Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm "Veg" for "vegetate" should've been a BMS.

I ran More Than One Meaning and Add a Consonant, with lach Trash on "vegetate" and "perihelion".

Got all but "literacy" in Test and strangely, all but Van Halen at $200 in the Teachers in Song category. I've heard "Hot for Teacher" but never matched it to an artist, and don't think I could otherwise name any Van Halen songs.

Ancient Battles, Recent Politics, and Classic Foreign Films had "0/5 for Hammer" written all over them.

No guess on FJ!
bkellysky wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm My wife came up with "bullion" in place of 'stock'.
You can invest in (gold) bullion, right?
Perhaps the spellings are different. I'm watching it now and trying to check it out at the same time.

bob
The pronunciation is different too. Gold is bullion (BUHL-yun). Soup/stock is bouillon (BOOL-yahn).
weird...i said that was what was going to be in the top box when they went through the other 4 boxes in that category and it hadn't been used yet
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

These were good boards for me. I would have liked to be in this game. I ran CLASSIC FOREIGN FILMS. Almost made the same mistake as Dave, mentally ringing in with Ang Lee but correcting to John Woo before speaking my response.

I picked up the trash on Sappho and the distributive property of multiplication. I guess the former doesn't get taught in high school or earlier. The latter does but if you're not a math teacher you can get away without knowing it.

For TEACHERS IN SONG, Mrs Penguin and I both saw our pre-calls show up. Mine was "Hot for Teacher". Hers was "Don't Stand So Close to Me".

I had this FJ before Alex was done reading the clue. Classical music is a wheelhouse category. The 1913 date coupled with "pagan ritual" and “Great Sacrifice” made this a gimme even without the category title. Rachmaninov wasn't a bad guess (assuming that's what Dave was going for). Rach was alive and still composing in 1913 (citation: Somewhere in Time). Tchaikovsky wasn't as good since he'd been dead for 20 years. (Also, the whole pagan ritual sacrifice angle just isn't his kind of deal.) But hey, he WAS Russian and his dates aren't ridiculously far off, so I'll call it a respectable miss.

Once again I liked all three contestants and didn't have anyone I was really rooting for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

At least my Prokofiev guess wasn't unreasonable, time-wise.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said Sapphos which I think would have been denied. I agree that the faulty spelling of Rachmaninoff would have been negged and the faulty spelling of tchaikovsky would have been accepted.

Unless the spelling of the clue pinned it otherwise, I think they would have had to accept bullion.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

25 right.

Lach Trash: John Woo

I guessed Mussorgsky instead.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

nobody else wondering why they allowed the 1000 wager when he said all in and only had 200?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm "Veg" for "vegetate" should've been a BMS.
Nah, "veg" stands on its own as a wrong answer; it fit the second half of the clue and not the first.
floridagator wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 am Unless the spelling of the clue pinned it otherwise, I think they would have had to accept bullion.
The category was about single words with more than one meaning. The soup-making stuff is a different word from the stuff you can invest in.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm . . .
bkellysky wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm My wife came up with "bullion" in place of 'stock'.
You can invest in (gold) bullion, right?
Perhaps the spellings are different. I'm watching it now and trying to check it out at the same time.

bob
The pronunciation is different too. Gold is bullion (BUHL-yun). Soup/stock is bouillon (BOOL-yahn).
Thank you.
For a moment there, I thought we had an alt acceptable answer.
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 am nobody else wondering why they allowed the 1000 wager when he said all in and only had 200?
Allowed it? I'd wager Dave doesn't know much about gambling, but I think his intentions (if not his "boss's") were carried out...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 am nobody else wondering why they allowed the 1000 wager when he said all in and only had 200?
Allowed it? I'd wager Dave doesn't know much about gambling, but I think his intentions (if not his "boss's") were carried out...
I disagree. I think they need to take the contestant as literally as possible and not guess at intentions. Someone mentioned upthread that Dave would have a case if he had missed the response.

I always chuckle when people get all excited about using their pre-planned phrase, not realizing that the situation doesn't warrant it. How many times have we heard someone go for a "true daily double" even though they have less than the max allowable bet?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

heppm01 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 am
I disagree. I think they need to take the contestant as literally as possible and not guess at intentions. Someone mentioned upthread that Dave would have a case if he had missed the response.

I always chuckle when people get all excited about using their pre-planned phrase, not realizing that the situation doesn't warrant it. How many times have we heard someone go for a "true daily double" even though they have less than the max allowable bet?
I put the blame on Alex here, I think it should have very obvious that “all in” does not have a clear meaning in this spot and he should’ve verified that the player wanted to bet 1000.
davey

Post by davey »

Is there an analogous situation in gambling, with its own terminology? I.e., a player can bet more than what's in front of him?
I thought in the moment before the clue arrived that the bet should have been clarified, but in any case, the show didn't "allow" his bet. They interpreted it and facilitated it. It's hard to believe Dave wanted to bet $200.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got Stravinsky for FJ, but glad they weren't asking for the actual name of the piece, because I thought the clue was pointing toward "The Firebird."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 am Is there an analogous situation in gambling, with its own terminology? I.e., a player can bet more than what's in front of him?
I thought in the moment before the clue arrived that the bet should have been clarified, but in any case, the show didn't "allow" his bet. They interpreted it and facilitated it. It's hard to believe Dave wanted to bet $200.
I think James Holzhauer has sometimes said "house limit" in this situation. That may be the closest terminology and has the advantage of being unambiguous.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Both of my misses from Recent Politics. Negged with Georgia and Elizabeth Warren.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vegetate, North Sea, John Woo, Sappho, Catherine Murdock, Perihelion, Polar Coordinates, Hyperbola, Range, Distributive

Only 2/5 clues revealed in Women Authors. :cry:

If Connor wins, he will be the second Teachers Tournament champion with the last name Quinn.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sarisson wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm Patrick Quinn won the Teachers Tournament in 2012. Will Conor Quinn win it seven years later? The only other same-surname pair to win the same tournament (that I can think of) are Raynell and Leonard Cooper.
Interestingly, Leonard won his Teen Tournament against someone else who shared his last name with another TT winner: Barrett Block (Michael Block won in 1988).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 am

Is there an analogous situation in gambling, with its own terminology? I.e., a player can bet more than what's in front of him?
I agree that he was vague and would liked to have seen Alex (or judges) ask him to clarify his intent before going forward. But later in the show he did do the "I've always wanted to say . . . true DD" thing, which he probably would have said the first time if he intended to bet only $200, so at least after the fact he evidenced an intent to wager $1000.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Well this was an absolute wet dream of a game for me. Even with a few misses I held my own until the end, and then came face to face with THIS FJ category. I pray to get a Classical Music FJ when I'm on the show, and Russian Composers was close enough for me, thank you very much.

I finished writing Stravinsky before AT was finished reading the clue.

The only thing that would make this sweeter would be to have my winner's check hand-delivered by Jennifer Lopez. Is that too much to ask?

LT on North Sea, vegetate, Sappho, and perihelion.

Whichever of these guys got "Cherbourg," that was one nice get.

And many congrats to Conor for the fine win and advancing to the finals.
yclept

Post by yclept »

The only thing I will say about this game is that if a math teacher was at one of the podiums, he or she would have been able to bump up their score by $6,000....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Female Greek poet? Pure WECIB :o
Belgium and Norway border this arm of the Atlantic? Double WECIB. :shock:
FJ not quite WECIB but instaget for me. classical music * pagan ritual = Rite of Spring. Done. 8-)
The math teachers at their schools should be giving them all kinds of hell after that dismal performance. :twisted: