Friday, May 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, May 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Xu Donym »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 pm Francois got FJ right, so she would have lost anyway
Am I missing something? Had Sara made it a true Daily Double, she would have gone into FJ with $20,400. Bet it all, add Thursday's $4,800, and she finishes at $45,600. With Francois betting $0 and finishing with $41,600, this would have given Sara the win. OTOH, if Francois had bet more than $0 to surpass Sara's potential $45,600, we'd find out whether "Geog." was sufficiently correct with two syllables missing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am The year in the FJ clue actually led me to Nintendo. It didn't make sense, but I had nothing better.
I had to look this up. I had no idea Nintendo has been around that long!

National Geographic seemed right to me. I knew the magazine's been around since sometime in the 19th century and I follow their Instagram feed and know it's very popular.

I might as well plug my Instagram feed while I'm thinking about it: @seussnelson
Mostly nature and travel photos.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

RKane wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am
[Joke] What did Francois say after realizing he would return for the ToC?

Sara, Conor, I’ll be back.
I second the motion. Well played, sir.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am The year in the FJ clue actually led me to Nintendo. It didn't make sense, but I had nothing better.
I had to look this up. I had no idea Nintendo has been around that long!

National Geographic seemed right to me. I knew the magazine's been around since sometime in the 19th century and I follow their Instagram feed and know it's very popular.

I might as well plug my Instagram feed while I'm thinking about it: @seussnelson
Mostly nature and travel photos.
And there I was, doing so well, 4-for-4 in FJ this week.

When I saw this clue of course I realized it was a publication/periodical of some sort, making use of the then-still-new technology of photography. But was there any reason to think magazine rather than, say, a newspaper (other than the fact that a magazine was the correct answer, of course)? Not many magazines around then and still published. I had no clue whatever but WAGGED New York Times.

I was shocked to see this a triple-get.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Xu Donym wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am
. OTOH, if Francois had bet more than $0 to surpass Sara's potential $45,600, we'd find out whether "Geog." was sufficiently correct with two syllables missing.
How is this even an issue? National Geographic's own promos refer to themselves as Nat Geo, which can be found on YouTube.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Amy Poehler, Folic Acid

Congratulations Francois! We will look forward to seeing you in the Tournament of Champions.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 pm
. OTOH, if Francois had bet more than $0 to surpass Sara's potential $45,600, we'd find out whether "Geog." was sufficiently correct with two syllables missing.
How is this even an issue? National Geographic's own promos refer to themselves as Nat Geo, which can be found on YouTube.
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart was unacceptable so it's reasonable to assume a partial version of the full name isn't always cromulent.
That said, "Sgt. Pepper's" would have been okay since it's an accepted shorthand so "Nat Geo" would also have been fine.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 pm Francois got FJ right, so she would have lost anyway
Am I missing something? Had Sara made it a true Daily Double, she would have gone into FJ with $20,400. Bet it all, add Thursday's $4,800, and she finishes at $45,600. With Francois betting $0 and finishing with $41,600, this would have given Sara the win. OTOH, if Francois had bet more than $0 to surpass Sara's potential $45,600, we'd find out whether "Geog." was sufficiently correct with two syllables missing.
Yes, I'm assuming Francois would have bet enough to win if he hadn't had a runaway. And I'm assuming that his response that was judged acceptable when he had $0 on the line would still have been judged acceptable in a situation where he needed a get to win. If either of those assumptions is incorrect, things might have gotten interesting.

On the other hand, they might not have. For that we need a third assumption which I think is far more dubious. Going into FJ, Sara needed at least $18,400 to have a shot at winning the tournament. (This was perfectly possible if she had bet what she needed to on that DD.) But just HAVING enough to have a shot doesn't do it. We need to postulate that Sara would have WAGERED enough on FJ to actually get the win (or a tiebreaker) if Francois had missed. I tend to think she would not have done so.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 pm
Yes, I'm assuming Francois would have bet enough to win if he hadn't had a runaway. And I'm assuming that his response that was judged acceptable when he had $0 on the line would still have been judged acceptable in a situation where he needed a get to win. If either of those assumptions is incorrect, things might have gotten interesting.

On the other hand, they might not have. For that we need a third assumption which I think is far more dubious. Going into FJ, Sara needed at least $18,400 to have a shot at winning the tournament. (This was perfectly possible if she had bet what she needed to on that DD.) But just HAVING enough to have a shot doesn't do it. We need to postulate that Sara would have WAGERED enough on FJ to actually get the win (or a tiebreaker) if Francois had missed. I tend to think she would not have done so.
It seemed like Sara was playing for the extra 25K for second place by the end of the first day. Francois made sure of it, and I guess her bad luck with the DD's made her take a shot at the default win on a Leiderkranz FJ type clue.

I didn't see any semi-finals, but thought Conor was the lead horse based on the first round. I think they finished in the right order. I didn't get too engaged in this event, but it was a nice respite from you know what.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Felicitations a Francois! Bien joue!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think NatGeo is acceptable shorthand for the organization but not for the magazine.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Not sure wherefore the Nat Geo discussion, as the response that seems to have sparked it was "National Geog.", which conceivably could have been dinged as too-little-yet-too-much à la "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart". My guess is it would not, as "geog." is a common enough abbreviation of "geographic" generally.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

The "Not the Mama!" category was a nice shout-out from the writers to the early-'90s sitcom Dinosaurs. For all you young 'uns on the board, Dinosaurs was a live-action (puppet) show about a family of anthropomorphic dinosaurs — dad, mom, teenage son, teen daughter, and baby — who live, work, and go to school in a world where dinosaurs never went extinct. "Not the Mama!" was what Baby Sinclair called his put-upon father, Earl.

From a trivia standpoint, Dinosaurs was conceived by Muppets creator Jim Henson and was one of the last projects he worked on before his sudden death from toxic shock syndrome at the age of 53.

Baby Sinclair was voiced by Kevin Clash, the puppeteer and voice of Elmo from 1985 to 2014 before allegations of sexual impropriety forced Clash to resign from Sesame Street.

The family's name, Sinclair, was presumably a nod to the Sinclair Oil Corporation, whose logo features a green brontosaurus/apatosaurus. As a kid, I was always thrilled when my dad pulled the family car into one of the Sinclair gas stations equipped with a fiberglass model of "Dino," as the advertising icon was known. The popular Dino balloon was a regular at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade from 1963 to 1976 and again in 2015. A life-size Dino model appeared at the 1933-34 World's Fair in Chicago and again at the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:33 pm Not sure wherefore the Nat Geo discussion, as the response that seems to have sparked it was "National Geog.", which conceivably could have been dinged as too-little-yet-too-much à la "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart". My guess is it would not, as "geog." is a common enough abbreviation of "geographic" generally.
Wasn't there a recent FJ! where "Sgt. Peppers..." was the correct response, and they were told NOT to shorten it in any way? That seems cruel.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am What did Francois say after realizing he would return for the ToC?

Sara, Conor, I’ll be back.
Five stars and three thumbs up!
Looks like there could be some number crunching Monday morning quarterbacking for Sara at DD2 and Sara not trying for second place in the FJ! round.
First place? Nah, not interested. Second place? Overrated.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This concept of this shirt worked a lot better before he got traded (and subsequently became a free agent):

Nat Gio.jpg
Nat Gio.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 amBaby Sinclair was ... Elmo
I can't believe I never made this connection until you made it for us