people really prefer this to the King, who has recorded scores literally double and triple their combined score, has Coryats far above their combined Coryat, and takes weeks to get as many incorrect responses as they did?
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Went with Orange River, thinking of the Orange Free State.
Ready to pull the plug after the triple whiff on Uranus.
Disappointed they didn't have a particular song by Blue Oyster Cult in the Parenthetical Songs category.
Robert Frost was a gimme.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm Did anyone besides me get Tollund Man this time around? http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1576
not me...can't name too many people from denmark...the few i can name are that anderson dude who created that mermaid, wozniacki the tennis player who is getting married to former nba player david lee later this year, 2 poker players gus hansen and theo jorgensen, and palle sorensen the dude who killed 4 cops in the 1960s and served the most time in jail of any person in the country's history at a tad shy of 33 years...perhaps i will try and retain tollund man and add him to my list of notable danes
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 pm Went with Orange River, thinking of the Orange Free State.
Ready to pull the plug after the triple whiff on Uranus.
Disappointed they didn't have a particular song by Blue Oyster Cult in the Parenthetical Songs category.
Robert Frost was a gimme.
did the same thing...only river in that country i could name
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Wheatley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:43 pm Did the teachers get to witness any of James' games? Be curious to see if any of them try to imitate him. What was the logic behind Julia's wager? I would've thought the optimal strategy to be putting herself at $16,001.
bad wager imo as well...if i were her i would have bet it all...if risking 6k to get to 16001 to beat dude's 0 wager and she misses, she is not getting a wild card anyway...going bigger gives her a better chance at a wild card in the event dude gets it right as well...no sense going small there imo...standing pat made more sense than the number she came up with and standing pat on 10k would have been dumb as well
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 pm Ready to pull the plug after the triple whiff on Uranus.
Uranus. Plug. Whiff. Heh heh heh heh heh heh....
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Almost forgot. For LPN, the accepted response was "licensed practical nurse." Mrs P said "licensed professional nurse". Google suggests she may have a case, but I'm no expert. Any thoughts from our resident panel of judges?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 pm
DBear wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 pm Ready to pull the plug after the triple whiff on Uranus.
Yeah, I'm sure teachers have never heard kids carry on about the 7th planet. :lol: They probably have a mental block that has scarred their ability to discuss this orb. It was an epic opportunity to say "What is your anus?" I'm guessing they would go ahead and have that one re-shot...
Confession time - I actually conflated this clue with the last planet you can see with the naked eye and went to Neptune. I only learned recently that Uranus can sometimes be seen if you know where to look with perfect viewing conditions and Ted William's eyesight.

The FJ clue was not one of the first six lines I still know from 9th grade memorization in Mrs. Plummers' class, but still an easy get as I'm not contaminated with other knowledge.

I'm just fine with the reduced talent level. And these players have no incentive to pile up big fake money amounts. Just win the game or make $16K. I thought the second place bet was fine. Joe needed to put the clicker down at $20K after DD3 and settle for second place if it fell that way. Which is one reason I don't care for the tournament formats.

Yah, the Army of the Potomac was the biggest shocker but it would be better if we all get past the idea of the Civil War defining us as a nation. Look where we are, not where we have come from.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 pm
Wheatley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:43 pm Did the teachers get to witness any of James' games? Be curious to see if any of them try to imitate him. What was the logic behind Julia's wager? I would've thought the optimal strategy to be putting herself at $16,001.
bad wager imo as well...if i were her i would have bet it all...if risking 6k to get to 16001 to beat dude's 0 wager and she misses, she is not getting a wild card anyway...going bigger gives her a better chance at a wild card in the event dude gets it right as well...no sense going small there imo...standing pat made more sense than the number she came up with and standing pat on 10k would have been dumb as well
Last year the last wild card in the Teachers Tournament had $5600. It's not totally unreasonable for $5200 to have a shot. I think $5000 was a pretty decent choice. I'd probably never want to bet $0 in her shoes, get it right, and then have to sit there through the next 4 games in agony hoping for each of the next 12 players to fail to reach 5 figures. Better to make a bet to reach what is likely to be a high enough number and put your fate in your hands. Sure she could go a bit shorter to land on $7-8k on a miss, giving her a better chance on the downside, but I'd much prefer $15k to $12-13k so I think she made a perfectly reasonable choice. I haven't checked them all but I'd be surprised if $15k+ has ever failed to advance in a Teachers Tournament.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 pm
Last year the last wild card in the Teachers Tournament had $5600. It's not totally unreasonable for $5200 to have a shot. I think $5000 was a pretty decent choice. I'd probably never want to bet $0 in her shoes, get it right, and then have to sit there through the next 4 games in agony hoping for each of the next 12 players to fail to reach 5 figures. Better to make a bet to reach what is likely to be a high enough number and put your fate in your hands. Sure she could go a bit shorter to land on $7-8k on a miss, giving her a better chance on the downside, but I'd much prefer $15k to $12-13k so I think she made a perfectly reasonable choice. I haven't checked them all but I'd be surprised if $15k+ has ever failed to advance in a Teachers Tournament.

5600 was the last wild card last year? wow that is some bad wagering on the majority of players to allow that to happen
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:00 am
Yeah, I'm sure teachers have never heard kids carry on about the 7th planet. :lol: They probably have a mental block that has scarred their ability to discuss this orb. It was an epic opportunity to say "What is your anus?" I'm guessing they would go ahead and have that one re-shot...
Confession time - I actually conflated this clue with the last planet you can see with the naked eye and went to Neptune. I only learned recently that Uranus can sometimes be seen if you know where to look with perfect viewing conditions and Ted William's eyesight.

The FJ clue was not one of the first six lines I still know from 9th grade memorization in Mrs. Plummers' class, but still an easy get as I'm not contaminated with other knowledge.

I'm just fine with the reduced talent level. And these players have no incentive to pile up big fake money amounts. Just win the game or make $16K. I thought the second place bet was fine. Joe needed to put the clicker down at $20K after DD3 and settle for second place if it fell that way. Which is one reason I don't care for the tournament formats.

Yah, the Army of the Potomac was the biggest shocker but it would be better if we all get past the idea of the Civil War defining us as a nation. Look where we are, not where we have come from.
a lot different than knowing when it was discovered
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:00 am

i got that one wrong as well
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:10 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm Did anyone besides me get Tollund Man this time around? http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1576
not me...can't name too many people from denmark...the few i can name are that anderson dude who created that mermaid, wozniacki the tennis player who is getting married to former nba player david lee later this year, 2 poker players gus hansen and theo jorgensen, and palle sorensen the dude who killed 4 cops in the 1960s and served the most time in jail of any person in the country's history at a tad shy of 33 years...perhaps i will try and retain tollund man and add him to my list of notable danes
I'm looking for people who did get it, not people who didn't.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:21 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:10 pm
I'm looking for people who did get it, not people who didn't.
well i was telling you i didn't so you could cross me off the list...yeah perhaps by not responding you would have got the idea, but then again i could have been going passive aggro and not responded and actually knew...but the latter isn't me at all...so look at it like this....lucariosnoopervixey posts every day that he got the final jeopardy clue correct...by now we all know he is going to get it right, so there is no real point in posting...so you can take my response to your inquiry like vixey's final jeopardy posts...would know without posting, but posting is warranted in our minds
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I got it thanks to remembering that poll question and how impressed I was that you were the only respondent to get it right!
yclept

Post by yclept »

Not that I have a horse in this race, but damn - if I was up to $20K in a QF tournament game I would choose carefully which clues I am ringing in on the rest of the round. No more DDs, so while it is possible that someone can get within 50%, nobody is going to overtake you.

At first, I wondered why someone with $400 would ring in on a $2K clue at the end of the game - may as well just hang around for the final. However, strange things happen in these tournaments so having the potential to get to $4,800 is worth the risk if the Wild Card field collapses.

As for the game itself, there is nothing that will compare to what James is doing - but that doesn’t mean a solid player like Colby or Larry won’t emerge. I don’t know the order of taping, but I guess if I was one of the 15 contestants, I would he grateful to have a shot at $100K and a TOC berth without having James at one of the podiums.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats to Joe for advancing, and nice work from Julia to put herself in good shape as well (I have no problem with her 5k wager, BTW). I had Frost down within the first 5-10 seconds. Frost is from my neck of the woods, so I've heard that poem a few times before.
CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 am
5600 was the last wild card last year? wow that is some bad wagering on the majority of players to allow that to happen
While wagering played a role, I think the more important statistic is the cumulative 4/15 get rate amongst the 2018 quarterfinal games (0/1/1/1/1 breakdown). It's obviously too early to leap to conclusions, but judging by today's somewhat easier clue and the triple get from the players, I wonder if the producers/writers watched the 4/15 happen and decided to scale back the FJ difficulty in response.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:55 pm Almost forgot. For LPN, the accepted response was "licensed practical nurse." Mrs P said "licensed professional nurse". Google suggests she may have a case, but I'm no expert. Any thoughts from our resident panel of judges?
Not a judge but understanding occupational titles is part of my job. LPN is not a professional role; it's skilled technical that happens to require a licence. Has to be "practical" not "professional". See the SOC.