Monday, May 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
John & Priscilla Alden lie in the USA’s oldest maintained cemetery, which like a poem about the couple, is named for this person

Joe Rengstorf: 6800-1401=5399
Trevor Crowell: 10600-10500=100
Sara DelVillano: 14400-6801=7599 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Miles Standish (Joe – Poe) (Trevor – Arlington) (Sara – Mary)

Daily Doubles
Sara: 400+1000
Trevor: 9800-2000
Joe: 3400+3400

Coryats
Joe: 4600
Trevor: 12600
Sara: 14000

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joe: 1800
Trevor: 5800
Sara: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Strange how the players could answer other clues in the TELL category (about William Tell) though did not know the country. Hull House founder and Venezuela lake are the kinds of things I would like to see get a response while Jackie K.'s sister was an expected stumper.

Sara bet to cover Trevor's possible double-up and fell to the expected 7599.
If Trevor had bet 3001 to cover Joe's possible 13600 then Trevor would have fallen to the same 7599.

The FJ! clue was another fail for me as I took a blank page. I allowed the poem and cemetery portions of the clue to take up all my time and I had nothing. It was only after time was up and Alex was going through the responses that it hit me for The Brady Bunch solution of "The Un-Underground Movie" episode when Greg makes a Pilgrim movie, for the name to connect with John and Priscilla.

At this point of the Teachers Tournament and 1/6 on FJ! clues I feel like I have officially turned the corner and am losing it. This is beyond snakebit.

Nice work by Sara (Wildcard) to knock off two QF winners and at the same time assure a woman playing in the finals. The 7M/2F gender divide looked unlikely to avoid an all-guys final.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I missed FJ too, and boy do I feel dumb about it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Show. Didn't recognize anything there except Ellen Degeneres.

William Tell = Switzerland was new to me.

4/5 in 3 of a Kind and Parts of Speech, missing $1,000 both times.

"Lest" is a conjunction? Damn it, Schoolhouse Rock, you LIED TO ME! You told me there were only three of those!

Ran the "Almost Rhymes with Orange" category.

Shakespeare and Nobel were 0/5 for me.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: adverb, Mountain Dew
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 pm 0/5 in Show. Didn't recognize anything there except Ellen Degeneres.

William Tell = Switzerland was new to me.

4/5 in 3 of a Kind and Parts of Speech, missing $1,000 both times.

"Lest" is a conjunction? Damn it, Schoolhouse Rock, you LIED TO ME! You told me there were only three of those!

Ran the "Almost Rhymes with Orange" category.

Shakespeare and Nobel were 0/5 for me.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: adverb, Mountain Dew
From the 7/3/18 game:
TIME FOR OPERA $800: 13th century Switzerland: this opera, Rossini's last

(Jim: What is Wilhelm Tell?)
(Alex: Yes. No.)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Final Jeopardy!]

William Tell (or Wilhelm Tell)
That’s 3 of the correct responses in the mix with Switzerland, Wilhelm, and Rossini.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 am Nice work by Sara (Wildcard) to knock off two QF winners and at the same time assure a woman playing in the finals. The 7M/2F gender divide looked unlikely to avoid an all-guys final.
She advanced as a wildcard, but she had the third highest Coryat in the QF round.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 am The FJ! clue was another fail for me as I took a blank page.
Ditto
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

It seems as though the parts of speech category is a fixture for teacher tournaments. It never goes terribly well. The contestants couldn't identify yesterday as an adverb or lest as a conjunction. The Spanish teacher at least should know those things. I called "uh-oh" an interjection as the writers intended. But when Joe called it an exclamation I was pretty sure that would fly--either immediately or on reversal. After an obvious edit, Alex declared that interjection and exclamation were both acceptable.

Lots of triple-stumpers here as in the quarterfinals. But in this case I found myself floundering almost as often as the contestants. I didn't know the name Lee Radziwill at all, so no judgment here. I guessed Bay of Fundy for the Gulf of Saint Lawrence even though I knew it was wrong. And I knew enough not to take a guess on what kind of buildup can cause "strawberry gallbladder". I wouldn't have gotten Maracaibo off the clue; but once Titicaca was eliminated, I might have found the courage to ring in and collect the rebound. The Jane Addams-Hull House connection is familiar, but not familiar enough that I came up with it on the fly.

And even when I picked up the trash, I didn't necessarily blame the players for missing. The Professor and the Madman is a good read. But if you don't know it's about the OED, there's no TOM there to help you out. On a DD I would've guessed "Mountain Dew" for the kind of citrus-y soda "mouth" mentioned in "Hillbilly Elegy". But I probably wouldn't have rung in. I did enjoy Joe's guess of "Squirt mouth".

The one surprising TS (other than FJ) was two negs and a clam on William Tell's nationality. I thought that was better known. The guesses of British and Italian seemed somewhat random.

As I say, I was kind of surprised this FJ was a TS. If you know nothing else about John & Priscilla Alden, you should know that Miles Standish is the third name to think of in that connection. That's really all I had to go on and it was enough. (Well, maybe a little more. I had a vague feeling Longfellow was the poet. But I knew Evangeline and Hiawatha were non-starters as guesses for this FJ.) So I wrote down Standish with my mental light pen and was fairly confident I would be right.

Tough way for Trevor to lose. A little time studying wagering (or Longfellow) could've made the difference here. Congrats to Sara. I liked all three contestants, so it's tough to say good-bye to two.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

FJ was one of those enigmas that I'm just not gonna decifer.
markBarrett wrote:Sara bet to cover Trevor's possible double-up and fell to the expected 7599.
If Trevor had bet 3001 to cover Joe's possible 13600 then Trevor would have fallen to the same 7599.
After seeing Joe's wager, a $3000 by Trevor is looking pretty good right now. Maybe even 2999.
Hard to say whose wager was more thoughtless between Joe and Trevor.
Since Trevor was in a dilema of risking a tiebreaker on both sides, Joe needed to bet every dollar to keep him honest. But Trevor forced himself to be correct to win anyway.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Princess Lee Radziwill, also married to Herbert Ross...
Her first name really was Caroline. Player should have received credit.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I had nothing on the final... so with some Wikipedia research I'll help others who were similarly lost:

"The Courtship of Myles Standish" is a 1858 poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and was extremely popular in the 19th century. It tells the story of the Mayflower pilgrims - centering on the love triangle of John Alden, Miles Standish, and Priscilla Mullins. Longfellow was a decendent of Alden/Mullins, and fictionalized the story, fleshing out details of the swashbuckling captain (Standish) and the handsome young Alden. Priscilla is a proto-feminist, speaking her mind at a time when few such female characters would.

There's supposed to be a surprise ending... Read it for yourself here if you want more than this!

To get this final you were supposed to recognize the two character names, or at least guess that a very old American cemetery named for the subject of a poem points to Myles Standish.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 pm FJ was one of those enigmas that I'm just not gonna decifer.
Thankfully, I was able to decipher that sentence.
davey

Post by davey »

JyV92 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm Princess Lee Radziwill, also married to Herbert Ross...
Since Bouvier was already in the clue, I believe you're right. But I still find it weird they didn't know Radziwill...
I read the Hillbilly Elegy clue too fast and responded meth mouth... :oops: But even if I'd read it right I would have gone with (Orange) Crush mouth...
I read The Courtship of Miles Standish in an old schoolbook when I was a small boy...don't think I've thought about it since...(Except when it's been a J! clue, of course. Even then, I still can never remember which one ends up with Priscilla...) But that was enough for the FJ...
Last edited by davey on Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JyV92 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm Princess Lee Radziwill, also married to Herbert Ross...
Wow. Luckily (for the show), Joe conceivably would have entered FJ with $10,800 (assuming he'd have gone TDD with $2,000 more) and lost covering Trevor, and given Trevor's bet against his best interests in the actual outcome, I think Sara still would have won on the triple miss in FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Joe was the only one of the QF players who impressed me, so very strange to watch him crash and burn. Those teachers should be ashamed of how poorly they did in parts of speech. And Jane Addams was a stand and stare?

For some reason I said Crimson for colourful Alabama school. Might be my biggest error in weeks.

Pilgrim poem? Miles Standish and done.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Subordinating conjunctions include but are not limited to:
After, before, once, when, whence, whenever, where, wherever, while.

Coordinating conjunctions are known by the mnemonic FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Lee Radziwell, The Masked Singer, Marie Kondo, and Scotch.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oxford English Dictionary, Switzerland, Adverb, Conjunction, Gulf of St. Lawrence, Cholesterol, Mountain Dew, Lake Maracaibo, (Richard III), Jane Addams

William Tell == Switzerland a stumper?!? :shock:

Before the week began, I predicted Sara DelVillano, Matthew Bunch, and Benjamin Schwartz in the Final, and given the match-ups of the semi-finals and the results of tonight's game, it is quite possible that my prediction will come true.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 am For some reason I said Crimson for colourful Alabama school. Might be my biggest error in weeks.
You were probably thinking of Clemson which is in South Carolina anyway. Or you were thinking of Harvard and Crimson stuck out.
Douglas Squasoni