LL81: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL81: LearnedLeague

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm 27 games? Pfftt. That’s nothing! I was in grad school at Columbia in the ‘80s when they posted an awe-inspiring 0-45 streak. In the midst, the then-coach Jim Garrett (father of star quarterback Jason Garrett) referred to his team as a “bunch of drug-addicted losers.” Needless to say, that didn’t go down too well with the administration and the Garretts were seen no more in Morningside Heights.
I used to spend time in Morningside Heights in that era (a few years earlier, actually). It surprises me not one bit that someone would disappear from there. (They probably took the Express instead of the Local.)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Woof wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 am
The reference to Eastern Michigan made me chuckle. Eastern Michigan University has fielded some historically awful football teams. During the early 1980s, they lost 27 consecutive games. One of my great moments as a sports spectator came at an EMU football game in the 1970s. They hosted Northern Illinois on a perfect-for-football Saturday evening. Final score: 0-0.
27 games? Pfftt. That’s nothing! I was in grad school at Columbia in the ‘80s when they posted an awe-inspiring 0-45 streak. In the midst, the then-coach Jim Garrett (father of star quarterback Jason Garrett) referred to his team as a “bunch of drug-addicted losers.” Needless to say, that didn’t go down too well with the administration and the Garretts were seen no more in Morningside Heights.
Was Garrett the coach who said his punter had no future, either on Wall Street or anywhere else, after he botched a key punt?

Speaking of Northern Illinois, I remember they are who Northwestern snapped its long losing streak (29, at least. I remember they made up buttons reading "Stop State at 28", and then "Draw the Line at 29", but I don't remember anything for 30) against, slightly before (though perhaps overlapping) Columbia's.

Of course, Prairie View (the "separate but equal" arm of Texas A&M, according to Jeopardy champ Babu Srinivasan, who used to teach there) blew them all away by dropping 80 straight in the Nineties.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Lefty wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:46 pm
Woof wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 am
The reference to Eastern Michigan made me chuckle. Eastern Michigan University has fielded some historically awful football teams. During the early 1980s, they lost 27 consecutive games. One of my great moments as a sports spectator came at an EMU football game in the 1970s. They hosted Northern Illinois on a perfect-for-football Saturday evening. Final score: 0-0.
27 games? Pfftt. That’s nothing! I was in grad school at Columbia in the ‘80s when they posted an awe-inspiring 0-45 streak. In the midst, the then-coach Jim Garrett (father of star quarterback Jason Garrett) referred to his team as a “bunch of drug-addicted losers.” Needless to say, that didn’t go down too well with the administration and the Garretts were seen no more in Morningside Heights.
Was Garrett the coach who said his punter had no future, either on Wall Street or anywhere else, after he botched a key punt?

Speaking of Northern Illinois, I remember they are who Northwestern snapped its long losing streak (29, at least. I remember they made up buttons reading "Stop State at 28", and then "Draw the Line at 29", but I don't remember anything for 30) against, slightly before (though perhaps overlapping) Columbia's.

Of course, Prairie View (the "separate but equal" arm of Texas A&M, according to Jeopardy champ Babu Srinivasan, who used to teach there) blew them all away by dropping 80 straight in the Nineties.
Northwestern's big losing streak made it to 34 games (1979-1982) until they beat Northern Illinois in game 4 of Dennis Green's ("they are who we THOUGHT they were!") second year as head coach there.

Columbia's streak went from 1983 to 1988. The number of consecutive losses was only 44, although if you include ties, their non-winning streak reached 47.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Northwestern's big losing streak made it to 34 games (1979-1982) until they beat Northern Illinois in game 4 of Dennis Green's ("they are who we THOUGHT they were!") second year as head coach there.
Thanks. Maybe the buttons on that famous day read "34, but not one more"? I'd have worn that.
Columbia's streak went from 1983 to 1988. The number of consecutive losses was only 44, although if you include ties, their non-winning streak reached 47.
Columbia can at least boast a perfect record in bowl games. They beat Stanford 7-0 in the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1934 on the strength of their trick play "KF-79". Al Barabas ran for the winning score, giving Pontius PIlate at least a bit of redemption.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

This season has been uncharacteristically difficult in the second half. Many players with unusually low get rates.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have never heard of Ritter Sport before in my life. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 56% of the league and 80% of my rundle got that one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I way overthought the pop art question. Jasper Johns should have made it easy, but it seemed too obvious. I said Op Art, which was way off the mark. Tory should have been easy as well, but I locked in on "hooligan" and just never considered anything else. I should have paid more attention to the political angle. And I agree with teapot37 about chocolate.

I got the other three, but my opponent 6-packed me, which does not happen often in D.

And I am a litte surprised by the high get rate on pentagon. It took me a few minutes to remember back to 10th grade geometry for the formula on how to do that. I just remembered something about subtracting 2, but it eventually clicked.

I am now up to 73 TCA, which is 1 better than my previous best. I really hope that I can get at least 3 more, but consecutive days with 0 or 1 are not unheard of for me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So...in promotion zone, yet mathematically I could win the next two games and still manage to avoid moving up.
This is going to not be a fun next 48 hours...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 am I have never heard of Ritter Sport before in my life. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 56% of the league and 80% of my rundle got that one.
Amen. And I can't tell you how many times I've been in Duty Free Shops in Germany. I share your flabbergasting.

Pop Art should have been gettable, but I ended up with yet another MCWA.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 am I have never heard of Ritter Sport before in my life. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 56% of the league and 80% of my rundle got that one.
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out a sport where "squared" would make sense...I also can't believe the 56% get rate, but everyone I follow got it as did my opponent. Of course her best category was food and I played it as a sport question and defended it....poorly.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 am
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out a sport where "squared" would make sense...I also can't believe the 56% get rate, but everyone I follow got it as did my opponent. Of course her best category was food and I played it as a sport question and defended it....poorly.
I am over .900 in Food and Drink but echo others in NHO Ritter Sport. What are we missing that so many others got it? Also stupidly missed Pop Arr for the loss.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Okay, I have worked at Publix part time on and off for several years, and now that I looked it up I have definitely seen Ritter Sport sold on the international aisle there. But it's not a major enough product here that I was going to remember it.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I knew Ritter from it being in lots of stores when I lived overseas, especially the German import store I went to on occasion. My opponent's second best category was food & drink, and third best was film. Guess which two questions she missed, giving her an 8(4) - 6(5) victory? So much for my .790 d%.....
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ditto. I guessed something ... well ... sports related.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Ritter Sport didn't ring the remotest bell for me, and Google Image searching it now the logo and packaging don't really look familiar either.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ilcap wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am Ritter Sport didn't ring the remotest bell for me, and Google Image searching it now the logo and packaging don't really look familiar either.
I flirted with giving my opponent the 3 for Ritter Sport. Gave it to Pop Art instead (which I wasn't expecting as the answer). Won anyway, but should have trusted my instincts on this one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My grocery store sells Ritter Sport, so I see them all the time. Pretty sure Trader Joe's carries the brand, too.

9(6)-9(6) tie for me yesterday. I'm in 5th in my rundle with no chance of winning, so it's just about the stats at this point...
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I WAG'd "pop art" to get my second 9(6) of the season. I was the only person in my A rundle to get all 6 and, with that, have clinched a return to A for LL82. If I hadn't had such a tough schedule for 2/3 of the season, I could've been a contender.
Hoping for a third lap
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am I share your flabbergasting.
I believe the noun form is "flabbergasm"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am I share your flabbergasting.
I believe the noun form is "flabbergasm"
Hey! This is a family board! Keep it clean!