Tuesday, May 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7992, 2019-05-14

2019 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 2. Category names in the Jeopardy! Round are read by Amazon Alexa.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Rosinski Bailey, a 10th grade chemistry teacher from Austin, Texas
Francois Barcomb, an 11th grade physics teacher from New Paltz, New York
Benjamin Schwartz, a middle school English teacher from Stamford, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
[During the contestant introductions, Julia brings her fists together as in a fist-bump.]

Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And once again, I have my pal here with me.

[Alex indicates Amazon Alexa.]

Alex: But Julia, I have to ask you, what does that signify, that motion you did during the introduction?

Julia: Well, I have a daughter who's about to turn two. And we taught her to fist-bump. And after she fist-bumps you, she fist-bumps herself.

[Julia imitates the gesture again.]

Alex: Ah. Well, for you, Francois, and Benjamin, I wish all three of you luck. Benjamin, you were the high scorer in the quarterfinal matches, so you pick first from these categories in the Jeopardy! Round. Alexa, ask Jeopardy! for today's categories.

Alexa: The categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT HAPPENED IN MAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IDIOMS AROUND THE HOUSE (5/5)
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ALUMNI (4/5)
GAME OF THORNS (4/5)
TIME FOR GYM (5/5)
CANADIANA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francois: 10 R, 0 W
Benjamin: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Julia: 10 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $2,600
Francois: $2,000
Benjamin: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julia Rosinski Bailey from Austin, Texas, has told us that she likes to mix her personal passions into her teaching. And that includes celebrities, movie stars.

Julia: Yes.

Alex: And in particular?

Julia: Chris Hemsworth.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, really. I wonder why.

Julia: Well, as my students know, I find him to be a very attractive man. And I use that to talk about, well, the same way that I am attracted to Chris Hemsworth is how protons and electrons react to each other.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're good. You're really good.

Alex: Francois Barcomb from New Paltz, New York. Your college adviser had a great deal of influence on you with regard to physics. What got you interested in that subject?

Francois: I like it because there's always a correct answer. Nature gives you that correct answer, and you just have to find it.

Alex: Sort of like Jeopardy!?

Francois: Yes.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Benjamin Schwartz, middle school English teacher from Stamford, Connecticut, who works weekends doing pro bono work. I wanna hear about that.

Benjamin: Well, I have to admit it's not quite pro bono, but I work for a phenomenal nonprofit called REACH Prep. It works with students from all over the Westchester, Fairfield County, and Bronx, who are looking for extra enrichment. Those students work so hard. They keep me motivated. And shout-out to all of them right now.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Benjamin found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Benjamin had $3,200, Francois had $5,600, and Julia was at $4,400. Benjamin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

IT HAPPENED IN MAY $600: These criminals known for robbery & violence were shot dead on May 23, 1934

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ALUMNI $1000: He plays hitman & wannabe actor Barry Berkman on HBO
(Julia: Uh, who is, um...oh.)

GAME OF THORNS $1000: EBTG is short for this band formed by Ben Watt & Tracey Thorn in 1982

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Benjamin: $6,400
Julia: $6,200
Francois: $5,600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A PLACE ON THE LAKE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NON-POLITICAL PRESIDENTS (5/5)
POETS & POETRY (3/5)
THE MORE "C"OMMON WORD (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LET'S PUT ON A MUSICAL (4/5)
TICK...TICK...BOOM! (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francois: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Benjamin: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francois snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Benjamin had $6,400, Francois had $10,400, and Julia was at $6,200. Francois wagered $3,000.

THE MORE "C"OMMON WORD $1600: Ectothermic
(Francois: What is cold?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Francois who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Benjamin had $5,200, Francois had $8,600, and Julia was at $9,400. Francois wagered $2,000.

A PLACE ON THE LAKE $1600: Abu Simbel is on the shore of this body of water that didn't exist before 1970
(Alex: In Egypt. Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S PUT ON A MUSICAL $1600: "Kismet" is set in this world capital, so we'll need people to play mosque worshippers
(Benjamin: What is Jerusalem?)

POETS & POETRY $800: A poem about these title insects "in the Garden" says, "Here come real stars to fill the upper skies"
(Julia: What are lightning bugs?)

THE MORE "C"OMMON WORD $2000: Parturition:
This 10-letter word

POETS & POETRY $2000: Struck by the appearance of his cousin in a spangled mourning dress, he wrote, "She walks in beauty, like the night"
(Benjamin: Who is Shelley?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Francois: $16,600
Julia: $9,400
Benjamin: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Francois: Wager $2,201 to cover Julia.
Julia: You have the hope of surpassing Francois if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,201 to force Francois to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Benjamin.
Benjamin: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2006 Arizona State University renamed its college of law in honor of this history-making woman & longtime Arizona resident

FINAL SCORES
Benjamin: $8,000 - $7,995 = $5 (Who is Reno?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Julia: $9,400 + $9,397 = $18,797 (Who is O'Conner?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Francois: $16,600 + $2,201 = $18,801 (Who is Sandra Day O'Connor) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Francois: $19,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $9,400, 15 R, 2 W
Benjamin: $5,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Francois: 22/60 = .367
Julia: 16/58 = .276
Benjamin: 15/59 = .254
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TIME FOR GYM $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates a resistance band.) Let's blast those biceps! With your muscles fully stretched, resistance will be greater as you rise using a band to do these

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ALUMNI $200: In 2017 he received an honorary doctorate & delivered the commencement address at his alma mater, USC

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ALUMNI $600: She's given voice to characters in "The Emoji Movie" & "The Nut Job"

GAME OF THORNS $400: The crown-of-thorns species of this marine creature is multi-armed & dangerous to coral reefs

CANADIANA $400: Some say the name of this beloved dish is from Quebecois slang for a mess

CANADIANA $800: This prairie province that borders Montana is the only one with no natural features defining its boundaries

IDIOMS AROUND THE HOUSE $400: Accusing someone of a failing that you also have? That's this expression that mentions 2 pieces of cookware
(Francois: What is the pot calling the metal--er, the kettle black?)
(Alex: Yes, or the metal.)
[Laughter]

IDIOMS AROUND THE HOUSE $600: Temporarily staying in a series of other people's homes with makeshift sleeping arrangements is doing this--hang ten!
(Francois: What is bed surfing?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the Daily Double.]

IT HAPPENED IN MAY $800: Father of the famous Quaker, Admiral William Penn failed to take Hispaniola from the Spanish in April of 1655, but did capture this island in May

TICK...TICK...BOOM! $400: A precision-guided bomb with controls that direct its fall is this "clever" type
(Francois: What is a missile?)

LET'S PUT ON A MUSICAL $800: Okay, so Val, who sings "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three" in this musical, should definitely be a hoofer
(Francois: What is All That Jazz?)

A PLACE ON THE LAKE $400: It's the most populous city on Lake Michigan
(Benjamin: What is Detroit?)

NON-POLITICAL PRESIDENTS $1600: This author & first president of the National Organization for Women is seen here on the 50th anniversary of the 19th Amendment

TICK...TICK...BOOM! $2000: Water pressure causes these antisubmarine weapons to explode at a preselected distance below the surface
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Bonnie and Clyde
Bill Hader
Everything But The Girl
cold-blooded
Lake Nasser
Baghdad
fireflies
childbirth
Lord Byron
Sandra Day O'Connor
bicep curls
Wil Ferrell
(Maya) Rudolph
a starfish
poutine
Saskatchewan
the pot calling the kettle black
couch surf (or bed surfing)
Jamaica
a smart missile (or a smart bomb)
A Chorus Line
Chicago
(Betty) Friedan
a depth charge
Last edited by Archivists on Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WOMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2006 Arizona State University renamed its college of law in honor of this history-making woman & longtime Arizona resident

Benjamin Schwartz: 8000-7995=5
Francois Barcomb: 16600+2201=18801 (Finalist)
Julia Rosinski Bailey: 9400+9397=18797

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sandra Day O’Connor (Benjamin – Reno)

Daily Doubles
Benjamin: 3200+3200
Francois: 10400-3000
Francois: 8600+2000

Coryats
Benjamin: 5400
Francois: 19200
Julia: 9400

Combined: 34,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Benjamin: 6400
Francois: 5600
Julia: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Benjamin had the lead and 6400 after the J! round thanks to doubling on DD1 yet went into the FJ! round with only 8000. Ouch on the exit from the tourney.

IDIOMS AROUND THE HOUSE $800: Temporarily staying in a series of other people’s homes with makeshift sleeping arrangement is doing this—hang ten!

Uh, yeah, the writers were definitely going for Julia’s rebounded response and not Francois’s later ruled correct response.

Thanks to Francois missing DD2 Julia was able to avoid the lock though little chance to take the game from second place with the FJ! clue as Francois has been around long enough to know how to connect the AZ law woman dots.

I’m just happy to get my second solve of the tourney any way I can get it.

I’m glad Francois solved the FJ! clue so that the $3600 worth of clues not played did not make a difference in the overall result. In a closer semifinal game I hate it when clues are not revealed that could have made a difference one way or another.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Idioms category.

That whole poem category was utterly unfamiliar to me. NHO the one in the top box, which pretty much guarantees an 0/5 for me.

"Most populous city on Lake Michigan" --> picks a city not even on a lake.

NHO American Federation of Teachers.

No guess on FJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

On Benjamin's DD about the criminals, I wanted to say "Who are Parker and Barrow" just to be a smart aleck. But my brain glitched and I found myself unable to retrieve Bonnie's last name. Sigh.

Rough neg for Julia on the lightning bugs that turned out to be fireflies. If only the clue had asked for "these insects" rather than "these TITLE insects". I would've run the poetry category but somehow forgot that Byron wrote "She Walks in Beauty". My brain fed me Ben Jonson as the correct response, perhaps because I see some commonality between Byron's poem and Johnson's "Song to Celia".

I'll be checking the box that says "I sang 'stay away from me-ee' when Alex announced Tuesday's FJ category". I doubt I would've gotten today's FJ without Justice O'Connor's frequent appearances as a clue reader. I think her Arizona connection came up at least once in that context. As it was, after a brief consideration of Gabby Giffords, I landed on Sandra Day-O and knew it was right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 pm "Most populous city on Lake Michigan" --> picks a city not even on a lake.
Detroit was my first thought. It's the most populous city in Michigan. I could easily see myself not catching my mistake under the lights. Or even, on a different day, from the couch.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 5/15/19 NYT crossword puzzle for tomorrow also has a Supreme Court justice name.
Spoiler
Rehnquist's successor on the bench (6)
Answer:
Spoiler
SCALIA
Question:
Spoiler
How is Scalia right? Scalia was not next on the court after Rehnquist. Scalia was never Chief Justice. Alphabetical order? I'm confused or missing something obvious.
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 pm The 5/15/19 NYT crossword puzzle for tomorrow also has a Supreme Court justice name.
Spoiler
Answer:
Spoiler
SCALIA
Question:
Spoiler
How is Scalia right? Scalia was not next on the court after Rehnquist. Scalia was never Chief Justice. Alphabetical order? I'm confused or missing something obvious.
Rehnquist was an associate justice then promoted to chief. Scalia took his original seat.
4 time pool swimmer
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tencent wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 pm The 5/15/19 NYT crossword puzzle for tomorrow also has a Supreme Court justice name.
Spoiler
Answer:
Spoiler
SCALIA
Question:
Spoiler
Rehnquist was an associate justice then promoted to chief. Scalia took his original seat.
Okay, thanks. Apologies for a bit of threadjacking although little action here tonight anyway.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I suspected Benjamin was doomed when he contradicted Alex about pro bono work. And then Detroit?

What an easy FJ. Knowing where SCt justices are from is mandatory.

I think pot-kettle is racist, so I change that aphorism to "that's like the pot calling the kettle metal. "

Largest cities on the Great Lakes:
Superior: Thunder Bay
Michigan: Chicago
Huron: Sarnia
Erie: Cleveland
Ontario: Toronto
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Instaget FJ. Really liked this group, didn't want to see anyone lose!

Nice work from Francois proving last week's strong performance was no fluke. It seems clear to me that he's the best player in this field, and if he has better luck converting his DDs, he'll be real tough to beat in the finals.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Maybe it's bias from living on one of them, but I always get annoyed when people get Great Lakes-based clues wrong. Exhibit A being this game, where "the Great Lake that touches Indiana" was a stand-and-stare in the top box. (And yes, I ran that category.)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am Maybe it's bias from living on one of them, but I always get annoyed when people get Great Lakes-based clues wrong. Exhibit A being this game, where "the Great Lake that touches Indiana" was a stand-and-stare in the top box. (And yes, I ran that category.)
dude is all disgruntled when he himself misses top box clues on a regular basis
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Bill Hader, The Pot Calling the Kettle Black, and Everything But the Girl.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baghdad, Fireflies, (Cold-Blooded), Childbirth, Lord Byron
Douglas Squasoni
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:28 am Benjamin had the lead and 6400 after the J! round thanks to doubling on DD1 yet went into the FJ! round with only 8000. Ouch on the exit from the tourney.

IDIOMS AROUND THE HOUSE $800: Temporarily staying in a series of other people’s homes with makeshift sleeping arrangement is doing this—hang ten!

Uh, yeah, the writers were definitely going for Julia’s rebounded response and not Francois’s later ruled correct response.

Thanks to Francois missing DD2 Julia was able to avoid the lock though little chance to take the game from second place with the FJ! clue as Francois has been around long enough to know how to connect the AZ law woman dots.

I’m just happy to get my second solve of the tourney any way I can get it.

I’m glad Francois solved the FJ! clue so that the $3600 worth of clues not played did not make a difference in the overall result. In a closer semifinal game I hate it when clues are not revealed that could have made a difference one way or another.

It's interesting you say that because if you looked at Francois' history with his DDs, heading into the finals, he was 1/4 in DDs answered right. He missed 3 straight worth $3,000 each before getting $2,000 on the other DD in his semifinal game. Interestingly enough, Francois is, probably of the teachers in this tournament, the most calm competitor of the bunch. He seems to regroup and refocus after missing his DDs and continues to stay hot. Question is, how much does he have left in the tank to pull a miracle to win the whole thing in the finals? Because, like in sports or game shows, anything can happen.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

RTFC! I skipped over "college of law" and looked in the astronaut field. :roll: :roll: :oops: