LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I managed a rare 6(3)-6(5) tie, but could have won if I'd known the Shakespeare quote like seemingly everyone else did (I put Juliet, beau). Also missed "7th Heaven" and perro.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am I managed a rare 6(3)-6(5) tie, but could have won if I'd known the Shakespeare quote like seemingly everyone else did (I put Juliet, beau). Also missed "7th Heaven" and perro.
I almost put beau down, too, but then recalled that Shakespeare's rhymes were often a bit forced (at least for a 20th C American ear) so went with Romeo.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am I managed a rare 6(3)-6(5) tie, but could have won if I'd known the Shakespeare quote like seemingly everyone else did (I put Juliet, beau). Also missed "7th Heaven" and perro.
MR. BILL PLAYS THE BARD (start at 00:45)

Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I lost the coin toss between hurling and Gaelic Football. :cry:

I also overthought the Shakespeare question and wrote Kate and Petruccio.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Troydozzy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 pm I lost the coin toss between hurling and Gaelic Football. :cry:
I lost that one, but not on a koin toss. I asked myself which was more likely to be a team sport and came down firmly in the camp of gaelic football.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 pm
Troydozzy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 pm I lost the coin toss between hurling and Gaelic Football. :cry:
I lost that one, but not on a koin toss. I asked myself which was more likely to be a team sport and came down firmly in the camp of gaelic football.
There is individual hurling, but most of don't consider it a sport. :D
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

I also overthought the Shakespeare question and wrote Kate and Petruccio.
I went with Cordelia and her father, and I like that choice better than the Bard's. So there.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am My first Dolly. I guess my Language score is higher than I realized, so I was assigned 0 for the cane/perro question. Unfortunately I didn't know it.
I got a Dolly too, though not my first--that came in my second match ever, LL50 MD2 vs. soroban (CraigR).
Took umpteen years of French but no Spanish. How is it I know gato cold but had never heard perro before? 7th Heaven was a stab that landed well, but my happiest get was Gopher, which I pulled from the depths by thinking of Midwestern university (mostly Big 10... or 14 or whatever) mascots.
mrparadise wrote:I went with Cordelia and her father, and I like that choice better than the Bard's.
So something like:
For never was a story of more woe / Than this of Cordelia and her Daddy-o
In and out of the pool four times
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

I could remember Dawson's Creek, Felicity, and some other 90s shows I never bothered to watch, but not 7th Heaven. But I did pull Blues Clues after a bit of thought.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:34 pm
I almost put beau down, too, but then recalled that Shakespeare's rhymes were often a bit forced (at least for a 20th C American ear) so went with Romeo.
+ 1 for the Juliet, beau. I felt so silly on the reveal - why didn't I at least test Romeo as I was comfortable that it was R&J - anything else would be too hard. I didn't expect any company on this one.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

That was a brutal set yesterday, but 2 correct is enough to win when your opponent forfeits.

I got prison on a complete guess. It was the first thing that came to mind for the title facility of a TV show.

I might have gotten Reichstag if I had RTFQ, but for some reason I only thought of U.S. buildings. I seem to remember that bit being either a 500K or 1m question on WWTBAM back when Regis hosted it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of these things is not like the others ... just a weirdly lucky season for me despite a meager DE and my worst (projected) TCA in 17 seasons. And it continues to amaze me how similar Josh and I are.

LL Standings.PNG
LL Standings.PNG (11.83 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will add that I think this is the first time I've ever seen it where none of the people I track nor their opponents got six right. That was (yet another) tough set.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:19 am I might have gotten Reichstag if I had RTFQ, but for some reason I only thought of U.S. buildings. I seem to remember that bit being either a 500K or 1m question on WWTBAM back when Regis hosted it.
No clue about why the Reichstag was covered. I went with the Murrah Bldg. I do find it humorous that 8% of people think you'd need 25 acres of material to cover the Statue of Liberty (is that even a building?). I suspect 0.25 acres would be closer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Couldn’t come up with another word for shield. I guess I’ve heard of escutcheon but wasn’t getting there

Reading The Pursuit of Power: 1815-1914. Ypsilantis is mentioned exactly once in 700 pages - on page 54. I’m currently on page 47
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:15 am
StevenH wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:19 am I might have gotten Reichstag if I had RTFQ, but for some reason I only thought of U.S. buildings. I seem to remember that bit being either a 500K or 1m question on WWTBAM back when Regis hosted it.
No clue about why the Reichstag was covered. I went with the Murrah Bldg. I do find it humorous that 8% of people think you'd need 25 acres of material to cover the Statue of Liberty (is that even a building?). I suspect 0.25 acres would be closer.
Speaking of the Statue of Liberty ... I learned recently that a typical train locomotive weighs about the same as the statue ... about 200-225 tons. I can't wrap my head around that one.
Woof

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am Couldn’t come up with another word for shield. I guess I’ve heard of escutcheon but wasn’t getting there

Reading The Pursuit of Power: 1815-1914. Ypsilantis is mentioned exactly once in 700 pages - on page 54. I’m currently on page 47
With a league wide get rate of 8% I wouldn’t worry too much about missing scutage. :mrgreen: I wonder if Ypsilanti has a Midwest bias in the responses. For my part, I just went through all the E Michigan cities I could think of until a likely name appeared. Detroit, Dearborn, Flint all no. I even considered Lansing and Ann Arbor though I doubted they’d be called Eastern
eric.backes

Post by eric.backes »

:mrgreen: I wonder if Ypsilanti has a Midwest bias in the responses. For my part, I just went through all the E Michigan cities I could think of until a likely name appeared. Detroit, Dearborn, Flint all no. I even considered Lansing and Ann Arbor though I doubted they’d be called Eastern
Ypsilanti borders AA. The clue was the italics on Eastern Michigan as EMU is there.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:00 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 am Couldn’t come up with another word for shield. I guess I’ve heard of escutcheon but wasn’t getting there

With a league wide get rate of 8% I wouldn’t worry too much about missing scutage. :mrgreen: I wonder if Ypsilanti has a Midwest bias in the responses. For my part, I just went through all the E Michigan cities I could think of until a likely name appeared. Detroit, Dearborn, Flint all no. I even considered Lansing and Ann Arbor though I doubted they’d be called Eastern
Gave my opponent 1 point for Ypsilanti because he's from Indiana. He got it right.

Noticed the italics but that hint was no help at all
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I WAGged "prison" based on the word "gritty." Without that, I would have lost 0(1)-1(1) (we both got ratatouille but I defended it incorrectly).