Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

In case anyone else was wondering, James's Daily Double wager of $10,617 was in honor of the date of the first game, and first win, in the history of the Vegas Golden Knights, October 6, 2017.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm
damage minimized. thanks.
Not quite. It's still in your first post in this thread.
[/quote]

Sigh :oops: :roll: I'm sure my litany on Metrology Day is full of gaffes also. The standard for luminosity luminous intensity is probably still the whale oil candle.
thanks. I compounded the error I'm sure with the correction.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm Today is World Metrology Day, and not a clue or category?
As far as I recall, the producers cannot target clues to a particular day. They provide boards for the entire week, and S&P shuffles them.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Well, there's at least one thing James does suboptimally: he often unnecessarily provides the first name.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm This FJ was just a variation on an old Jeopardy! chestnut. Zola, Dreyfus, and J'Accuse...! have figured in many clues over the years. I don't think I learned of the incident through Jeopardy!, but I don't know if I'd remember it without all the repetition. But with the reinforcement over the years, this FJ was a gimme.
Agreed. Anyone who missed this one needs to go do a few minutes of research on it because it comes up all the time on Jeopardy!
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

gnash wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm Today is World Metrology Day, and not a clue or category?
As far as I recall, the producers cannot target clues to a particular day. They provide boards for the entire week, and S&P shuffles them.
I don't know the rules exactly, but there are exceptions to that. There was an Earth Day category on Earth Day as recently as during James's run.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6269
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm As an aside it doesn't surprise me that the "aspect ratio" clue was at the bottom of the category. You don't have to visit many restaurants or waiting rooms to realize most people have zero clue that that's even a thing. I've seen so many stretched pictures that should be pillarboxed and squashed pictures that SHOULDN'T be letterboxed etc. etc. Years ago I watched a DVD of Anchorman with a friend. He had it on his widescreen TV, but he'd bought the DVD from one of those grocery store bins for cheap. He didn't even notice that the picture was stretched. I had to show him on the DVD case where it said the picture had been formatted to fit his screen and then explain that meant it was formatted to fit a screen he DIDN'T have. Then I had to fiddle with his remote to get it to show in 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't think he really cared. I had a similar experience with my parents three years ago, but you expect it from people their age. Still, it was irritating because they wouldn't let me fix the problem. The picture looked fine to them. So I was stuck watching a movie I didn't really want to watch AND it was being displayed wrong. Grrrrrr....
Similar to this, I find myself turning off Auto Motion Plus on Samsung TVs of family and friend's houses I visit when I see movies on their TVs that have the "soap opera" look/effect. It annoys the heck out of me and I have to change it in their TV settings. It kills me that they don't notice it, but when I make the change they all say "Oh that's way better!"

Now don't get me wrong, Auto Motion Plus is good for live tv and sports content, it's just not intended for movies which are filmed at 24 frames per second.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00080741/
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

When Mark polls this on Saturday, I suspect there will be an even greater disconnect than usual between this board and viewers in general.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Le Master wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am
gnash wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am
I don't know the rules exactly, but there are exceptions to that. There was an Earth Day category on Earth Day as recently as during James's run.
That doesn't contradict what I said. It's still possible that they had that category for the week of Earth Day, it luckily got selected for that day, and Alex introduced it accordingly - but would have said something like "Monday was Earth Day" if it had been slotted in a different day.

But it is also possible that they allow for some flexibility for special day categories, given that they shuffle both boards and contestants. I don't think it would give the returning champion any unfair advantage, as contestants are told what week the shows would air that are taped on the days they got the call for.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think it's clear that they do tailor categories for specific days. A few years ago, they had "turkey" as the FJ answer on Thanksgiving. And last year, they had the category "Weren't those college kids great?" for what was originally scheduled to be the Monday after the College Tournament (but the order of episodes got shuffled because of Alex's accident.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm Then, by the time the FJ category was announced, I'd forgotten. I'd also forgotten about being surprised by "Pepin the Short" since I'd thought that was the father of Gross Karl, not the son. Alex did not tell us what response they actually wanted. I'm guessing "Pepin" would have been sufficient, even though Charlemagne had two sons with that name--Pepin the Hunchback and Pepin of Italy.

Of those two, which one were they really talking about? The son found he had "magic to do" in Italy. So you might think they were going for Pepin of Italy. But Pepin the Hunchback is also associated with Italy AND he's the loose basis for Pippin of Broadway musical fame. Since that musical features the song "Magic to Do," the hunchback must be the one they were going for.

So the reversal was completely right but still tough for Jenny. On the plus side, she got to "keep" the $2000 from her rebound on "aspect ratio". But that's a small comfort when you've put up such a good fight (including battling back from the red) and are still locked out and then get told you didn't even do as well as you thought. That's a bitter pill.
I'm sure the intended response was just "Pepin", especially as the clue asked for "this name" rather than "this person". "Pepin the Short" is simply incorrect - the equivalent of, say, how incorrect it would have been if James had responded to the "Hammer of the Scots" clue with "Edward VII".
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

gnash wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am As far as I recall, the producers cannot target clues to a particular day. They provide boards for the entire week, and S&P shuffles them.
Le Master wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am I don't know the rules exactly, but there are exceptions to that. There was an Earth Day category on Earth Day as recently as during James's run.
gnash wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 am That doesn't contradict what I said. It's still possible that they had that category for the week of Earth Day, it luckily got selected for that day, and Alex introduced it accordingly - but would have said something like "Monday was Earth Day" if it had been slotted in a different day.

But it is also possible that they allow for some flexibility for special day categories, given that they shuffle both boards and contestants. I don't think it would give the returning champion any unfair advantage, as contestants are told what week the shows would air that are taped on the days they got the call for.
Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am I think it's clear that they do tailor categories for specific days. A few years ago, they had "turkey" as the FJ answer on Thanksgiving. And last year, they had the category "Weren't those college kids great?" for what was originally scheduled to be the Monday after the College Tournament (but the order of episodes got shuffled because of Alex's accident.)

There was a thread regarding this very thing a mere two weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5183
billiej

Post by billiej »

mgiusto wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am
Similar to this, I find myself turning off Auto Motion Plus on Samsung TVs of family and friend's houses I visit when I see movies on their TVs that have the "soap opera" look/effect. It annoys the heck out of me and I have to change it in their TV settings. It kills me that they don't notice it, but when I make the change they all say "Oh that's way better!"

Now don't get me wrong, Auto Motion Plus is good for live tv and sports content, it's just not intended for movies which are filmed at 24 frames per second.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00080741/
Thanks for this. My partner and I recently moved in together, and he has a Samsung TV. We don't watch that one very often, so I forget about it, but I have wondered why it has that "look". He tends to watch more sports, so that explains why he would use that setting. I will check it out.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed If I Had a Hammer and Seven Days In May.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Edouard Manet, *Pepin*

A few months ago, I posted on the WWTBAM forum, "How was Sriracha not introduced in the Scrabble language until just last year?"
Well, I take that back. How the heck was APERTURE not introduced into the Scrabble language until very recently?!? :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm 58 R (Missed If I Had a Hammer and Seven Days In May.)

A few months ago, I posted on the WWTBAM forum, "How was Sriracha not introduced in the Scrabble language until just last year?"
Well, I take that back. How the heck was APERTURE not introduced into the Scrabble language until very recently?!? :shock:
Aperture was in "A Shapely Category", not Scrabble.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Volante wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm 58 R (Missed If I Had a Hammer and Seven Days In May.)

Aperture was in "A Shapely Category", not Scrabble.
See, the Forrest Bounce even affects people watching at home. :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm ...NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.
That movie is anything BUT obscure. Won two Oscars including Best Director, nominated for several more including Best Picture. Did pretty well at the box office, too... I think.

It was a very much-talked-about movie during its release... HAS to be considering that I, an anti-movie guy if there ever was one, has heard of the flick. Of course, I haven't actually seen it, but that's par for the course...

Has over 30 hits on J! Archive, too.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

RKane wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 pm Welcome Back James!!

RETURN OF THE KING!! 73 TO GO!!
Spoiler
Really hope he can clear out this week without missing another clue; that would get him down to 1.00 wrong per game.
OK, I give up. 73 WHAT to go until WHAT?

He needs another 51 games to tie KJ's record for wins, and even with "normal" wins (not the kind he has been cranking out) he passes KJ's regular season $$ total long before that.

Soooooo, again what is 73???

BTW, Zola instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm ...NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.
That movie is anything BUT obscure. Won two Oscars including Best Director, nominated for several more including Best Picture. Did pretty well at the box office, too... I think.

It was a very much-talked-about movie during its release... HAS to be considering that I, an anti-movie guy if there ever was one, has heard of the flick. Of course, I haven't actually seen it, but that's par for the course...

Has over 30 hits on J! Archive, too.
Seems super generational. I doubt anyone under 40 has heard of it.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm I loved that James wrote his name in the style of the logo today. Reminds me of the weird ways Ken wrote his name (my favorites being "dictionary pronunciation" and "cuneiform").

Double overturn before FJ!? That has to be a rarity.

Hammer didn't run Hammer. Didn't get the bottom 2.

Murphy Brown, Degree in Literature, Prince, and Movie Title. Despite my affinity for word categories, I was somehow also 0/5 in Double L.

"Hotel chain whose stock symbol is H" seemed like MASSIVE negbait for "Holiday Inn". Naturally, that cost me the run.

NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.

All but the top box in Shapely. Just couldn't put the pieces together on that one. Didn't know "asteroid" could be an adjective, and my brain snagged on "stellar". Also just somehow never made the star->aster->asteroid connection on that word, since "asteroid" just seemed too short a word to even have a prefix or suffix in the first place (same problem I had with "diode").

All but "puggle" in Scrabble.

French Authors? Yeah, I'm screwed here. Correct response doesn't ring any bells for me.
why? it contains two words...good chance their stock symbol isn't going to be 1 letter

born on the fourth of july as obscure? GTFO